2011 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

DubyaStep

Tampa, Florida but now in Casselberry for school
Car(s)
Ford Thundercougarfalconbird
So, here we go! Hockeys second season!

2 weeks left to go so let start with who do you think will make the final spots and who will win?

EAST
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

West
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Conference Finals=
Cup Finals=

Cup Winners=

Here is the way i see it:

EAST
1) Washington
2) Philly
3) Boston
4)Tampa
5) Pitt
6) Buffalo
7) Montreal
8) New York

West
1) Vancouver
2) San Jose
3) Detroit
4) LA
5) PHX
6) Anaheim
7) Nashville
8) Calgary

Conference Finals=
E) Tampa vs Boston (Boston in 6)
W) Detroit vs Vancouver (Van in 7)

Cup Winners= Vancouver in 5

Just a shot in the dark to get things started. No, im not being bias with tampa, i feel they have a legit shot at going deep but we wont make it all the way this year. I think the caps and maybe the pens will die in the first round but the caps may make it to round 2. in the west i think Van is a show in for the cup but as the commercial says "history is cruel" so lets see

EDIT: Now that the Play Off Picture is set, I thought I'd revise my predictions...

Here are my first round predictions:

East:

1. Washington vs. 8. Rangers > WSH 4-1
2. Philadelphia vs. 7 Buffalo > PHI 4-3
3. Boston vs. 6. Montreal > MTL 4-3
4. Pittsburgh vs. 5. Tampa > TBY 4-2

West:

1. Vancouver vs. 8. Chicago > VAN 4-2
2. San Jose vs. 7 Los Angeles > SJ 4-1
3. Detroit vs. 6. Phoenix* > DET 4-2
4. Nashville vs 5. Anaheim> ANA 4-2

(*NHL Announces the relocation of the Coyotes to Winnipeg after the Coyotes are eliminated).

Edit:
Conference Finals:
EAST: Washington vs. Philadelphia (PHI in 7)
WEST: Vancouver vs. San Jose (VAN in 6)
Cup Winner: Vancouver in 6

Last edited:
I'll be making a bracket later with friends, but just for kicks, I set up the Eastern Conference bracket* in NHL 11 and ran it through the Conference finals. Here's what EA's formulas came up with:

https://pic.armedcats.net/p/pe/pelicanhazard/2011/04/09/IMG_1027.JPG

This was with the latest available roster update from March 31st. The game also predicts tight contests:

Quarterfinals, four of the six Pens-Bolts games went to overtime, all but one of the Bruins-Habs games were decided by one goal, the Flyers blew a 2-0 series lead against Buffalo to nearly face elimination before coming back, the Caps were eliminated in overtime.

Semifinals, Flyers-Rangers end four games by the score of 3-2 with two of those in overtime, the Bruins again keep all but one game decided by a goal with the first and last games in the series ending in overtime.

Conference Finals, the Rangers completely dominate us. Only one game ends with the Pens behind one point, with the most humiliating loss being a 5-0 blowout in the Garden.

I've got a couple issues with this tree, the first being the Bruins' record against the Canadiens this year (2-3-1). I'm not sure they can win it in 6, especially with the atmosphere in Montreal owing to Chara's check on Pariocetty. I think it'll go to 7 and Montreal has a good chance of winning out, which would pit them against us and we haven't cracked them yet. If Montreal advances, I'd bet on us falling in 6.

Philly-Sabres is probably the matchup to watch (aside from Pens-Bolts, of course :p) owing to the Flyers' recent inconsistencies in front of an otherwise stellar rookie Bobrovsky. 50/50 that Buffalo advances, in which case the series against the Rangers becomes very interesting.

I'm not doubting its prediction of another Caps collapse. They expended all their celebratory gusto when they treated defeating us in the Winter Classic as equivalent to winning the Cup.

*I didn't do a Western Conference bracket because the final seedings are still up in the air

West:

1. Vancouver vs. 8. Chicago > VAN 4-2
2. San Jose vs. 7 Anaheim > SJ 4-1
3. Detroit vs. 6. Los Angeles > DET 4-0
4. Nashville vs 5. Phoenix*> NAS 4-1

West is wrong, Nashville cannot get home-ice with their loss tonight. And while not looking at the final few match-ups, I predict a 7th-place finish for them.

West is wrong, Nashville cannot get home-ice with their loss tonight. And while not looking at the final few match-ups, I predict a 7th-place finish for them.

Yeah, that's what I get for making my predictions before the Western Conference is set. I'll revise my picks one the Western matches are set.

Playoff predictions:

East
4 Capitals v Rangers 2
4 Flyers v Sabres 1
4 Bruins v Canadiens 1
2 Penguins v Lightning 4

West
4 Canucks v Stars 1
4 Sharks v Kings 2
4 Wings v Coyotes 2
3 Ducks v Predators 4

The only match-up I have going to the final game is the Ducks/Preds.

I also have the Stars winning tonight, thus leaving the defending Stanley Cup champions at home for the summer.

EDIT: Just realized that with that prediction, the entire Pacific division would make the playoffs. Good year for them.

Last edited:
Playoff predictions:

I also have the Stars winning tonight, thus leaving the defending Stanley Cup champions at home for the summer.

EDIT: Just realized that with that prediction, the entire Pacific division would make the playoffs. Good year for them.

Too bad they lost. It would have been nice to see the Hawks packing. (Leafs fan, so I still remember the Leafs/Hawks playoff rivalry back in the old division format (Campbell Division).

Too bad they lost. It would have been nice to see the Hawks packing. (Leafs fan, so I still remember the Leafs/Hawks playoff rivalry back in the old division format (Campbell Division).

Yep, so now I have two series going to 7 games, as I feel the Hawks will take it to Vancouver before finally falling short.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tampa beat the Pens. They're just so much more exciting this year with Stammer and Louis lighting it up.

So, first blood to the Pens...

However, so far this season (last I checked, at least), both teams have won games while on home ice. So, perhaps when we go to Tampa, the Lightnings will win those games.

...it's gonna be close.

Red Wings win 4-2 over Phoenix. They started a bit slow, but once they got moving they rolled pretty well.

Pittsburgh and Detroit both looked good tonight and really opened the flood gates. Should be exciting.

That said, Go Canucks Go!

Yeah, between Pittsburgh and Tampa for this first game, the first two periods were really just a battle of the goaltenders (Go Fleury! :p). Things fell apart for Tampa about half-way through the third period when Pittsburgh scored two goals within seconds, then an empty net goal towards the end...

This is going to be an interesting playoff, no doubt about it.

Last edited: