BRexit : Shall UK stay in EU or go now?

Congratulations to "Middle England" where people genuinely believe that Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage have their best interests at heart. Congratulations also to David Cameron whose tactical manoeuvring has backfired majorly and might spell the end of the only thing that's managed to keep European nationalists from killing each other en masse every couple of years.

I wasn't expecting this to happen. Interesting times ahead. Will the EU spite the UK or hope to entice them to rejoin?

I'm shocked and appalled to see the final result of the vote, and wish the Brits strength on the rocky road that's now ahead of them. I also hope that this won't cause a ripple effect throughout other significant EU nations.

Will the EU spite the UK or hope to entice them to rejoin?
There has been talk of "making an example of the UK". There certainly is very little love lost between the EU (as an organisation) and the Brexiteers, but seeing how the referendum is not legally binding and a Brexit majority in the Commons is not guaranteed, all remains to be seen.

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F96245%2FTrump_kissing_Johnson_street_art.jpg

The pound drops dramatically - bad news for those Britons who planned a holiday in the second half of the year. UK also lost its AAA rating straight away. The Brexit supporters cheer while the rest of Europe does a facepalm (well, except for some nationalist rightwing parties).

So what now?

SPIEGEL Online made a probable scenario of what will happen next:

Friday, June 24th:
Prime minister Cameron will inform the EU that the United Kingdom plans on leaving the European Union as soon as possible. London and Frankfurt stock exchanges will open under massive pressure. The European Central Bank is ready to interfere, if necessary. Before noon the foreign ministers of the EU founding members France, Germany, The Netherlands, Italy, Belgium and Luxemburg will meet. They will probably make statements like this:
- They regret Britain leaving the EU
- They respect the decision of the British people
- They are determined to further develop and improve the EU

Sunday, June 26th:
Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the EU commission, will call an unscheduled meeting of the EU commisson: The formalities of the Brexit must be dealt with. Experts and legal experts shall make suggestions, so the EU citizens and the financial markets know by Monday of what is going to happen next.

Tuesday, June 28th:
An EU summit starts in Brussels. Prime minister Cameron will inform current EU council president Donald Tusk that Britain will leave the EU under article 50 of the EU treaties.

Wednesday, June 29th:
The second day of the summit will already be without Cameron. The remaining 27 heads of state will debate of how to keep the EU together and how to fix the holes in the EU budget that the Brexit will create. Germany and France will very likely present ideas to strengthen the cohesion within the EU by introducing reforms and generally getting closer together. However, immediate measurements are unlikely due to elections in France and Germany in 2017.

The following months:
Even after officially announcing to leave the EU, things will remain at current status quo for the next two years, which means all British EU officials will remain in their jobs for the time being. Same goes for the British members of the EU parliament. The British government will be busy preventing another attempt of Scotland becoming independent.
The EU will try to make the Brexit as painful as possible for Britain in order to prevent other countries following the British example. A further participation in the common EU market will be very expensive for Britain. In the end the cost might be higher than before because no money is coming back from Brussels anymore.
Cutting all legal and contractual ties with the EU will probaby take two years. Then the relations between Britain and the EU need to be newly negotiated. All 27 member countries and the European parliament will have to agree to the new terms. The whole process is expected to take at least five years.

Personal addition by me: In the end the result will much likely be that Britain can partake in the European common market but has to pay dearly and still follow the same rules and regulations the Brexit supporters agitated so angrily against. The only difference: Britain has no say anymore in EU affairs whatsoever. And if at some point in the future Britain should decide to join the EU again because they have enough from being insignificant, it will definitely be without any of the discounts and advantages Mrs. Thatcher negotiated in the 80's.

I feel sorry for all those who voted for Britain to remain within the EU...

I wasn't expecting this to happen. Interesting times ahead. Will the EU spite the UK or hope to entice them to rejoin?

Has nothing to do with spite but with enlightened self interest. The EU has to be very strict and hard towards Britain in order to prevent other countries following their example. Everyone will watch how the EU handles it and if they are too soft with Britain, it will backfire on them. it's no secret that most Europeans were getting more and more annoyed by Britain demanding special treatment all the time. So no. There will be no cushions.

I predict very painful times for Britain in the future. No more niceties, no more discounts, no more exceptions... and no say in anything anymore.

Last edited:
Fuck. That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(...)
The following months:
Even after officially announcing to leave the EU, things will remain at current status quo for the next two years, which means all British EU officials will remain in their jobs for the time being. Same goes for the British members of the EU parliament. The British government will be busy preventing another attempt of Scotland becoming independent.
The EU will try to make the Brexit as painful as possible for Britain in order to prevent other countries following the British example. A further participation in the common EU market will be very expensive for Britain. In the end the cost might be higher than before because no money is coming back from Brussels anymore.
Cutting all legal and contractual ties with the EU will probaby take two years. Then the relations between Britain and the EU need to be newly negotiated. All 27 member countries and the European parliament will have to agree to the new terms. The whole process is expected to take at least five years.

