The Trump Presidency - how I stopped worrying and learned to love the Hair

GRtak;n3554695 said:
I can't get the picture of Ned Beatty stuttering out "INVASION" from the movie 1941.

Why can't they come and go through the asylum process? Are they really such a Clear and Present Danger?
Why do you assume military presence means they are not allowed to go through the asylum process?

So, voting is over and most of the results are in. While the Repubicans lost the House and 7 Gouvernors, the Democrats also couldn't win the Senate. So it's a mixed result with no party being all around winners or all around losers. Or how the President calls it:
Tremendous success tonight. [...]

:rolleyes:

Well, Numbers are super interresting here generally and I think the Senate Races are the most interresting. Democrats outvoted Republicans by 12 Million Votes in all the Senate Races combined (44.8 Million compared to 32.8) but that still did not Result in them winning the Senate. The Republicans are spending their resources much smarter on races they can win and turn out voters where it matters.
In the House election, the Voter Gap was much smaller (50.4 Million vs 46.5 Million Voters) between the 2 Parties and that still favoured Democrats. And the Governatioral elections - the Gap there is under 1 Million Votes in total - closest of all and the democrats still managed to win more of these races.

Another good news are rising voter numbers. That's always a good thing no matter where you stand on issues. The United States still has terrible voter turnout and still has ways to go to catch up with other countries
[...]Looking at the most recent nationwide election in each OECD nation, the U.S. placed 26th out of 32.
But these Midterms certainly look like a step into the right direction.

All Numbers by
https://www.nytimes.com

That is actually the best outcome IMO, no party has the clear majority in Congress this way and are forced to work together.

I don't understand how two people that don't trust the government, now want that same government to send in troops to stop a caravan of unarmed people at the border.

1) I never said I want the troops to be deployed, just that troops being deployed is within purview of the administration in this particular case
2) I am an anarchist and I want no government whatsoever but unfortunately human nature makes true anarchy as much of a utopia as communism
3) Libertarian platform, which is what I support out of necessity, doesn't mean that government should sit there and do nothing about anything. It means that government has a certain limited role in society, border protection is very much within what government should be doing.
4) You sure they are unarmed?

If you wanna talk about contradictions, how do you reconcile wanting tougher gun laws with expanded back ground checks and registration while simultaneously arguing for letting in just about anyone who wants to get in?

I never said anyone that wanted in should get in, just the opportunity to go through the process. I also don't see what this has to do with gun control at all.

prizrak;n3554697 said:
I’m fairly certain no one is going to shoot anyone on sight as soon as they show up near the border. This is a deterrent, you show up at the border and see a bunch of army dudes you gonna think twice about trying to rush it. Keeping in mind that there was already violence at a border from the caravan.

As far as it being premature, maybe it is, I don’t know much about military logistics and how quickly it can mobilize.

I'm going to need a citation for that. How can there be violence at our border from a caravan that is months away?

Interrobang;n3554699 said:
Well, Numbers are super interresting here generally and I think the Senate Races are the most interresting. Democrats outvoted Republicans by 12 Million Votes in all the Senate Races combined (44.8 Million compared to 32.8) but that still did not Result in them winning the Senate.

I don't know what you're trying to say. So, with well under 60% (44.8/(44.8+32.8)) of the total Senate vote*, Democrats will win about two thirds (23 or 24 or so, out of 35) of the Senate seats up for election.

Is that the super interesting part? That the Democrats got extra bang (power) for their buck (vote count)? Is it a good or bad thing?

* Note that "total Senate vote" is not a thing.

Last edited:
Blind_Io;n3554709 said:
I'm going to need a citation for that. How can there be violence at our border from a caravan that is months away?

Didn't say it was at US border, I'm having a hard time finding the articles talking about violence in the first caravan as most are talking about the second.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...er-pressure-to-turn-back-mounts-idUSKCN1MT1WM
Some migrants violently shook fences at the border and police said a few officers were injured in clashes.

There is now a second caravan that has had a somewhat similar encounter with MX police
http://www.latimes.com/world/mexico-americas/la-fg-mexico-migrant-caravan-20181029-story.html
LA Times said:
On Sunday, members of the new caravan tore down a chain-link fence that Guatemalan officials had erected to prohibit entry onto the bridge. They pushed past dozens of Guatemalan forces who sought to deter them with shields and rounds of tear gas.
Some migrants threw rocks and glass bottles at police and officers responded by firing rubber bullets, according to migrants and journalists who were at the scene. A Mexican police helicopter circled overhead, they said, dropping tear gas onto the crowd.
Navarrete said that migrants had thrown Molotov cocktails at police and that Diaz had been photographed trying to knock down the entrance gate to Mexico with a battering ram.

Authorities said 10 police officers were injured, two of them seriously. Local news reports said at least 100 immigrants were injured as well.

So Trump has asked for, and received Jeff Session's resignation.

[video=youtube;X4-jpO4z11U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4-jpO4z11U[/video]

Now the Trump Administration is going to change a rule to limit asylum seekers.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/08/6658...n-seeks-to-limit-asylum-seekers-with-new-rule

Advocates say federal law allows anyone on U.S. soil to petition for asylum, even if that person crossed the border illegally.

The administration wants to get around that provision by using the president's broad authority to exclude any immigrant — or class of immigrants — deemed "detrimental to the interests of the United States." That's the same authority the president used when he issued his travel ban on a variety of mostly Muslim countries. That ban was initially blocked by the courts but after several revisions was ultimately upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court.

White House Tweets fake news to support suspending a reporter's White House press pass.

LeVeL;n3554750 said:
I'd say record voter turnout is a success. Also, historically the President's party has always lost a lot in the midterms - I've read that the GOP lost the fewest House seats in around 70yrs, a pretty big success. All things considered, this went well for the GOP; certainly no "blue wave" ever materialized.

Eh? No.

2018 midterms, POTUS party lost 35ish?
2014 midterms, POTUS party lost 13.
2010 midterms, POTUS party lost 62.
2006 midterms, POTUS party lost 27.
2002 midterms, POTUS party gained 7.

Out of the last five midterms this was the 2nd worst result for the President's party in terms of house seats lost. Out of the last three midterms with a GOP President it was the worst result. Didn't bother looking further back.
No idea where you read your numbers :dunno: mine are from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/114th_United_States_Congress#Party_summary and previous generations of Congress' pages.

The Imperious Leader said it, so it must be so.

GRtak;n3554771 said:
White House Tweets fake news to support suspending a reporter's White House press pass.

1984 said:
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

GRtak;n3554767 said:
Now the Trump Administration is going to change a rule to limit asylum seekers.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/08/66587...-with-new-rule

Breach of the Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees - Article 31. Signed by the United States of America in 1968. Trump 2020 - Promises Kept Treaties Broken