NHL '10-'11

I'm cheering for Detroit Red Wings and I'm pretty confident of this season. Favorite players in the team are Valtteri Filppula and Pavel Datsyuk. It's sad that most of the matches are played at 2AM (local time) but hopefully i'll be able to watch few matches.

What is your team?
Pittsburgh Penguins

What big moves (and bad moves) did they make this offseason?
Good:
Got Asham and Michalek. Their talents help round out the team.
Lots of great talent acquired for the Baby Pens that can step up to the NHL whenever needed.
That new arena smell must be putting the players on another level.

Bad:
Lost Guerin and Gonchar. Asham and Michalek help this out a bit, but whenever Gonchar gets going, it's tough to stop him.
Staal out with that foot injury.
Moving Malkin to the wing when he prefers center. Makes sense if Staal is around to center for him, but with Staal out, I'm sure Malkin's looking at center ice.

What is your prediction and why?
Have the division clinched before the playoffs, get 4th seed or better, make it at least to the semi-finals. Why? We may have lost Gonchar and Guerin, but their play had started to suffer a bit with age, and the replacements are working fantastically for the team. We had a strong showing last year, and the team between then and now hasn't changed much where it counts. Plus we're hosting the Winter Classic this season, so the team is motivated to do better than ever.

:D
What is your team?
Pittsburgh Penguins

What big moves (and bad moves) did they make this offseason?
Good:
Got Asham and Michalek. Their talents help round out the team.
Lots of great talent acquired for the Baby Pens that can step up to the NHL whenever needed.
That new arena smell must be putting the players on another level.

Bad:
Lost Guerin and Gonchar. Asham and Michalek help this out a bit, but whenever Gonchar gets going, it's tough to stop him.
Staal out with that foot injury.
Moving Malkin to the wing when he prefers center. Makes sense if Staal is around to center for him, but with Staal out, I'm sure Malkin's looking at center ice.

What is your prediction and why?
Have the division clinched before the playoffs, get 4th seed or better, make it at least to the semi-finals. Why? We may have lost Gonchar and Guerin, but their play had started to suffer a bit with age, and the replacements are working fantastically for the team. We had a strong showing last year, and the team between then and now hasn't changed much where it counts. Plus we're hosting the Winter Classic this season, so the team is motivated to do better than ever.

Also (i have to say it) it doesnt hurt when the Commish is sleeping with your star player. everyone knows cindy...i mean sidney takes it from gary!

I root for Detroit, partially because of my hatred for the state that borders WI from the west.

I'm glad to have NHL Network on my dish, because it means I can watch Hockey Night in Canada. Well, at least the first game.

Damn it, when the Pens opened the Civic Arena and lost, it took them 30 years to win a Cup...

I wouldn't mind so much if it hadn't been against the Flyers. The Flyers! I'm sure there are elements in Pittsburgh that would like to hop on the Turnpike East and lay siege to the bad side of the state over this.

Just a heads-up if you don't already know, if you're on Dish Network and want to watch the Fox Sports broadcasts, you're out of luck. This article gives a list of what stations are affected. It's on a Predators blog so if anyone has a less team-centric article, post it up.

Go Wings. Although I am still not liking Betuzzi being there.

Off to a good start too.

NHL.com is offering free trials of their gamecentre until the end of October. Watch any game, any time :)

The Leafs are 4-0? What the...

This is exciting a friend of mine who roots for both the Leafs and Pens.

Related: Pens finally got a win in the Consoliseum! Now to get back up to the top of the division...