Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Contemplating the idea of leaving the 1D mkIIn at home and renting a 5D mkII for an up coming trip to London...sound like a plan?

Take the camera you're used to, unless you have the funds to rent the 5dMKII for a month before leaving so you can get totally used to all the interfaces etc. Otherwise you'll be kicking yourself every time you miss a shot while fumbling.

Sorry to butt in with this, but I'm thinking of upgrading the current camera bag that I have for a more spacious one.

Currently I have the Lowepro Terraclime 100 (it came as a kit with my camera for free):

LOWEPRO_Terraclime_100_Noir-p-LOWEPROLPB35287N.jpg

It's fine, but when I have to carry the 450D, 2-3 lenses (including the zoom lens), 2 filters, manual, cards, cable and/or small card reader, charger and sometimes even the point and shoot for video, it gets a bit erm full. I've only carried all of the above when it came to the India trip, but you never know what'll happen in the future.

I'm headed up for an observing run next week from the 22nd to the 25th and during one of the nights, if the weather is clear enough I want to go out and take star trails. I'm planning on getting a wireless remote and so that's going to add to the list of things I already have to carry. So I was wondering what sort of bag would you recommend I start using from now on.

If you guys recommend a backpack, I would need it to carry my laptop and maybe my lab notebook. I'm pretty happy with my current backpack as it is, so a shoulder bag or camera bag would be better suited for my needs.

Thanks.

^ That looks incredible, but it might a bit too big to lug around to be honest.

I don't mind carrying my laptop and notebook in my regular backpack, so I just really need something dedicated to carry my lenses and stuff.

The best way to find out whether you'll like a bag is to go to a camera store with all of your gear and try it out ;)

^ True that. Although the reviews help a bit, it's up to your taste and comfort.

I got another owner of a car forum asking me about a lens he would like to purchase: a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS lens for Canon bodies. My opinion was right down the middle, I know of the equivalent Nikor lens and thought that it was fine.

Any pro opinions on this lens or Sigma in general?

How do you check if memory cards are real and not fake?

I just got a very good deal for a Class 6 SDHC SanDisk which sound too good to be true. The card itself looks fake and I haven't been able to find it anywhere on the net, but how can you make sure? I've also tried to test its speed to see if it really is a class 6 but since my card reader won't read SDHC (the damn thing is really old and reads only SD) I couldn't do that. I can only connect it to my PC through the camera, that meaning card in camera and camera connected via usb. Is there any way to test speed this way?

The camera works really good with it. Also, a picture of the suspect
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/al/alxbwscrew/2011/02/24/memcard.jpg

Last edited:
I understood that testing the speed was the point...
No, that was more a curiosity of mine.

If it works well enough and it was cheap, why bother wondering if it's fake or not?
Well, I guess you're right, even if it is fake it's still ok.

The guy claims they aren't fake at all (even though he has no evidence) and I wanted to verify that somehow.

Thank you all for your help.

I did contact SanDisk myself and they have confirmed that it is indeed an original memory card. That said, I have managed to test its speed today and it is nowhere near as fast as they claim on the packaging. In fact, one of my other standard SD cards did much better.

If someone out there needs to test the write/read speed of their removable media I recommend this programe. It's free, really, really simple to use and it is able to test your hard disk as well.

If you're testing the speed through your camera, it's going to be a lot slower than if you use a USB 2.0 card reader.

I did the test using a card reader. I haven't figured out how to run the test through the camera.