Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

As a quickie; any knowledge of how much a Nikkor 24mm f2.8 is? And is it a decent lens?

As a quickie; any knowledge of how much a Nikkor 24mm f2.8 is? And is it a decent lens?

I've heard that it's excellent for landscape and in my country it's about 245 pounds.

Hmm thats what websites here seem to say (on price). Its just that theres one on ebay for just under a hundred. Its of the older AF type, but my D50 will take that. Cheers anyway.

EDIT: Eh it went for ?142; I set my max bid as 140. Don't really want it that much. Probably a bargain, but that's someone else's bargain.

Edit2: Classic expenses for us UKanians; you say your price is about 245, but Amazon UK will sell you one for ?330. :lol:

Last edited:
Does anybody know what the ideal resolution is in order to upload photos on Facebook? I've tried to find out what kind of image size they accept (without resizing it/which has less quality loss) but I haven't found out nothing. Also, what's the deal with those standard resolution and high resolution options?

I would say "none", since...

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

If you must post, then make sure you watermark the crap out of it.

Last edited:
I would say "none", since...

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

If you must post, then make sure you watermark the crap out of it.

I'm well aware of that, that's why I watermark my pictures now. But since my work is worth next to nothing I only use a standard text watermark in the corner. Once my photography starts to become valuable, then I'll take more drastic measures.

Until then, I still struggle to find that elusive ideal resolution.

LE: I just found out about "chimping" today and I must say it sound very funny the first time you hear it :lol:.

Last edited:
One for Alok and Paddy: where would I find those suction-cup-clamp-thingies for doing rig shots?

i would use the clamps which are used for removing floor "tiles" in for example datacenters.. They pack great power.. maybe enough to suction dent your car but :D

these ones..

Last edited:
One for Alok and Paddy: where would I find those suction-cup-clamp-thingies for doing rig shots?

You need this:
http://www.amazon.com/F1000-Pump-Cu...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1302183064&sr=1-2

If you scroll, you see the frequently bought together section. For a relatively good rig, you need the avenger cup, superclamps, two of each, then a light rigid pipe of some sort, and then either have some sort of ball head custom fitment of a quick release plate on the end of the pipe, or just another superclamp + magic arm with quick release plate combo for the end of the pipe.

A direct fitment of a ballhead to the end of the pipe is ideal because it involves less moving parts, less weight and therefore less load. On the otherhand, the magic arm/clamp combo at the end of the pipe is highly versatile because of it's high degree of freedom.

PM me or skype if you need any help :)

Thanks, guys. A pipe is simple enough to find at the local hardware store; I figure I should be able to wrap my GorillaPod (w/ ballhead) around the end of it.

Last edited:
Just recently started my foray into 35mm B+W film, and it's been amazingly fun. Hardest part is taking out the damn film from the canister in complete darkness, but from there it's just pure amazement to me. Makes me think a lot more about the shots I'm taking, and then not knowing how they came out until much later.

Had a play with a 7D today - i'm in love :love:

This is dangerous. I did that and then a few weeks later lots of money disappeared from my account and a 7d landed at my door.

It's magnificent.

Interesting, but it will be overpriced, no doubt. And, what is with this wonky 58mm filter size Nikon is putting on their new primes?

Canon uses 58mm on a lot of their lower end stuff... haha. I have 3 lenses that are 58mm filter sized..

Hey,
I am quite interested in getting into photography and I was just wondering if you could recommend a good camera?

Preferably quite cheap because I am a student and dont have the recources for an expensive one.
Oh and I really like underwater photography so maybe one that is water resistant, but I'm mainly after quality of picture.
Thanks