Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

CF cards used to be quite superior to SD, which meant that any pro around usually had about five hundred of them in their camera bags. Therefore, swapping to SD didn't make any sense, especially as there's little space to be saved. Personally, I also prefer them to SD cards as they're physically larger and therefore harder to lose. This can be important, especially if you're out in the dark in freezing cold. The smaller the card, the easier to lose with your frozen fingers.

Makes sense... although, it's a little weird seeing half of Nikon's lineup using SD and half using CF.

I always hated CF cards because they reminded me of a wafer or something, but I can see why the bigger dimensions would be preferred if you do any kind of real work.

^ The D300's successor is supposed to have CF and SD card slots. Sounds good to me.

I'm in an artistic rut. Haven't even picked up the camera in a few days, school and the lady are taking most of my concentration. I think I've gone a few days in there where I've walked right by my camera bag and not even thought about it.

Edit: Have been thinking about studio type work lately, but I need to get a lighting kit first. A lot of the stuff I do think about recently is mainly posed photography rather than my normal walk around style which makes it much more difficult to do on a busy schedule.

Last edited:
Re: CF vs. SD, the earlier SD cards were easy to bend and destroy plus they were limited in size (capacity.) So, a lot of the earlier cameras used CF but they are now switching over to SD. Canon, for example, has switched the rebel series from CF over to SD, which makes it hard for people like me (multiple bodies and don't want to use more than one type of memory card.) At some point, I'm going to have to get 4 new bodies and move everything over to SD, if I stay with the rebel series.

@PDuck, I think it's a myth that you need to shoot everyday. It's better to go to the camera bag and pick it up with purpose and intent, rather than just because "today is Tuesday," right? Enjoy downtime, it doesn't happen often and, the better you get, the more you wish you had it. Relax a little, photos will always come.

I think pretty much all the entry level DSLRs that Canon and Nikon offer use the SD cards... I borrowed cameras from people, namely the older Rebels and 30D, but when I got my own (newer rebel) and used my friend's D90, they used SD cards but luckily I had some sitting around...

I think it's a myth that you need to shoot everyday. It's better to go to the camera bag and pick it up with purpose and intent, rather than just because "today is Tuesday," right? Enjoy downtime, it doesn't happen often and, the better you get, the more you wish you had it. Relax a little, photos will always come.
I know ... I just wish these times wouldn't come when I'm on vacation :(

BTW, nice avatar, duck :p

Mucho Gracias Senor!

I'm thinking of getting ebay wireless triggers for my upcoming light kit. Any recommendations or are they all crapshoots? I already plan on doing a few basic mods, so feel free to recommend a kit that would require mods to be acceptable.

Two questions:

Why does B&H Photo's website have "operating hours"?
Do I really need to spend $100+ to get a decent CPL filter?

i spent 69? on hoya not pro model and has worked fine...

Two questions:

Why does B&H Photo's website have "operating hours"?
Do I really need to spend $100+ to get a decent CPL filter?
I use a CPL from the '80s and it works fine. I'm sure you could get a pretty cheap used one.

I need...

-another flash gun
-an SU-800
-tripod
-Dakine Sequence back pack
-Sigma 10-20
-Nikon 35mm f/1.8G

...which one do you guys think I should get first? :D

35/1.8

It's a gem! Remember the SU's are IR devices, so it might get sketchy.

The operating hours refer to the physical store in NYC.

Yes, but you have to read carefully.

The folks who own B&H are Jewish and celebrate Jewish holiday by closing the store and closing at certain hours ("before dark" according to their belief.) During certain holidays, they do not even take web orders. (It's against their religious beliefs to do so.) They try to put pop up boxes on the site to indicate this, so you don't get stuck putting an order in for something and then waiting two weeks until it ships.

any opinions about lowepro slingshot 200AW?

The folks who own B&H are Jewish and celebrate Jewish holiday by closing the store and closing at certain hours ("before dark" according to their belief.) During certain holidays, they do not even take web orders. (It's against their religious beliefs to do so.) They try to put pop up boxes on the site to indicate this, so you don't get stuck putting an order in for something and then waiting two weeks until it ships.
It's amazing they manage to work their business that way. Kudos to them for that.

Oh, I know, I've gotten that message plenty of times. Their service is still outstanding, at least from my experience

any opinions about lowepro slingshot 200AW?
I like my 350AW but I'd caution you to go try one loaded with your gear first. It takes a while to get the shoulder strap situated right and it can be a little painful until then. Also make sure that all your gear fits so you know whether or not you need to upgrade. I haven't tested the AW part of the equation yet, but it was one of the main reasons I purchased it.

Well i need an upgrade because my current shoulder bag carries only my 350D with short lens + flash + filters.. maybe if i squeeze it can hold one lens more but it aint quick to get my cam out of there then...

i'm investigating a flash for my set up at work (i photograph jewellery)
Is there such a thing as a flash box? - meaning that the flash is inside an opaque perspex (or similar) box, that i would then sit the jewellery on, and therefore giving me a perfect white background, without interfering with the exposure of the piece of jewellery..
Can something like this be bought?