2011-2012 NHL Regular Season Thread

I think i said this before, Sid was pushed by the NHL to come back. Stupid thing to do, it may have ruined his career.

A lot of us here had that feeling as well, given that we were given a day's warning that he was coming back, did so against a team (the Islanders) that the NHL stepped into to punish after that horrible debacle of a fighting match last season, and with great media fanfare. Something just felt too set up about it.

EDIT: Just saw the e-mail reminder. For those interested and with the means, 24/7 Road to the Winter Classic premieres tonight on HBO. If you didn't see last year's series, it was extremely well-produced, and it was fun to gain an insight into the teams.

Last edited:
Just saw 24/7 Flyers/Rangers. I thought it was pretty good, but didn't really pick up on the zany personalities. Bryzgalov for one is usually full of funny stuff, but he comes off as a space cadet in the first ep.

Finally, after 15 long years of waiting, the Finnish Flash is returning home.

Teemu Sel?nne's homecoming to Winnipeg will something very special indeed, you can find me glued to the TV once the game starts.

Detroit has a new "big" rival??

Playoff intensity in last nights Red wings game. Wings hosted the blues.

[video=youtube;HkgIB3P-Wlc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkgIB3P-Wlc[/video]

You can argue that hit was a bit high.

And a Hasek like save.

Nashville's in fourth! In the division?

Yes, that's right, Nashville is fourth in the division and seventh in the conference. Here comes another fifth place finish and a series out west.

i love how, on new years eve, Stamkos had a hat trick and almost a 4th goal, not to mention that we erected a statue to our founder Phil Esposito in the plaza and there was not even a mention on NHL.com. fucking sad.

I don't go to NHL.com for league news anymore. Nashville was in the only game on New Year's Day, Sergei Kostitsyn had a hatty, and I can't find a game recap without digging.

I wouldnt be surprised. The problem i see is that when he scores alot of goals that seems to mean we are losing. Look at last year, when we got hot his goal scoring dies off. either way, ill be very excited if this happens

The Rocket Richard will go to Steven Stamkos, who will be the only 50-goal scorer in the NHL this season.

I never go there either.....

Red Wings hold on to what turned into a nail biter at the end. They held a 5-3 lead at the start of the third and then Dallas scored with more than 5 minutes to go.

Been on a Preds-centric kick lately, but there's been a ton of news coming out of my chosen camp. Like these tidbits...

07. The Predators have not had a crowd under 14,000 since Dec. 5th of ?09 (two years ago).

08. 16 out of 20 games so far this season have been 16,000+

After a few years of uncertainty facing the team and its residency here, that's great news. And a slight indicator of how big hockey has become in this NFL, Nascar, non-traditional hockey market.

Source

So, the nhl continues to suspend EVERYBODY! WTF? Carcillo gets 7 for playing hockey and Bourque gets 5 for hitting someone? this is unreal.

anyways, here is some funny shit, Coach Torts speaking the truth and getting in trouble for it. I love the "appology" at the end

Torts apologizes for Classic officiating criticism

New York Rangers coach John Tortorella apologized Wednesday for his negative comments about the refereeing in Monday's Winter Classic against the Philadelphia Flyers.

"I tainted the Winter Classic with my mouth," Tortorella told reporters following Wednesday's Rangers practice in Greenburgh, N.Y.

Despite the apology, the NHL announced later Wednesday that Tortorella had been fined for his comments.

"There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners," NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell said in a statement. ?People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did.

Following the Rangers' 3-2 win at Citizens Bank Park, which was televised nationally on NBC, Tortorella expressed displeasure about a series of calls during the third period with the Rangers protecting a one-goal lead.

"I'm not sure if NBC got together with the refs to turn this into an overtime game," Tortorella said. "They're two good referees (Ian Walsh and Dennis LaRue), but I thought that game was reffed horribly. I'm not sure what happened there. Maybe they wanted to get it to an overtime. I'm not sure if they had meetings about that or what. ? I just thought tonight, in that third period, it was disgusting."

Tortorella told reporters Wednesday that those comments were meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

"Using the word disgusting was not the proper way to go about it," Tortorella said. "I was wrong there."

one problem i have with the Classic is that a couple years ago they came out and made it clear that it would only ever involve certain northern teams. I know it unrealistic to want to see Tampa play in the classic but my point is, acording to the NHL, it will never happen. i would love to see it in Toronto though, maybe Toronto vs Buffalo. That would be great.