Theresa May is the new Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
Theresa May says UK will 'work for everyone' as she becomes prime minister

The UK's new prime minister Theresa May has vowed to create a country that works for all not just the "privileged few".

Speaking outside 10 Downing Street, the former home secretary said it would be her mission to "build a better Britain". She promised to give people who were "just managing" and "working around the clock" more control over their lives. Mrs May is the UK's second female prime minister, after Margaret Thatcher. Her husband Philip was standing behind her as she made her first public speech in the role, highlighting the "precious bond" between England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and between "every one of us".

"That means fighting against the burning injustice that if you're born poor you will die on average nine years earlier than others," she said. For an "ordinary working class family", she added, "life is much harder than many people in Westminster realise". Speaking directly to people who were "just managing", she said: "The government I lead will be driven, not by the interests of the privileged few, but by yours. We will do everything we can to give you more control over your lives." She also paid tribute to her predecessor, David Cameron, saying he had been a "great, modern prime minister".

Mrs May arrived at Downing Street from Buckingham Palace, where she officially accepted the Queen's invitation to form a new government. Earlier the Queen accepted Mr Cameron's resignation as prime minister. In his farewell statement outside Downing Street, Mr Cameron said Mrs May would provide "strong and stable leadership" and wished her well in her negotiations with the EU. Mrs May, 59, suddenly won the Conservative leadership contest after rival candidate Andrea Leadsom pulled out on Monday.
One of her first tasks will be to appoint her new ministerial team.
I'd be interested in our UK members' opinions on Mrs May. :)

I'm not sure his policies on pie are good for the UK though.

He's gonna bomb the Cotswolds.

As long as he also shoots those people who take forever to come out of the shop and move their car after they have fueled up it's fine by me....

I quite like her but she still has to cope with the slim majority which unfortunately means appeasing the elements on the party further to the right.
The cabinet appointments all look fine apart from Johnson as foreign secretary, she should have buried him in some less important role.

BBC news is reporting that Bill Bryson has been deported.

BBC News said:
Prime Minister May released a public statement this morning.

"That man is a danger, frankly. If there is one thing I can?t stand it?s beardy, sanctimonious, patronising Americans in tartan trousers coming to England and trying to persuade us to turn into a museum. He wants the East End full of cheeky Cockney chaps pushing wheelbarrows full of eels and he wants northerers to be industrialists with big braces and blokes dying of consumption - 'Good morning Bill, I?ve got the consumption, it?s tradition alright'. I say Bill, if you?re watching - okay, you won?t be watching, obviously, because I'm not talking about steam engines or longboats or bear-baiting - but if you?ve happened to tune in by mistake: We?re not interested in your views of stupid Americans who come over here with their big video cameras saying Gee, I love your history, it?s just so old. Sod off!"

Braindead and clueless.

So when one of the most important tech companies in the world is sold to foreign investors:

Prime Minister Theresa May said the Softbank deal showed the UK economy could be successful after the country voted to leave the European Union.

ARM founder says Softbank deal is 'sad day' for UK tech
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36827769