The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

Ed,

This will explain why US healthcare is as expensive as it is better than I could. TL;DW version is that it's all about negotiation, there are no fixed costs and you go high to meet in the middle.

McDonald's analogy is a bad one on multiple levels, there is mandate to eat there and there are foods that are not McD, in case of healthcare all treatments are the same no matter where you go. The skill of the practitioner is the only difference but treatment protocols are not created by the practitioner (though they have the option to ignore them)

As far as government backed insurance vs privately backed goes. The main benefit of a gov't run insurance can basically set w/e prices they want with the providers. Kind of like I had no choice but to pay $130 to renew registration on my car. I couldn't go to another DMV for a better deal... That keeps costs artificially low and means possibly less providers as the profit motive is diminished, it also doesn't actually solve the problem of lack of innovation in the cure department, in fact it may exacerbate it as it makes sense to do more treatment and management since profit-per-treatment is less.

Having said that, there is a very definite public benefit to having a universal healthcare.

P.S. Past tense of "cost" is "cost" because English is fucking retarded.

Last edited:
SirEdward;n3541494 said:
The US system is far overpriced compared to the rest of the world. To get you a sense of proportions, the surgery I had, alone, would have costed something like 140k dollars in the US (not including the bed and the after-surgery care): it would have costed 20k Euro in Italy if done by a private clinic. The main reason is: in the US that is a market, and companies price their products to get the maximum profit.
The reason that surgery costs so much in the US is because of things like insurance. It's the same story with college tuition, the government backed student loans, so colleges raised prices. That forces people who would have paid cash, in the past, into student loans and years of debt.

Also, a lot of drugs and various other treatments are developed in the US, since this is one of the only places where they can actually turn a profit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some parts of your treatment were originally developed here, for example, where there was a profit incentive to actually innovate and develop such things.

SirEdward;n3541494 said:
Yes, but I don't think this will get healthcare better for people; companies will be forced to reduce prices because people would have less money, but people will have less money nonetheless,so they will buy less. In the end, what companies will do is lower prices enough to get their business going, not to get people healthy.
The problem is that the product they're selling is healthcare. If their product is garbage, no one is going to buy it. People are willing spend money, but they need to feel like they're getting something substantial in return for it.

SirEdward;n3541494 said:
Eating at McDonald's on a regular basis -will- destroy your health and life, even if it is cheaper to eat there than in a restaurant with better food. But it's not that McDonald's is bad per se, or that its food is the devil (though it is junk food indeed), the point is that McDonald's has a goal, and the goal is profit, not giving people food which will help them in the long run. This makes all the difference.
The sole point of the McDonalds analogy wasn't health or sustenance, it was simply pointing out that selling lots and lots or products and services to lots and lots of people will result in higher profits than selling a small number of products/services to a very small number of people. To use a different analogy, Honda will make more money than Ferrari, because they're able to offer their products to a much larger pool of people, thanks to lower prices. But the products still need to be good, because people aren't stupid, even when it comes to cheap vehicles.

prizrak;n3541515 said:
Ed,
This will explain why US healthcare is as expensive as it is better than I could. TL;DW version is that it's all about negotiation, there are no fixed costs and you go high to meet in the middle.

Very nice indeed, it shows perfectly well why profit at all costs from everyone might produce idiotic, inefficient outcomes.

As far as government backed insurance vs privately backed goes. The main benefit of a gov't run insurance can basically set w/e prices they want with the providers. Kind of like I had no choice but to pay $130 to renew registration on my car. I couldn't go to another DMV for a better deal... That keeps costs artificially low and means possibly less providers as the profit motive is diminished, it also doesn't actually solve the problem of lack of innovation in the cure department, in fact it may exacerbate it as it makes sense to do more treatment and management since profit-per-treatment is less.

I think you are mostly right, but I see a catch, and it is precisely because we are speaking of medicine. On one hand, you may have all the artificially low price you want, but if a private manages to give you better cures and cares, people will flock there, especially the wealthiest. This happens in Italy: State funded healthcare might be as high standard as the best hospital in the world in some areas, and get as low as an underdeveloped country in others, or be on the cutting edge in a field and quite backward in others.

