2011 Rugby World Cup

Coconut Chucker

Not A Dude
Car(s)
1999 BMW 323i
Starting this thread on an impulse since I was thinking about the All Blacks and their failed Tri Nations campaign. What the hell happened with that anyway, I don't know. How we lose 18-5 against a team that we had dominated 40-7 just weeks earlier is a mystery to me.

Anyway, for those of you unfamiliar with the tournament, we have:

Group A
New Zealand
France
Japan
Canada
Tonga

Group B
Argentina
England
Georgia
Romania
Scotland

Group C
Australia
Ireland
Italy
Russia
United States

Group D
Fiji
Namibia
Samoa
South Africa
Wales

I'm feeling simultaneously confident and terrified. Technically the 1987 win was within my lifetime (but a year after I was born), and I want to see us win the World Cup more than ever. Since we're hosting it, we've got our best chances to join the ranks of South Africa and Australia as two-time winners of the tournament. As disappointing as it is to lose to Australia and the Tri Nations title along with it, I think that improves our chances to win. Now we're going to enter the tournament angry, with a chip on our shoulder and points to prove to the rugby world, as opposed to going in feeling invincible and overconfident.

I'm greatly looking forward to taking out our frustrations on Tonga in just under two weeks! Only thing I'm not looking forward to is that my family will be at the game and I'll probably be watching on some internet stream.

i'm definitely hoping i can catch some of the games over here (time of day, any streams?).
of course since i've spent half a year in NZ and loved it very much, i will be rooting for the all blacks :thumbsup: :cheers:

saw the highlights of the final tri-nation match, which confused me (same reason you already stated), but i'm with you in saying it can only improve the all black's chances of winning.

i'm definitely hoping i can catch some of the games over here (time of day, any streams?).

Time of day for most matches, as I see you're in Germany (UTC+2) will be in the mornings. Most matches will be kicking off around 20:00 local time, give or take an hour or so (with a few afternoon matches here and there) in New Zealand, which is UTC+12 (be careful, on the last Sunday of September they'll be switching forwards to UTC+13 for daylight savings time).

I should be able to hook you up with some reliable streams; I'll keep you in mind as I find things out. PM me about it if I forget, which I might, heh.

Time of day for most matches, as I see you're in Germany (UTC+2) will be in the mornings. Most matches will be kicking off around 20:00 local time, give or take an hour or so (with a few afternoon matches here and there) in New Zealand, which is UTC+12 (be careful, on the last Sunday of September they'll be switching forwards to UTC+13 for daylight savings time).

I should be able to hook you up with some reliable streams; I'll keep you in mind as I find things out. PM me about it if I forget, which I might, heh.

yeah i was worried about that... from that switch onwards we will be going back to +1 so it'll be a difference of 12 hours. means i'll need to get up early for the matches... and skip work :S
oh well, i'll have to be content with watching highlights later or something like that. i guess i'll survive.

thanks a lot nonetheless :)

If the BBC are running a highlights show, I will watch the World Cup.

SKY TV is shit, so if it is Murdoch's lot I will not.

I thought Germany didn't switch back to UTC+1 for the winter until after the tournament would be over.

erm... i'm not entirely sure to be honest :lol:
i just remember half the year being +10 and the other half being +12 difference to NZ, i always imagined the switch would be made at the same time.

It would be really great to not lose to the Poms... again. :rolleyes:

Now we're going to enter the tournament angry, with a chip on our shoulder and points to prove to the rugby world, as opposed to going in feeling invincible and overconfident.

they'll still be the favourites and will get absolutely lynched by the media if they don't win....I really hated that while living there, not once did anyone go "we got outplayed", always had to point the finger at someone :rolleyes:

YES! Starts this Saturday, can't bloody wait.

Of course going for the Wallabies with my underdog team a 3-way tie between Samoa, Tonga & Georgia.

they'll still be the favourites and will get absolutely lynched by the media if they don't win....I really hated that while living there, not once did anyone go "we got outplayed", always had to point the finger at someone :rolleyes:

South Africa genuinely outplayed us in the 1995 final, but in the other three I watched that I was old enough to understand, we have no excuse. We beat ourselves. You could say we were "outplayed" sure, but that's pretty easy to do when New Zealand completely fails to rise to the occasion. That's something we've never been able to do, we're just lucky in that we're usually just the most talented team in the world.

South Africa genuinely outplayed us in the 1995 final, but in the other three I watched that I was old enough to understand, we have no excuse. We beat ourselves. You could say we were "outplayed" sure, but that's pretty easy to do when New Zealand completely fails to rise to the occasion. That's something we've never been able to do, we're just lucky in that we're usually just the most talented team in the world.

actually, I think saying you got outplayed is much harder to admit than blaming someone else. Instead of praising France for their defence in the last one, the media focused solely on the refereeing despite the fact that the AB's had so much ball in the first half, the game should have been over at the break. If the finals of the WC isn't 'worthy' enough to rise to the occasion, I don't know what is :(

Last edited:
actually, I think saying you got outplayed is much harder to admit than blaming someone else. Instead of praising France for their defence in the last one, the media focused solely on the refereeing despite the fact that the AB's had so much ball in the first half, the game should have been over at the break. If the finals of the WC isn't 'worthy' enough to rise to the occasion, I don't know what is :(

It was a good effort by France but nothing special for them. They played well but not spectacularly. We, on the other hand, bottled it. As for the refereeing, yes, that forward pass was missed, but that just happens sometimes, human refereeing is never perfect. The referee was doing everything right and was not at a good angle to see that it was forward. Unlike some rugby fans I don't get my panties in a bunch when a referee makes a mistake.

me either...although I do yell at the TV :lol:

now to wish this week to speed by so the matches can start :D

Yeah, I can't say I'm happy about referees missing calls occasionally. I'd prefer that the right call be made in any situation. I wouldn't want to win a match because the referee missed a call in the buildup to a decisive score late in the match. That one against France though we had plenty of time to get back at them from, and should have been well ahead by that point anyway. They're part of the game though even if I don't like them, so no need to get upset about it. I don't believe in corruption in officiating in international rugby so I'll never blame the referee for making an honest mistake.

That is pretty damn sweet. Love the haka and how powerful it is, no matter the situation.