I'd like to highlight this sentence for its irony-value. So it's ok for the British government to leave the UK, but it's not ok for Scotland to leave GB? If you want independence you can't deny it to others.

Nigel Verarsch Farage is calling for a new national holiday: 23 June, to be called "Independence Day". Obviously, the irony escapes him.

- - - Updated - - -

...and David Cameron resigns, effective October. Source: BBC News ticker.

The only thing that bothers me at the moment is that guys like Farage, Boris Johnson and the English Yellow Press will keep on taking the piss out of the British public, especially when the positive effects they predicted simply will not come and the opposite happens instead.

If things don't go smoothly and the EU predictably will be hard on Britain, guess who they will blame?

And guess guess who 51 % of the British people will believe?

Which incidentally would prove that 51 % of the British public are indeed ignorant and/or stupid.

For those who are interested, here's a chart of who voted how (blue=stay, red=leave):

27771349872_07c8c994c6_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'd like to highlight this sentence for its irony-value. So it's ok for the British government to leave the UK, but it's not ok for Scotland to leave GB? If you want independence you can't deny it to others.

Yes I was thinking about that when I heard that Scotland voted to stay, if this development will make the Scots demand a re-vote on their allegiance to GB very soon...?

That shows a severe lack of balls.

If I was from the opposition and I forced a referendum asking people if the government should give them all new cars, it'd pass. However one would expect for the president of that country to veto such thing and say "hey this shit won't fly cos we can't afford it".

That shows a severe lack of balls.

If I was from the opposition and I forced a referendum asking people if the government should give them all new cars, it'd pass. However one would expect for the president of that country to veto such thing and say "hey this shit won't fly cos we can't afford it".

You know, I know many here who say that if Britain doesn't want to be one of us anymore, they better leave. Astonishingly the percentage of Brexit supporters has about the same percentage mirrored here who think: Good riddance.

Fingers crossed for Scottish (and possibly Northern Irish) independence. If the English and the Welsh decide to make their stew with manure, let them eat it on their own.

It's slightly terrifying that the future of a united Europe depends in no small part on say-nothing-do-nothing Angela Merkel and Fran?ois Hollande. :blink:

Last edited:
In the meantime, Frankfurt inhabitants are worried that rents will rise when appr. 10,000 bankers move from London to Frankfurt :rolleyes:

One thing is for sure: Britain will pay a dear price for leaving the EU; to teach the other, like Mac was saying. Whatever we believe of the EU, it is still looking towards its own interests, not the ones of brexiters.

https://twitter.com/emmielociraptor/status/746232580857442304/photo/1
Clsmi6DUsAQ8tQT.jpg

:mrgreen:

In the meantime, Frankfurt inhabitants are worried that rents will rise when appr. 10,000 bankers move from London to Frankfurt :rolleyes:
The same news is being released here, but with Paris instead of Frankfurt ... and let?s be honest - you can move from London to Paris without it being a step down for you ... but the same sentence cannot be said with Frankfurt instead of Paris without bursting out in laughter :D

The british people have spoken. It may not be what I hoped for, but it has to be accepted either way. I wish the best to Britain (or England and Wales?) and I hope this will be a wake up call for the EU to go and speed up the process of reform that it needs in some areas.

What I will generally say is that I think the general hysteria today is not helping anyone. Have a laugh about it instead, carry on and have some tea ...

e7f74eb0a96fd15107e167d1109c12d7_original--560x417.jpg

conscious uncoupling ... lol. You brits are so funny even when you don?t mean to ...

Last edited:
The only thing that bothers me at the moment is that guys like Farage, Boris Johnson and the English Yellow Press will keep on taking the piss out of the British public, especially when the positive effects they predicted simply will not come and the opposite happens instead.

If things don't go smoothly and the EU predictably will be hard on Britain, guess who they will blame?

The three clowns are the last people you want to send to Europe to negotiate a deal.

Reintroducing a land border in Northern Ireland could have a huge destabilising effect on the peace process and probably will accelerate calls for NI leaving UK.

Nigel Farage?s victory speech was a triumph of poor taste and ugliness

But for poor taste and ugly triumph, nothing matched his assertion that this had happened ?without having to fight, without a single bullet being fired?.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/nigel-farage-ugliness-bullet-fired

Its amazing that there's what Cameron calls a psychotic internal conflict in his party, but are still ahead in the polls and the opposition are not looking like they could beat them. Tories have never been in such chaos.

Hard to see how Jeremy Corbyn can stay as Labour leader after their ?lukewarm? and backward-looking campaign.

Last edited: