Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Yet another question. We're going to yellowstone on Friday (and back on July 5th). I was hoping to take my tripod with me, but I don't think we're planning on taking any check-in baggages to save time. Since tripods are probably not allowed on flight as is (unless I'm wrong about that), is it worthwhile to get like a joby gorillapod SLR Zoom (supports 3 kg).
Insofar as whether a GorillaPod SLR Zoom works well in a pinch: yes, it does. Insofar as what the TSA will do about a tripod in carry-on, well... their policies are based on the presidents' favourite colour of the moment, so it's as good as "random".

Reactions: LP
Insofar as whether a GorillaPod SLR Zoom works well in a pinch: yes, it does. Insofar as what the TSA will do about a tripod in carry-on, well... their policies are based on the presidents' favourite colour of the moment, so it's as good as "random".

I saw that about the TSA on one website as well. Since you guys are more experienced in the matter I guess the best thing to do is to get the SLR zoom. It's $50 but it's better than nothin. I know the ballhead allows you to rotate the camera around and whatnot but from the looks of it it's kinda expensive. I'm budgeting a little bit at the moment since I had to fund myself for the trip amongst other things so.

Bought the Gorillapod SLR Zoom with ballhead and quick release :D

Gotta love it when you're woken up by the editor after four hours sleep and told to do three stories in two hours. Great. At least it gets you paid.

Interesting technical concept, but the slogan really says it all ... "Shoot Now, Focus Later" ... indeed :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So I bought an el cheapnik timer remote (screw paying $130 for a plastic stick with features that powershots get out of the box, an intervalometre would totally be too difficult to include in >$1000 cameras :rolleyes:) and after thinking it didn't work at all I realised the plug was just like 0.1mm too long. Well, I filed the plug a bit, cleaned the end off, and it works perfectly. Gotta love the chinese! :lol:

Pfft... an intervalometer really ought to be standard in any digital camera. You implement it once and then it basically costs nothing to reproduce.

I agree with Nick epp.

That really is pointless but boys with more money than brains who also like photography might think that it's brilliant.

It's the stupidest thing since err.. Calling Budweiser beer.

That really is pointless but boys with more money than brains who also like photography might think that it's brilliant.
I honestly don't think so. Boys with money have their toys for sure, but this isn't even a toy and a crappy conversation piece as well. Even if one's so daft to spend money on lenses w/o actually knowing how to take pictures worth of even a phone camera, sporting an iPhone attached to a 400mm lens is very, very low on Look-At-Me scale. It looks way cooler attached to a $2k body you've no idea how to use anyway.

Sure it will, but the question is is it epic crop factor or does it have a 35mm filter. Hmm..... who actually cares is probably the better question come to think of it...

But those cameras already have f2.8 lenses on the camera anyway, so I don't see how this will give you some nice DOF?

DoF is a factor not only of aperture, but also of image pane size (as well as focus distance). The iPhone still has a tiny little sensor, even when compared to APS-C or 4/3rds.

Last edited: