Spoilers: Random Thoughts (Sports)

The media are making it out to be a proper cluster fuck. Reported so far is that the athlete?s village accommodations blocks are not cleaned and fitted out completely.
Oh, yeah and an access bridge to the stadium collapsed and injured over twenty people.

Prolly be OK. :unsure:

*shrugs*

.. and in stick-ball news:
England vs. Pakistan tour
England Cricket Captain Andrew Strauss outraged by match fixing claim

BBC Sport Website said:
England captain Andrew Strauss has dismissed claims his team deliberately lost last Friday's third one-day match against Pakistan in return for money.

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt told Indian TV he had heard some bookmakers saying some England players were paid to lose the game at The Oval.

Wanker!

A scurrilous and scandalous, opportunistic libel by this idiot to smear the shit around, with three of his team suspended and sent home in disgrace.

This is an ill starred tour by the Pakistan Cricket Team, last game tomorrow. One tour to remember, for all the wrong reasons.

PCB chairman needs a plug for his Butt and his mouth.
:mad:

.. and in stick-ball news:

Wanker!
A scurrilous and scandalous, opportunistic libel by this idiot to smear the shit around, with three of his team suspended and sent home in disgrace.
This is an ill starred tour by the Pakistan Cricket Team, last game tomorrow. One tour to remember, for all the wrong reasons.
PCB chairman needs a plug for his Butt and his mouth.
:mad:

i saw Ijaz Butt appearing on BBC News on the morning that it all kicked off and was amazed at the comments he was making. He was saying that "there was chatter in the gambling circuit..." i mean come on! who in the right mind would believe scuttlebutt in the gambling world. he was practically saying "i heard from some mates who told me..." while providing no significant evidence to prove it. all it was, was a desperate attempt to shift the focus away from the attention away from him and others.
He even said that the claims made by News of the world were complete bullshit (he said this live on air at 9am) and they had been fabricated.

As for the Commonwealth Games, its looking decidely dodgy now. Those 3 British Athletes, i don't buy for a second that it was because of injuries. The timing was too much of a coincidence. Think it will take a miracle to get the games properly ready now.

The accommodations blocks have a capacity of about 6000.
The pictures shown of the sh1t in the sink and flooded floors may have been just a few or lots, but progress has been made and the advance teams of England, Scotland, Wales and NI have given a provisional go ahead.

I think the organisers may be acting a bit clever here, they could be placing all the teams with a large and vociferous media, like UK, Canada, Australia & NZ in all the properly finished rooms and then dumping all the other teams in the crap rooms.

Would we get to hear if the Mauritius team or some other small country, has bad accommodation? I don?t think so.

On anther note, if there were a major terrorist incident, the Games could be ruined.
:|

The pictures shown of the sh1t in the sink and flooded floors may have been just a few or lots, but progress has been made and the advance teams of England, Scotland, Wales and NI have given a provisional go ahead.

pretty much what i thought. i saw the pictures on the BBC News report and while disgusting and all that. there is no way of showing that all rooms are like that and for all we know it might have been just the one room or one area. unfortunately the main bulk of the damage has already been done with some of the big names having pulled out. thats a difficult sell regardless of the fact that the Commonwealth Games aren't as large a draw as the Olympic games.

I think the organisers may be acting a bit clever here, they could be placing all the teams with a large and vociferous media, like UK, Canada, Australia & NZ in all the properly finished rooms and then dumping all the other teams in the crap rooms.

Would we get to hear if the Mauritius team or some other small country, has bad accommodation? I don?t think so.

On anther note, if there were a major terrorist incident, the Games could be ruined.

or perhaps the organisers could of admitted or at least shown some level of concern rather than coming up with bullshit or not giving a shit

or perhaps the organisers could of admitted or at least shown some level of concern rather than coming up with bullshit or not giving a shit

Correct, that seems to have been the problem.

This was allowed by the lack of oversight by the worldwide Commonwealth Games Organization itself. They did not check progress on site; the Olympic Games Committee does during builds, because they have the money to do so.
:)

Read in the news right now that Alberto Contador has been caught for doing doping during Tour de France, using 'clenbuterol'. He was stinking of the stuff all along if you ask me!

On another note, it's hilarious how the British press thinks Cavendish have any chances of winning the WC in Australia on sunday. He doesn't stand a chance in hell.

Last edited:
I think Cavendish stands a chance, "sprinters" win the world championships pretty often.... Boonen, Bettini, Freire. Lance (when he was pretty much just a sprinter), and Cippollini. I predict the race will be won by either Mark Cavendish or Phillipe Gilbert.

Cavendish is a pure sprinter and the 'circuit/lap/whatever' is quite hilly and not to forget, very long.

I don't think it is going to be that hilly, Geelong is a very flat place. I read an article on Contador which said that only 50 picograms were detected, which is apparently 400 times less than the doping council would expect to find in someone who is doping. Could get very interesting this.

World Cycling Champion, baby! :cool:

Thor Hushovd smashed everyone in the sprint.

Would like to point out that Mark Cavendish didn't even finish. :p

Last edited:
I forgot to watch it.... Whens the time trial world championships?

Two days ago. Cancellara took the title with an awesome ride (as always).

And Hushovds performance was awesome as well. It wasn't hard to guess that he was going to take it, when peloton catched the breakaway group (with Brajkovic and co.).

Personally I hoped that Kolobnev could win, especially when he was in that last breakaway.

Cancellara won with over a minute to the 2nd place rider. Truely outstanding cyclist.

Wozniacki comes clean over baby kangaroo tale
By Paul Newmman
Monday, 24 January 2011

Caroline Wozniacki's press conferences are rapidly becoming as entertaining as her matches. Forty-eight hours after she answered questions ranging from global warming to Kenny Dalglish's return at Liverpool, the world No 1 told reporters here at the Australian Open that she had suffered a cut on her leg when she was attacked by a baby kangaroo in a wildlife park.

It was an entertaining story that was soon being relayed around the world, but within an hour Wozniacki admitted on Twitter that she had made it up. Later in the day she returned to the press conference room to apologise for any embarrassment she had caused.

The 20-year-old Dane, who had suggested last week that if her press conferences were boring it was because journalists asked the same boring questions, told her tale after beating Latvia's Anastasija Sevastova 6-3, 6-4 to earn a place in the quarter-finals for the first time. Pointing to some tape covering a wound on her leg, she said she had been scratched after she tried to help the kangaroo, which had been lying on the grass, apparently in distress.
Related articles

"I thought maybe it needed some help," Wozniacki said. "I found out that I shouldn't do that." She added: "It looked so cute, but once it started scratching me I was a coward and I ran away." Wozniacki said she went to hospital to have the wound examined but decided not to have it stitched.

Within an hour she said on Twitter: "Round 2 with the media: hope you enjoyed my kangaroo story, hope you know I was just kidding. See you on Tuesday for round 3!"

By that time, however, several journalists had already sent their stories, prompting Wozniacki to return later in the day to apologise. She said she had actually hurt her leg walking into a treadmill.

"I made up the kangaroo story because it sounded better than what actually happened," Wozniacki said, adding that she had not imagined that anyone would believe the story and had already told the Danish press that it was a joke. "I'm hoping that the press conferences in the future will still be funny. I promise if I make a joke like this, I'll make sure to clarify it before I leave."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wozniacki-comes-clean-over-baby-kangaroo-tale-2192528.html

I wish more athletes would have fun with the press. Too many of those guys get the dream job yet bitch and moan far too often.