The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

GRtak;n3554314 said:

Well, you're in at over 65000 US$ (and rising) National debt per Inhabitant.
In Germany and in the Netherlands we're at 26000€ (and sinking).
The Eurozone is at 29000€ per head (and rising).
Italy has 35000€ (and rising).
Japan is at almost 90000 Us$ per head (and rising).

In a dark 1960ies movie, Japan would get his hands cut off and bleed to death and the Us would get it's Thumbs broken - as a warning for the rest of the world ...

curiously enough, apart from Italy, every one of these countries has a credit rating of "A" or better (Germany and the Netherlands score best) for the 3 most important credit rating agencies.

Last edited:
Interrobang;n3554320 said:
Well, you're in at over 65000 US$ (and rising) National debt per Inhabitant.
In Germany and in the Netherlands we're at 26000€ (and sinking).
The Eurozone is at 29000€ per head (and rising).
Italy has 35000€ (and rising).
Japan is at almost 90000 Us$ per head (and rising).

In a dark 1960ies movie, Japan would get his hands cut off and bleed to death and the Us would get it's Thumbs broken - as a warning for the rest of the world ...

curiously enough, apart from Italy, every one of these countries has a credit rating of "A" or better (Germany and the Netherlands score best) for the 3 most important credit rating agencies.

Out of curiosity, I researched those numbers for Brazil:

Around 4200€ per inhabitant.

That means the debt is around 75% of the GDP.
Interesting.

The GOP will do what they always do: run up the debt with overspending on the military and tax cuts for the wealthy. The Democrats will get back the Congress and the GOP will cry about the debt and "big government" to obstruct social programs and push for regressive taxation (because the wealthy already pay too much, right?)

In a year, let's revisit this and see if my prediction is right.

This is going to sound uncharacteristic coming from me, but the biggest source of waste we have is not any of the programs the feds spend money on, it's the very layout of the country. Because every state does it's own thing in many different aspects we end up with massive duplication and waste. Handing some of that stuff over to the feds with local oversight to make sure funds are used appropriately would actually be immensely helpful.

As far as taxing the rich, while I get the emotion behind it, reality is quite different. Rich people are a lot more capable of avoiding taxes, it's a simple question of resources. A millionaire can afford to simply move their money and/or themselves elsewhere, something CA knows a lot about by now. The 'rich' you want paying won't be, the ones who will be paying are going to be essentially upper middle class folks in the more expensive cities. Fun fact in SF 117k/year/household is considered low income.

prizrak;n3554355 said:
This is going to sound uncharacteristic coming from me, but the biggest source of waste we have is not any of the programs the feds spend money on, it's the very layout of the country. Because every state does it's own thing in many different aspects we end up with massive duplication and waste. Handing some of that stuff over to the feds with local oversight to make sure funds are used appropriately would actually be immensely helpful.

As far as taxing the rich, while I get the emotion behind it, reality is quite different. Rich people are a lot more capable of avoiding taxes, it's a simple question of resources. A millionaire can afford to simply move their money and/or themselves elsewhere, something CA knows a lot about by now. The 'rich' you want paying won't be, the ones who will be paying are going to be essentially upper middle class folks in the more expensive cities. Fun fact in SF 117k/year/household is considered low income.

So we should stop taxing the wealthy?

I want an equitable amount paid, I don't want to bleed them dry. And if the richest people flee the country, then let them whine and cry about how hard it is being rich elsewhere.

prizrak;n3554355 said:

I want an equitable amount paid, I don't want to bleed them dry. And if the richest people flee the country, then let them whine and cry about how hard it is being rich elsewhere.

prizrak;n3554355 said:

GRtak;n3554358 said:

Damn man, once was enough :p I didn't say we should stop taxing the wealthy, simply that the idea of taxing the wealthy is only good on paper. As far as hard being rich elsewhere, Monaco has no taxes :p

https://www.americansabroad.org/us-t...ummies-update/

You'd have to give back your american citizenship to avoid Us-taxes. Moving "somewhere else" maybe easy generally, but the US-IRS has a strong grib on it's tax money. And if you are even willing to ditch your Citizenship and are looking for a country with less income-tax than the Us ... good luck. Yeah, Bangladesh, Peru or Ethiopia have got you covered - but only one "first world country" has a lower personal income tax than the US ... New Zealand. And they make up for it by other taxation. And getting their citizenship also isn't that easy (5 years living there, showing that you want to live there in the future, no convictions etc) - even if you're rich. And New Zealand's bloody cold most of the year ...

Last edited:
You keep bringing up those few hundred dollars, what you do t seem to get is that you are just deferring payment on debt to get that "free" money. It is not a coincidence that the debt started to balloon like mad right after the taxes were lowered and trade slowed due to tariffs.

:wall::wall::wall::wall:

Obama inherited 2 wars, and the cluster fuck lack of planning from those left open the door to the mess in Syria. He did not just randomly go off nation building.

Interrobang;n3554371 said:
https://www.americansabroad.org/us-t...ummies-update/

You'd have to give back your american citizenship to avoid Us-taxes. Moving "somewhere else" maybe easy generally, but the US-IRS has a strong grib on it's tax money. And if you are even willing to ditch your Citizenship and are looking for a country with less income-tax than the Us ... good luck. Yeah, Bangladesh, Peru or Ethiopia have got you covered - but only one "first world country" has a lower personal income tax than the US ... ..
You are making multiple mistakes here.
1 - you don't have to move yourself, you can move your money and use it
2 - rich people don't generally have "income" in the way you and I do, they have assets and investments where taxation is nowhere near as straight forward
3 - even within US you can move state to state to lower your income/property tax
4 - Monaco is a first world country with no income tax ;)

You are thinking about all of this in too simplistic terms of a person who is not a millionaire, there are a lot of ways to enjoy a lavish lifestyle and pay little to no taxes, say having assets registered to an LLC. For example I just saw the story on Vin Wiki about Georgia cracking down on supercar owners registering their cars to Montana based LLC's to avoid paying sales tax (Montana has none and on a 300k car it can get very expensive). Then there is the fact that many of the richest people simply don't have any kind of huge income, they invest their money and have ways of showing very little taxable income (and income from investments is taxed differently).
New Zealand. And they make up for it by other taxation. And getting their citizenship also isn't that easy (5 years living there, showing that you want to live there in the future, no convictions etc) - even if you're rich. And New Zealand's bloody cold most of the year .
It takes pretty much the same to get a US citizenship and my family managed to do that without being millionaires so not exactly complicated. If the laws are similar to the US, you don't have to stay in the country 5 years straight, if you get a legal resident status you are allowed to leave and comeback more or less as you please.

Don't be hoodwinked

Obama also took aim at President Trump’s proposed middle-class tax cut push before the midterm elections, saying that “Congress isn’t even in session.”

Steve Schmidt: Donald Trump Did Not Mail The Bombs But He Created The Atmosphere

Sanders has never said anything violent about, or toward anyone that I am aware of.