When bad things happen, or if private manages to get just better than the publicly funded, people will go there and pay what they ask. Plus, most of the times, particularly for the best hospitals, waiting lists are insanely long, and people will shortcut to the private sector to have things done quickly.

On the other hand, research is still done in Italy, and it is mostly publicly-funded. It would also work extremely well in medicine, was it not for "barony", which is a different problem altogether and gives a name to university professors assigning research places out of sympathy or echange of favours instead of merit (which is, it is necessary to admit, something that profit-only oriented systems tend to reduce to very low levels). As it is now, outcomes are interesting, but not as good as they should.

To sum up: State funded healthcare doesn't mean the private sector will die, nor it means that research is not done, but of course it must be built correctly to avoid other form of waste and corruption.

P.S. Past tense of "cost" is "cost" because English is fucking retarded.

Thanks! To think I should remember it by now... 20 years of studies thrown in the toilet...

TC;n3541523 said:
The reason that surgery costs so much in the US is because of things like insurance. It's the same story with college tuition, the government backed student loans, so colleges raised prices. That forces people who would have paid cash, in the past, into student loans and years of debt.

I suspect the reason shown by Priz are far more to the point.

Also, a lot of drugs and various other treatments are developed in the US, since this is one of the only places where they can actually turn a profit. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some parts of your treatment were originally developed here, for example, where there was a profit incentive to actually innovate and develop such things.

Private profits exist in Italy too, and at the same time, most of the italian medical research comes from the mostly public (with some private excellences) universities, and it may be quite good.

The problem is that the product they're selling is healthcare. If their product is garbage, no one is going to buy it.

The problem in general is that people are not able to know what they are buying (say, problems will show up after years - McDonald's) or if they can't choose not to buy it, you will be able to rob them, particularly if the only drive is profit. Which is what we can see happening in healthcare.

People are willing spend money, but they need to feel like they're getting something substantial in return for it.

And they also need to get it. If they only feel it, they'll get robbed (see far overpriced luxury items).

The sole point of the McDonalds analogy wasn't health or sustenance, it was simply pointing out that selling lots and lots or products and services to lots and lots of people will result in higher profits than selling a small number of products/services to a very small number of people.

That is true, it translates in higher volumes and, if they are high enough, in higher profits, even at a lower per product margin. But it also means higher investments, higher costs for infrastructures, higher need of specialized people working. AND, it requires a higher number of customers. That is not always
the case with healthcare. Not all specialized roles can be filled, not all infrastructers can be doubled, but mostly, the amount of people requiring a certain treatment is not going to get any higher even if you invest and advertise, unless you are cheting people in buying things they don't need; take this drug even if you don't need it, even if it will have dire consequences on the entire medical field (antibiotics overuse?), even if it has the potential of harming you more than it helps - we see it everyday. short-term-profit-driven healthcare is dangerously inefficient and damaging.

Anyway, the point of all this was to show that when people think that some kind of solutions are good, this tells a lot about -how- they think, what their priorities are, what their valours are. Most of the times, with decent people, it depends on the level of complexity or the scale they use to look at and cathegorize the world, given that things usually change if you look at them from different perspective, and each one of them is not necessarily better or more true than the other.

------

Blind_Io;n3541559 said:
Another day, another blunder.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/w...rump-move.html

Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capitol and move the embassy from Tel Aviv. Goodbye two-state solution and pretty much any hope of cooling things in the region. Also, thanks for painting at target on every American for reprisal.

I noticed that too. I heard that it might have helped the russian get a stronger influence on the region and weakened the US hold. I wonder if this might be true.

There was never a serious offer on the table that was palatable.

GRtak;n3541598 said:
There was never a serious offer on the table that was palatable.

