The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

In news unrelated to the current discussion, something funny is happening to the FCC's net neutrality comments page:

The Verge said:
This week, thousands posted comments on the FCC?s website in response to a proposed rollback of net neutrality internet protections, weighing in on whether and how to defend the open internet. John Oliver encouraged viewers to post to a public comment thread with support for strong regulation, and a massive number of people did so. But many others appeared to have a different point of view.

?The unprecedented regulatory power the Obama Administration imposed on the internet is smothering innovation, damaging the American economy and obstructing job creation,? read thousands of identical comments posted this week, seemingly by different concerned individuals. The comment goes on to give a vigorous defense of deregulation, calling the rules a ?power grab? and saying the rollback represents ?a positive step forward.? By midday Tuesday, the thread was inundated with versions of the comment. A search of the duplicated text found more than 58,000 results as of press time, with 17,000 of those posted in the last 24 hours alone.

The comments seem to be posted by different, real people, with addresses attached. But people contacted by The Verge said they did not write the comments and have no idea where the posts came from.

?That doesn?t even sound like verbiage I would use,? says Nancy Colombo of Connecticut, whose name and address appeared alongside the comment.

?I have no idea where that came from,? says Lynn Vesely, whose Indiana address also appeared, and who was surprised to hear about the comment.

The people said they have no special link to FCC activism or the telecommunications industry, and could not think of any time they had knowingly entered their information for a similar campaign. ?This is definitely not my style,? Colombo says. ?This sounds like a hacker or an outsider.? Others contacted by ZDNet also denied posting the comments.

The comments page is running slow so checking for oneself may not be possible, but here's an example someone posted:

mZASk9P.jpg

Note the page is set to "Date Descending", but the identical comments are still somehow arranged in alphabetical order by first name. Looks strongly like a bot running down a list.

a57f7a71966dd90e704bcd9428514f9c.jpg

And neither of those men take pictures like they're so stuck up their own asses.

In news unrelated to the current discussion, something funny is happening to the FCC's net neutrality comments page:

The comments page is running slow so checking for oneself may not be possible, but here's an example someone posted:

mZASk9P.jpg

Note the page is set to "Date Descending", but the identical comments are still somehow arranged in alphabetical order by first name. Looks strongly like a bot running down a list.

That's really scary considering they claimed a DDOS attack crashed their website.

To add to everything, Trump fired Comey based on the recommendations of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The very same Jeff Sessions who recused himself from the Russia investigations a month ago.

I guess he didn't fully recuse himself then...

Putin reacts to Comey firing: "We have nothing to do with that"

Putin spoke with CBS News correspondent Elizabeth Palmer shortly before taking to the ice at a hockey game in Sochi. Palmer asked the Russian leader how Comey's firing would impact already frosty relations between the two nations.

"There will be no effect," Putin said, with press aide Dmitry Peskov translating. "Your question looks very funny for me. Don't be angry with me. We have nothing to do with that."

"President Trump is acting in accordance with his competence, in accordance with his law and Constitution," Putin said. "What about us? Why we?"

He then invited Palmer to join him on the rink.

"You see, I am going to play hockey with the hockey fans. And I invite you to do the same," Putin said.

More at the link, including a video.

To add to everything, Trump fired Comey based on the recommendations of Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. The very same Jeff Sessions who recused himself from the Russia investigations a month ago.

I guess he didn't fully recuse himself then...

And now, of course, he'll aid in finding Comey's replacement.

Trumps suggests cancelling press briefings. "We're just so busy, it's impossible for my team to be accurate."

I mean, it's not that they are missing details, it's that they are stating "facts" that didn't happen. It's not that they are simply mis-speaking...some of this is completely fabricated.

Well, since Trump is POTUS he is by definition free to do whatever, it's the same with the whole "conflict of interest" thing - since he's POTUS he by definition doesn't have conflicts of interest or something... :dunno:

One of the problems with Trump's administration is that (if that happens - it's still "likely", but not absolutely certain) they would classify articles like those as "unfair" coverage. Sure, there is (a lot) more negative than positive coverage on Trump's administration, but then again their decisions are questionable, and that's what free press in a democracy is supposed to do - control the administration and hold them accountable since normal people can't possibly oversee every decision and investigate everything.

Well, the man has a phd in public administration and has worked as a professor at a college - on paper that should qualify him despite his phd not being in "science" ... Trump only has a undergraduate degree, if we wanna talk about being qualified for something, let's start there because a fish rots from the head down.

On a sidenote: our current German chancellor's phd thesis had the title "Investigation of the mechanism of decay reactions with single bond breaking and calculation of their velocity constants on the basis of quantum chemical and statistical methods". Just sayin' ...

Last edited:
Anyone with a "real science" (maths, physics, chemistry, biology, engineering etc) degree can complete a social science/management PhD while they're at the shitter in the morning.

Anyone with a "real science" (maths, physics, chemistry, biology, engineering etc) degree can complete a social science/management PhD while they're at the shitter in the morning.

Slow down there. Don't lump all social sciences with the management degrees. Social science and humanities doctorates are no easy hurdle. If anything, I can argue the opposite - that a degree in math is all down to memorization and having good equipment (but that would be gross misrepresentation of the degree, proving the point that you can't/shouldn't discredit degrees that you have little or no experience with).