No announcement yet.

Violence vs. Free Speech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the problem is that he has moved the border bit of borderline so much that the checks and balances are no longer sure if there is anything to move forward on. Apart from a tweet going "This isn't how it works."

The fact that the president seems to think that Twitter is his prime method of direct communication is perhaps equally concerning.

<Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
    "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
    John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by JimCorrigan View Post
      You don't think this goes beyond just being a child? No leader of a nation should threaten the press.
      He tweets a lot of stupid crap but doesn't really act on it. It's stupid par the course but if I'm not mistaken executive orders wouldn't have any effect on the FCC (which hands out broadcasting licenses) so short of Congressional action there's no threat to NBC from Trump here.
      "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
      2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by LeVeL View Post
        He tweets a lot of stupid crap but doesn't really act on it. It's stupid par the course but if I'm not mistaken executive orders wouldn't have any effect on the FCC (which hands out broadcasting licenses) so short of Congressional action there's no threat to NBC from Trump here.
        Except, in a climate where many erroneously accuse Trump of being fascist, racist, sexist, etc., the optics matter and it pays to be a proper statesman. He's giving the histrionic masses genuine ammo for their concerns.

He's the fucking president, for crissakes. This behaviour could be excusable/dismissed were he still a private citizen, but not now.
        Originally posted by tigger
        The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

Comment

Except, in a climate where many erroneously accuse Trump of being fascist, racist, sexist, etc., the optics matter and it pays to be a proper statesman. He's giving the histrionic masses genuine ammo for their concerns.

He's the fucking president, for crissakes. This behaviour could be excusable/dismissed were he still a private citizen, but not now.
          With you on all of this, it's embarassing having a leader who flies off the handle for every little thing and it detracts from any respect he would otherwise have as a POTUS.

@Lev another thing you should be concerned about is that he is the face of conservatives in the US, it's very difficult to have conversations with people about conservatism and it's ideas when the very word evokes an image of a senile grandpa who flies into rage because there are some kids on his lawn.
          ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

I agree that the optics of this are ready bad, which isn't exactly unusual for the Donald. But I also don't see this as a genuine threat to the 1A as a whole or to NBC specifically.

Originally posted by prizrak View Post
            @Lev another thing you should be concerned about is that he is the face of conservatives in the US, it's very difficult to have conversations with people about conservatism and it's ideas when the very word evokes an image of a senile grandpa who flies into rage because there are some kids on his lawn.
            Sadly, I'd rather be associated with Trump than with mainstream GOP who are just embarrassing themselves at this point, but I see your point.
            "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
            2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Violence vs. Free Speech

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/2...gtype=Homepage

Originally posted by New York Times
              Last edited by JimCorrigan; October 23rd, 2017, 8:47 PM.
              Originally posted by tigger
              The Lord spoke, "Let there be angry V8s, whistling turbos and big ass cams." And it was good.

Comment

Good takedown of common attempts to sugarcoat Antifa:

mirror: https://vid.me/JXAXH

Berkeley admitted that the security around Shapiro's speech cost $600K, in case you were interested in a rough (and likely tip-of-the-iceberg) figure with which to try to estimate the overall cost of Antifa terrorism.

On a positive note, Shapiro's speech also proved that enforcing a no-mask rule does take away one of Antifa's major weapons: violence. Most of us predicted this would be effective based on their tendency to attack everyone filming in their presence (you know, those pesky "camera Nazis"), but of course it's nice to have proof.

Here we have some infighting based solely on skin color:

Because terrorizing the populace is not quite as easy when police do their jobs, these two attempt to order some dope to do their dirty work for them just because he was born lower in the caste syst- . . . uh . . . I mean progessive stack.

Be heartened that, despite the efforts of the alt-left, racists are indeed afraid again.

EDIT: "Takedown" vid was taken down; dunno why.
                Last edited by kunedog; November 10th, 2017, 4:41 AM.

Comment

Ouch, the burning irony overwhelming the masked activist... he thinks he is fighting fascists, and the girl next to him suddenly turns against him and makes him plunge down into the white racists, and he can't do nothing about it, because he is a white guy... Boy, enjoy the privilege of being trash-talked and despised for the colour of your skin...

I think she managed to have him out of the movement for good.

If that's the case, I'm happy for him.
                  Going fast out of rage, pride or boredom is like buying a ticket to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by kunedog View Post
                    Good takedown of common attempts to sugarcoat Antifa:

snipped vid

Berkeley admitted that the security around Shapiro's speech cost $600K, in case you were interested in a rough (and likely tip-of-the-iceberg) figure with which to try to estimate the overall cost of Antifa terrorism.

On a positive note, Shapiro's speech also proved that enforcing a no-mask rule does take away one of Antifa's major weapons: violence. Most of us predicted this would be effective based on their tendency to attack everyone filming in their presence (you know, those pesky "camera Nazis"), but of course it's nice to have proof.

Here we have some infighting based solely on skin color:

snipped vid

Because terrorizing the populace is not quite as easy when police do their jobs, these two attempt to order some dope to do their dirty work for them just because he was born lower in the caste syst- . . . uh . . . I mean progessive stack.

Be heartened that, despite the efforts of the alt-left, racists are indeed afraid again.
                    I am a huge proponent of Shaprio's method for speeches. He directly called out the schools for their inability to protect speakers and ensure their ability to speak, while having healthy respect for the protesters and defending their right to protest him. His speech in Berkley was a perfect precedent to set where he openly, repeatedly called for his supports to reject the violence that had been perpetrated during previous events, and placed the responsibility for assurance of mutual rights where it belongs - on the people hosting the event. I was not particularly happy when my alma mater (DePaul University) banned him from campus due to student backlash, while pretending to be a bastion of free speech.
                    Last edited by JakeRadden; November 9th, 2017, 2:59 PM.
                    2014 Mustang GT - Oxford White
                    Track Pack | 301A | Borla S-Type | Lethal O/R/H | MGW Race-Spec | Eibach Prokit | AED Tuned
                    2015 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 AWD - Wife's DD
                    2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited - DD

Comment

Originally posted by kunedog View Post
                      Well worth listening to at least the intro (11 minutes):

The shitstorm Harris caught over this podcast has flared up again, with some hit pieces by Vox implying there's no legimate science behind it, and downplaying the fact that thugs are showing up to colleges to beat scientists.

Harris and Vox's editor Ezra Klein had it out:

Harris wants Klein to stop smearing him and Murray by associating them with white supremacy, and to acknowledge that the scientific method cannot be limited by (and does not care about) political correctness. Klein repeatedly sidesteps this point and attempts to apply a progressive filter to absolutely everything, including scientific data. He wants Sam to pollute a discussion about genetic science with one about slavery and segregation.

Biased (but IMO spot on) analysis:

Last edited by kunedog; April 30th, 2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X