NBA 2011-2012

Well, that's not happening! :lol:

NBA Kills Trade Of Paul To Lakers
Dec 08, 2011 8:59 PM EST

The blockbuster Chris Paul trade is off, according to ESPN's Marc Stein. Other media outlets are now reporting that sources have confirmed that the trade is dead.

NBA owners have pushed David Stern to kill a proposed trade that would send Paul to the Lakers from the NBA-owned Hornets.

Owners were irate with Stern during Thursday's Board of Governors meeting.

Hornets' GM Dell Demps received pressure from the NBA to back out of the agreed-upon trade and keep Paul, say sources.

The Rockets were also involved in the trade that was agreed upon in principle. Pau Gasol would have gone to Houston, while Kevin Martin, Luis Scola, Lamar Odom and Goran Dragic were set to be deal to the Hornets.

"WoW," wrote Chris Paul on Twitter as a response.

Paul will report for Hornets training camp on Friday.

The early consensus from most experts was that the Demps had received good value in return for Paul, while the Lakers were taking a big gamble by giving up so much.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/217181/NBA_Kills_Trade_Of_Paul_To_Lakers#ixzz1g09jWQSn

Stern kills Lakers? deal for Paul

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 41 minutes ago

NBA commissioner David Stern has killed the New Orleans Hornets? trade of Chris Paul after several owners complained about the league-owned team dealing the All-Star point guard to the Los Angeles Lakers, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Some owners pushed Stern to demand the trade be nullified, and the Hornets be made to keep Paul on the roster for the foreseeable future, sources said. A chorus of owners were irate with the belief that the five-month lockout had happened largely to stop big-market teams from leveraging small-market teams for star players pending free agency.

?The deal is off,? a source involved in the talks told Y! Sports. ?It?s dead.?

Hornets general manager Dell Demps is ?disconsolate? over this stunning, heavy-handed move from the commissioner?s office, a source told Y! Sports.

All the players involved in the trade have been told to report to their teams for the start of training camp on Friday.

Before Stern intervened, the Lakers had reached an agreement to acquire Paul in a three-team trade that would have cost them Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Under terms of the deal, the Lakers would have sent Gasol to the Rockets. The Hornets would have received Odom, Rockets guards Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic and forward Luis Scola, league sources said.

Houston had also agreed to send a 2012 first-round pick ? previously obtained from the Knicks ? to New Orleans as part of the package, a source said.

Hornets general manager Dell Demps had informed two of the other finalists for Paul on Thursday evening that he had a deal in place for Paul to go the Lakers, front-office sources said.

Paul had listed the Lakers as one of his preferred destinations, and it became a more clear choice for him on Thursday after the New York Knicks moved to the brink of completing a four-year, $58 million contract for free-agent center Tyson Chandler. The Knicks lost the salary-cap space they would?ve needed to sign Paul this summer, and the Lakers had been pushing hard to close a deal for Paul with Houston and New Orleans.

The Lakers could turn their attention toward using center Andrew Bynum as a trading chip to make a play for Orlando Magic center Dwight Howard.

It did seam a bit ridiculous because the Lakers would've given up BOTH Gasol and Odom. That wouldn't have made sense since there really is no other PF for the Lakers.

Last edited:
It did seam a bit ridiculous because the Lakers would've given up BOTH Gasol and Odom. That wouldn't have made sense since there really is no other PF for the Lakers.

They don't really have a PG either...

I'm really pissed that the trade got nixed. As a Laker fan this would have been awesome. Fuck David Stern.

It's bad on so many levels. Houston and New Orleans should be even more furious than LA.
unamused.gif

Lakers Set Sights On Dwight Howard
Dec 11, 2011 12:15 AM EST

The Lakers have pulled out of Chris Paul trade talks and will trade Lamar Odom to the Mavericks for a traded player exception that was moved was acquired for Tyson Chandler.

Dallas will send unspecified draft considerations to the Lakers.

"The Lakers are shifting toward trying to make a Dwight Howard deal."

David Stern is the biggest piece of shit in the history of pro-sports commissioning. He has single-handedly ruined the entire season for me. If it was up to me, I would have the entire Lakers organization protest and not play any games due to the hoopla they've been dealt from Stern's piece of shittiness.

Nice to see Paul finally getting traded but I just can't help thinking that the Clippers made a bad move by trading Eric Gordon. He was a potential All-Star in the near future and definitely their number 2 scorer on that team (+20 ppg last season). Interesting to see how this plays out (Griffin - Paul - Jordan a pretty good combo).

Pre-season games start today (nothing really interesting).

These are the games I'm looking forward to:

Knicks vs. Nets (Sat. 2pm)
Raptors vs. Celtics (Sun. 1pm)
Magic vs. Heat (Sun. 6pm)
Thunder vs. Mavs (Sun. 7:30pm)
Lakers vs. Clippers (Mon. 10:30pm)
Mavs vs. Thunder (Tues. 8pm)
Heat vs. Magic (Wed. 7pm)
Nets vs. Knicks (Wed. 7:30pm)
Lakers vs. Clippers (Wed. 10:30pm)

...and then the regular season finally starts on Sunday the 25th! :D

NBA.TV is free until Jan. 9th. Go to NBA.com, make an account and start streaming games live in HD! I guess this is NBA's gift to fans for the lockout. :D

Last edited:
Oh yeah, teletubby-warrior, forgot to tell you about this one.

Oh yeah, teletubby-warrior, forgot to tell you about this one.
I watched it, good game.

I can't say enough about Doug Collins, he's amazing. Philly is a nice team... they remind me of the Bulls before they lucked into Rose. However, while solid team play and defense is great, it's just not enough, as you saw tonight.

Which is why I worry about my Bulls...

The Bulls still have the 1 seed, but Miami is going to be extremely hard to beat in a series. Frankly, I don't see any way the Bulls, as they're currently constructed, get past Miami in the conference finals.

I pray the front office hasn't fallen in love with the current "core" again and is doing everything humanly possible to get Dwight into a Chicago jersey. Inarguably, the Bulls have the most to offer to Orlando in a trade, so I really hope they pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Posted this in the NHL thread, but figure it's worth bumping this thread too. Seattle announced plans to build a new NHL/NBA arena downtown where CenturyLink and SafeCo Fields are in the hopes of luring both an NBA and NHL team. I don't know how big hockey is in Seattle, but I'd love to see the Sonics back in town. I'd love to see the first game the Thunder come back to Seattle, if the Sonics do come back.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/sports/source-details-plan-build-seattle-nba-nhl-arena-be/nHdhJ/

http://www.newson6.com/story/16699625/seattle-plans-for-nba-franchise-could-be-in-the-works

I heard the Sacramento Kings might move to Seattle. I don't think the Thunder are gonna move back because they have a pretty serious fan base over there in OKC.

Yeah, Thunder aren't going anywhere now. What I meant was the first Thunder vs. Sonics 2.0 game in Seattle would be crazy. I think it'll either be the Kings or the Hornets that'll move to Seattle.

HUGE win for the Magic! It would be such a shame if Howard got traded before the deadline because I sincerely think this Magic team can make a great run in the playoffs this year and upset either the Heat or Bulls (last 3 games they beat the Bulls, Pacers and Heat. ;)).

HUGE win for the Magic! It would be such a shame if Howard got traded before the deadline because I sincerely think this Magic team can make a great run in the playoffs this year and upset either the Heat or Bulls (last 3 games they beat the Bulls, Pacers and Heat. ;)).

They have to trade him, or they'll lose him and get nothing in return this summer...