Germany: The long road to a new government (2017 federal elections)

DanRoM

Forum Addict
Car(s)
MX-5 ND, Tracer 900 GT & two bikes
News from the German front: Nearly two months after the federal elections, the coalition talks (well, they weren't even formally called that yet) have been stopped. Out of the four parties involved (Merkel's moderate right-wing CDU, their right-wing populist Bavarian sister party CSU, the liberal FDP, and the Greens), the FDP just pulled out (Guardian article).
The failure of this (always thought to be fragile) four-party coalition even before they got into formal coalition talks means that no one has a majority in parliament, and with the strongest party having about 30% of the seats, a minority government is also not a realistic option. Unless

a) the FDP has just pulled a ruse to get back into the talks with considerably more leverage or
b) the former junior partner of the CDU, the centrist SPD, decides to go back into a coalition and thereby commits final political suicide,

Germany will need new elections sometime this winter.

I won't rule out possibilty a) just yet, as it's been only half an hour since the announcement and everyone needs to sleep over it. Realistically, going back into the talks would creaty a massive credibility problem for the FDP, but as no one thinks of them as having such a trait in the first place anyway, it might still be possible.
I also won't rule out the SPD toppling over to be the CDU's sidekick again, as that has been their specialty for years (which the voters thanked them for by dropping them from formerly well over 35% to now 20%).

Interestingly, in my opinion the CDU would gain massive chances with the other parties to form a coalition if they only got rid of the CSU (the two parties form a common parliamentary faction). But even the biggest two parties, CDU (without CSU) and SPD, together fall two seats short of a majority.

Let's see what tomorrow brings...

I do like this from the article you linked.

?It is better not to govern than to govern badly.?

What's troubling is Germany is in hard spot with the migration issue. Given their past, I can understand Merkel's view of keeping open boarders. Though, it seems to be a "make sure we look good" stand rather than a long term solution that ensures growth and productivity. What's difficult is I sort of see the immigration issue being a current time visual of what could happen to South Korea if the North's government collapsed. The energy issue is a different matter. What I fail to see whether it's US or UK or Germany specifically is, there's not much talked about of a balance between reducing fossil fuel energy production and renewable energy whereby you have reliable renewable energy slowing taking the same load and a little more while fossil fuel is wound down. All I've been reading is "HURR DURR SHUT DOWN COAL" with no real solution besides "we believe renewable energy will take over." I want to see a "we have enough renewable energy that will support our current infrastructure and then some when the time comes." It's like the argument of banning petroleum vehicles outright with the fairy tale dream that battery technology is currently good enough to take over our normal day to day needs. It just isn't. People need to hold on a bit longer and continue improving what the energy producing equipment. We will get there. I think a lot of us are just impatient since there's been some leaps and bounds with some stuff and now we're sort of just sitting here at a plateau or a drawn out incline.

I could be completely off. I am a few beers in tonight. :)

Last edited:
Apparently I overestimated the importance of this topic... :(

I do like this from the article you linked.
It's catchy, yeah. And not a bad motto. But from all I read today this move to withdraw from the negotiations seems to have been planned, not spontaneous. Which is not good for the FDP's image... :D

What's troubling is Germany is in hard spot with the migration issue.
The by far most troubling thing is that this topic has been blown far out of proportion and overshadows everything else. We have enough other problems.

Apparently I overestimated the importance of this topic... :(
Somebody call me when the Merkel snoozefest is over. Until then, I'm not interested (beyond voting) in German federal politics. So much could have been achieved and would have been achieved if we'd actually had a pro-active government for the last 12 years.