Your Camera Equipment

Ordered some things last night from Jessops, and they arrived today to my surprise.

What I got:
Hoya 55mm Polariser
Sony 50mm f1.8 SAM Portrait Lens
Hahnel HRS 280 Remote Cable Release for Sony DSLR's (80cm/2m)

Only things I have bought for my A200 since I got it in April and hopefully I won't need to buy anything else for it for a while. Looking forward to using them all, its going to be a fun weekend.

Sorry bout the bad pic, it was on my iPhone.
http://img99.imageshack.**/img99/9013/photozh.jpg

Sir Stiggington, that looks like a good price to me. The only issue with Sigma lenses is that they are often somewhat misaligned out of the factory. I believe Ice has the 70-200 2.8 which he is very happy with but even that was slightly "off" out of the box. The good thing about 70-300 (over the 70-200) is the extra reach is great for things like nature.

Last edited:
What does it mean exactly when you say it's misaligned?

Well the quality control, although good isn't up to the standard of some of the other manufacturers. This has meant that a lot of people have lenses that are well below standard. You can easily tell because you'll find the lens is giving you soft results. If this happens you can always get the problem fixed by sending the lens to Sigma for calibration.

By misaligned, I think he means that it has a front or rear focusing problem (ie.: it focuses too close or too far away from the selected AF point).

70-200 focuses ok. The 24mm had front focus. Sent it to the shop, was fixed in 15 minutes.

I honestly have no idea about the witchcraft that goes on inside lenses, I just assume misalignment causes front and back focusing and a whole host of other lens problemos.

Light goes in, magic happens, image comes out upside down the other side.

And can be fixed by sending the lens to speech class, or in this case, the shop, where they put it on a cam, put a grid @ 45? and 20x the focal length away, take pics, read how much it's off by, plug the lens into a computer, which can access its firmware, patch the firmware, test again to make sure it's correct.

Takes 30 minutes and was in my case covered by the warranty.

Aren't you guys talking miscalibration? I thought misalignment meant an element or two are misaligned (resulting in either overall crapness or one side of the image being blurry). Eh?

I need the cheapest solution to a perfect white background for portraits possible?

White draw down curtain might do the job. Or just a wall painted with the desired white color.

Aren't you guys talking miscalibration? I thought misalignment meant an element or two are misaligned (resulting in either overall crapness or one side of the image being blurry). Eh?

A misaligned element is generally referred to as "decentered."

Got myself another FL-50R wireless flash for xmas.

Good hollidays to you all, hope you'll do some properly nice eating! ;)

It's not camera equipment but as I got it with photography in mind I guess it sort of belongs here, I now have a HP LP2475W monitor which is quite a big step up from my free Dell one. It's bloody huge too but I'm hoping I will get used to it. It's also quite a step up in terms of resolution, I have been using 1280*1024 for years now I'm at 1920*1200. Unfortunately despite my best hopes, none of my shit photographs look any better now that I can see more gamut :p.

How is that monitor for colour rendition? I'd like to upgrade from my 17", but the last time I tried (bought a Dell 20-something inch), the monitor I bought had a nasty colour cast.