The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

Bring on the deficit, you mean. Also, this tax bill will cost you more immediately thanks to increased helth insurance premiums and fewer deductions and exemptions. They are putting $5 in your shirt pocket while taking $10 out of your wallet, and somehow you think you are $5 ahead.
What flavor is GOP brand Kool-Aid?

Last edited:
The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

I hate hearing about tax cuts. What I want to hear is ?we?ve evaluated the largest consumers of tax dollars and we?ve made some changes and reduced our expenses. You can read about here? and actually show the amount of savings the American people will have. Instead, it looks like they?re just reducing overall income by a small amount (granted, 3% or whatever of the total is still substantial) as a whole. Or, make the same evaluations and take the excess no longer being consumed to pay off the debts.

Last edited:
Bring on the deficit, you mean. Also, this tax bill will cost you more immediately thanks to increased helth insurance premiums and fewer deductions and exemptions. They are putting $5 in your shirt pocket while taking $10 out of your wallet, and somehow you think you are $5 ahead.
What flavor is GOP brand Kool-Aid?
Do you know how much Level pays for his health insurance? Do you know how this tax plan will impact his personal tax rates? Or are you making assumptions?

I hate hearing about tax cuts. What I want to hear is ?we?ve evaluated the largest consumers of tax dollars and we?ve made some changes and reduced our expenses. You can read about here? and actually show the amount of savings the American people will have.
The problem is that most of our money goes towards entitlement programs, like social security and welfare, and any time anyone even talks about reforming those they get accused of hating the elderly and the poor. So yeah, the best you can hope for is tax cuts, because the spoiled overprivileged trust fund babies we've had running our country since before I was born aren't ever going to do anything meaningful or smart for our country.

But anyway, here is Ben Shapiro's take on this whole thing.

Most of the tax money goes towards the military. End of story.

I am making assumptions based on how the tax plan will affect an average tax payer. Those who live in states with higher state taxes will be disproportionately affected; MA isn't particularly high on state tax, so I didn't bring that up. Here is a break down of how the tax plan will affect an average American household.

TL;DR:

Increase the standard deduction, but eliminate the personal exemption: -$1,450 in savings

Fewer tax brackets: -$175 in savings (but we think you can save more by doing your simplified taxes yourself instead of paying someone)

Reducing the property tax deduction: No effect for the typical household.

Limiting mortgage interest deduction: No effect for the typical household.

Child credit: +$600, at least until it sunsets in a few years.

Based on these numbers of a statistically average home, an average family will be $1,025 worse off than they were before the tax plan; this will only get worse when the individual relief sunsets and the corporate breaks continue. It also doesn't include the other provisions, such as eliminating the individual mandate which will balloon health premiums. There is strong consensus of economists that this is a bad plan and balloon the debt, which will result in a financial crisis down the road. The GOP promise that it will increase growth to pay for itself will not play out, it has never played out that way all the other times we have tried it, going back to the 19th century. What this plan does look like is corporate asset stripping, which will absolutely ruin the economy.

Last edited:

2016spending.jpg

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-dollars-on-social-insurance-programs-mostly/

Last edited:
Expect another one with the individual mandate being gone.

I was paying more for my $5,000 deductible plan than I was paying for my mortgage before the ACA, no insurance company would insure me and my work didn't offer healthcare. I know how much it hurts, which is why I was glad when it passed. Kiki and I decided to get married when I found out my insurance was going up another $100 per month to nearly $600 for coverage so shitty that I still paid cash out of pocket for regular procedures, avoided medical care even when I was sick, and never went in for preventative care because I couldn't afford it.

What we need is single payer healthcare.

- - - Updated - - -

The funny thing is that most the people bitching about humanitarian aid say we should spend that money at home on our own people, then bitch about human services spending.

Last edited:

Exactly. There needs to be a re-evaluation on whether the current is too much and where things can be cinched up.

That misses a few things that are really military spending but are hidden in other departments. The nuclear program cost is hidden within the Department of Energy. There are also a lot of veterans that are disabled that are receiving either medicaid, medicare, social security, or some combination. That is all on top of the 20% (15% military + 5% veterans benefits) that goes towards the military.

Look into the costs of retiring a nuclear reactor and who pays for that. Hint, it is not the power company. Not to mention the costs with the nuclear waste. That was all part of the rush to get into production on missiles in the 40s and 50s.

Expect another one with the individual mandate being gone.

I was paying more for my $5,000 deductible plan than I was paying for my mortgage before the ACA, no insurance company would insure me and my work didn't offer healthcare. I know how much it hurts, which is why I was glad when it passed. Kiki and I decided to get married when I found out my insurance was going up another $100 per month to nearly $600 for coverage so shitty that I still paid cash out of pocket for regular procedures, avoided medical care even when I was sick, and never went in for preventative care because I couldn't afford it.

What we need is single payer healthcare.

Having been there myself, I know exactly what you are talking about. The only way I could afford insurance is due to the ACA. That is about to go down the toilet.

The funny thing is that most the people bitching about humanitarian aid say we should spend that money at home on our own people, then bitch about human services spending.

I think the right wingers(at least the ones I have talked to) lack any empathy. This is apparent in many issues they talk about.

That misses a few things that are really military spending but are hidden in other departments.
Those things aren't "hidden" in other departments, they're placed in their proper category. Trying to lump nuclear power plants as military spending? Lets be real. When people talk about cutting military spending, I don't think they're talking about shutting down power plants in the US. Or cutting healthcare for injured vets, for that matter. They're talking about the actual military, doing actual military things.

I think the right wingers(at least the ones I have talked to) lack any empathy. This is apparent in many issues they talk about.
How bigoted of you. Are you sure you're not a right winger? :p

So is that why right wingers donates more money to charity than the left? Because they have no empathy?

If helping the poor was like sex, charity would be consensual, tax based programs would be rape. Being against rape doesn't mean you're against consensual sex. Being against tax based programs doesn't mean you're against helping those in need. It would be nice if some of you "left wingers" could at least try to understand that point, rather than just assuming it's all one big lie from greedy evil people with no empathy that want others to suffer.

The only reason the nuclear energy program exists is because of nuclear weapons. If it weren't for nuclear weapons, no power company would take on the task of a nuclear power station and the expenses that come after it can no longer produce power. There is no way they can, or could charge enough for the power to make it worthwhile.

No, nuclear is super scary.

Empathy has jack shit to do with policy making, in fact it can be a huge disservice. Policy is pure classical utilitarianism, greatest good for greatest number of people, by necessity policy will always hurt SOME people, there is no pleasing everyone.

TC sort of covered it already, the biggest difference between the left and the right is the former believe in governmental responsibility, as in it's government's job to take care of citizens. The latter believe in personal responsibility, that is to say that humans take care of themselves and that makes the whole society work.

The right inherently distrusts the government and wants it to have as little power as possible, which is why mandated anything is a very big pain point with the right. It's nothing to do with empathy and everything to do with being forced at barrel's end.

- - - Updated - - -

So it has nothing to do with clean energy, huh?

No nuclear is evil and it kills baby otters, don't be telling me how nuclear is cleaner than just about any other type of non-renewable, if it's not wind powered it's not good!