Journey of a DSLR n00b - 56K go run crying and suck on yo momma's teet!

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
OK so I finally took the plunge and bought myself a Canon EOS 600D with a few little bits and pieces.

30 years ago a photographer friend of my mum's helped me buy a second hand Kodak Retina 1b 35mm camera and commented that I had a natural eye for good shots. Whatever. I think he may have just been trying to get into her pants but anyhoo having played with a couple of friends' cameras and produced not such bad results I figured I should give it a go.

I'm not going to resize anything I post in here - I want anyone wishing to offer help and advice to be able to see the results here in all their shame. Any help and advice appreciated.

Here's a select few from the last couple of days or so..... All raw and unprocessed. Haven't got into post snap manipulation yet.

London to Brighton Jaaaaag Run 2013

XKRS Detail

Old Leaper from an SS

Interesting light this evening....

Got you covered.

SLR makes the world around you look so much more amazing... I need one in my life.

Enjoy your new camera and have fun.

A few things:
Enjoy it - don?t care too much what others think about your pictures. Listen to criticism but don?t let it take the fun of out of it.
Experiment - go crazy with settings, lighting, filters, whatever. You will probably have lots of terrible results, but it will give you a better sense of how differents things affect the outcome.
Read - Seriously. RTFM. Then read it again. And then read about photography when you can. You can always learn something.

A few things:
Enjoy it - don?t care too much what others think about your pictures. Listen to criticism but don?t let it take the fun of out of it.
Experiment - go crazy with settings, lighting, filters, whatever. You will probably have lots of terrible results, but it will give you a better sense of how differents things affect the outcome.
Read - Seriously. RTFM. Then read it again. And then read about photography when you can. You can always learn something.

Those are my plans. Looking forward to getting to grips with it.

And showing that smug Slovenian how it's done! ;)

Agree w RTFM otherwise you'll only scratch the surface on functions your camera is capable of. But if you want yo invest the extra money buy a good 3rd party user guide book for the 600D.

A standard manual will tell you what functions do what, but a good user guide book will explain all of those and WHY and HOW they can be applied towards your photography.

Also try checking out a magazine called Photoplus. They have a Canon specific edition, with loads of tutorials, equipment reviews, and shooting challenges to give you some ideas.
It's pretty hard to find over here, but I've kept the editions I found, for future reference.

+1 for experimenting. I took my 600D on a bus driving job last year to a local public garden. Had 4 hours to myself, so I wandered around and took nearly 400 photos, just changing various settings around to see what happened. Got quite a few decent shots out of it.

Been grabbing a few more shots today. Of course idiot features forgot to turn the ISO setting back to auto but I'm still pleased with these.

DBS and Montreal! :woot:

Had a Skype Lightroom tutorial with Ice this evening and played with the DBS shot.

Here's the one I made monochrome in iPhoto....

_MG_0262.jpg

And here's the updated version....

I think I'd want my money back if I had condensation in the rear lights of my DBS. Oh sorry, photos...

Personally I don't think you need anything more than Lightroom.

Some of my favourites from last weekend on the Cote d'Azur here

Great job on that red sign one. You captured the time of day perfectly to have the best exposure.

Reactions: MWF
You are learning fast, Matt. Congrats!

Cheers guys. I'll do better once I find time to RTFM!!! :lol:

Went to a classic car thing in Eastbourne last year. Weather was shite and the regular car photos I will post elsewhere but a TVR with colour shift paint and raindrops gave me something to play with....

12853736664_04d5ac87d5_b.jpg

12853393533_551458d186_b.jpg

12853741084_ddb21a7c3b_b.jpg