And now we have a major destabilization of the region. What we had was crappy, but it wasn't war and both sides were, for the most part, at least talking to each other. The problem with the previous two state solution was that Israel wouldn't give up their occupied lands and the Palestinians wanted their homeland back. This throws us back decades and is a major reversal of US policy in the region.

EDIT: And here we go.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...KBN1E00YW?il=0
Turkey says declaring Jerusalem Israel's capital will start 'fire with no end in sight'

Edit Again:

Trump has a temper tantrum over immigration, threatens a government shut down as early as this weekend:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...848315642d0_story.html?utm_term=.3b2092cf2532

And excludes LGBT and black correspondents from the White House Christmas Party.
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/12/0...2&tse_id=INF_c87df850da7f11e7b926579f881108d6

We have an impulsive, racist, homophobic, incestuous, man-child as President. We aren't even a quarter of the way through his first term and I've seen more blundering in any given week than in a year of Obama. And I wasn't a great fan of a lot of Obama's work, but we went from someone who could form a coherent thought to this:

?Look, having nuclear?my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart ?you know, if you?re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I?m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world?it?s true!?but when you?re a conservative Republican they try?oh, do they do a number?that?s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune?you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we?re a little disadvantaged?but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me?it would have been so easy, and it?s not as important as these lives are (nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what?s going to happen and he was right?who would have thought?), but when you look at what?s going on with the four prisoners?now it used to be three, now it?s four?but when it was three and even now, I would have said it?s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don?t, they haven?t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it?s gonna take them about another 150 years?but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.?

Last edited:
LeVeL;n3541599 said:
Of course there was, back when Israel's creation was first being discussed. Arabs and Jews were asked if they'd be willing to entertain having two states side-by-side - the Jews said "yes, of course" and the Arabs said "no, absolutely not an option". Since then they've set about performing terrorist attacks against Israelis.

Anyways, I'm not sure what the embassy move accomplishes and I'm not defending it. I just think we shouldn't kid ourselves and pretend that the Palestinians actually want a TWO state solution when they clearly just want to wipe Israel off the map entirely. Also, one note on Jerusalem: the fact that it's the third holiest site for Muslims is cute and all but for Jews it's literally THE holy site, no other comes even close.

Dude stop with the identity politics, you are better than that.

The opinion of a Jew. :p

[video=youtube;jsGK1I90x-c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsGK1I90x-c[/video]

LeVeL;n3541632 said:
It's not "identity politics" when it's historically accurate.

Your blanket statement of "Palestinians want X" is identity politics. That's like saying that Americans are conservative because we elected a mostly Republican government in the last cycle.

I wonder why a group of people would not accept a two-state solution? It's almost like an international group of governments decided to arbitrarily re-draw the map with no regard paid to those who currently live there. Great Britain declared they wanted two states in Palestine as early as 1917, when it was controlled by the Ottoman Empire - they didn't even control the land at the time, but invaded and took Jerusalem a month later. The League of Nations formally awarded the British control of Palestine in 1922, who ruled the area until 1948 when Israel declared independence and immediately began to conquer the surrounding area, destroying over 70,000 Palestinian homes and displacing over 700,000 people. These refugees were denied the ability to return to their homes after a 1949 conference held by the UN.

Gee, I wonder why people might resort to an insurgency after all that? The Middle East has been a mess for thousands of years, but most our modern problems involved arbitrarily redrawing the map of the world with no regard for cultural, tribal, or ethnic boundaries. We've seen it happen in the Middle East, Africa, and the Balkans just off the top of my head.

Oh you have a cake. We've all decided to give half your cake to this guy over here that you don't know. What do you mean you don't like the two-cake solution? Hey, stop trying to take his cake, terrorist!

Last edited:
Blind_Io;n3541653 said:
Oh you have a cake. We've all decided to give half your cake to this guy over here that you don't know. What do you mean you don't like the two-cake solution? Hey, stop trying to take his cake, terrorist!

This is an analogy I can really sink my teeth into...

Must be solved by his progeny?

As if we need to speculate about hit fitness based on slurred speech. Even when he isn't slurring he still can't form a single contiguous thought.