Matt2000's Ill-Fated Foray Into The World Of Vector Art (WIP Stuff)

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
After being in awe of the work of Blayde and similar I've decided that I'd like to get a bit more involved in this vector art. I've been looking through my Photoshop folder and scared myself slightly when I realised that the first vector-based shirt designs I did for FG were in 2009, I remember doing those as if they were yesterday.

Anyway I'll be using this thread as my random thoughts thread for my stuff, since we don't have a RT thread in Photoshop. Although quite a few will have seen bits of my work before I'm ignoring all of that and will only post new work, aiming it at poster/t-shirt ideas... probably very geeky ones too.

This is a WIP of what I'm working on at the moment, no prizes for guessing what this engine can be found in.

Design 2 Screen.jpg

Constructive/destructive criticism and French taunting are all welcome.

Looks good to me, but nowadays i constrain myself to think in shirt/print dimensions, I'm no artist myself, i just accumulated what skills i could teach myself and manage from there, I would recommend you learn both illustrator and photoshop side by side because from what ive seen with little use of illustrator, it is definitely the more powerful vector tool. The only issue is the interfaces are almost, but not entirely, completely dissimilar :p

I would recommend you learn both illustrator and photoshop side by side because from what ive seen with little use of illustrator, it is definitely the more powerful vector tool. The only issue is the interfaces are almost, but not entirely, completely dissimilar :p

I have played with Illustrator before and I've never been able to get on with it for that exact reason. I will admit that paths in PS can be a real pain though for many reasons.

I dug out my old shirt images from doing the FG shirts, how does this look?

_Shirt Design 1 Shirt.jpg

Another arrangement on the same theme, more logical layout.

_Shirt Design 2 Shirt.jpg

Blayde: How do you get on with the logos in your shirt designs, for example the Mazda or Mercedes ones? I have a Land Rover logo made to fit into the oval space on the intake (top) but I don't know if I'll be able to use it.

Time to dig this up with a cross post from RT, I've finally got my shit together and made something to upload to RB.

11345d1387413200-discovectorrb.jpg

I won't be posting a larger image in the hope that this won't now be nicked like the last one was (but seems to be selling OK so there's hope for me yet). I'm also not calling these 'vector' images any more. They're just illustrations, mainly because I've accepted that I will never move away from Photoshop for them now I have a workable system. Raster editing is also far too useful for me to get rid and go purely vector based.

The engine designs are still ongoing, I have a few more up my sleeve but the Disco image was my priority for a while.

I won't be posting a larger image in the hope that this won't now be nicked like the last one was

where/when did this happen?

where/when did this happen?

Well, back in 2009 I posted about me finishing my second 'vector' here. It's the only place that image exists on the internets according to Google images. Some time this year I was looking for Land Rover related T-shirts and came across this for sale, the similarity is amazing.

I probably could contact them and politely ask for a small amount of compensation but I haven't so far, apparently 242 shirts have been sold so it's popular. I've just been happy to see it online. From now on I'm keeping stuff to myself if it's to go on sale.

Edit: It turns out that the M5 image I did as my first attempt has caught the attention of someone too, it shows up in someone's signature here.

Last edited:
Tbh unless you took the base photo they could've just used illustrator to livetrace the original photo.

Unless you drew it by hand from no reference then you can have eBay pull it

Looking at it more closely (was looking at it on my phone) it does look like a blatant rip off your work, i'd suggest contacting the seller about some sort of licensing free taking it down immediately or if they want to be difficult having ebay pull it and putting on your own store, they obviously took your work and didnt pay you squat, even at 1 pound profit a shirt that's 240 pounds you didnt get a share off.

Surprising from a store with 99.99 positive feedback, but looking at their back catalog, looks like they rip off more than a few artists i know, who i am contacting now, i suggest you do the same so they are pressured with taking it down before ebay takes action.

If it were me i'd add the work regardless to my own store, if anyone claims anything you can prove its your work

Last edited:
Looking at it more closely (was looking at it on my phone) it does look like a blatant rip off your work, i'd suggest contacting the seller about some sort of licensing free taking it down immediately or if they want to be difficult having ebay pull it and putting on your own store, they obviously took your work and didnt pay you squat, even at 1 pound profit a shirt that's 240 pounds you didnt get a share off.

Surprising from a store with 99.99 positive feedback, but looking at their back catalog, looks like they rip off more than a few artists i know, who i am contacting now, i suggest you do the same so they are pressured with taking it down before ebay takes action.

If it were me i'd add the work regardless to my own store, if anyone claims anything you can prove its your work

It's not just eBay, that's a Hotscamp shirt. Thanks for the advice, I'll get in touch with Hotscamp directly because seems like one of their designers prefers to spend the time nicking other peoples work instead of making their own. It's on their front page. :roll:

I'll get it added to my portfolio anyway like you say, in full colour instead of flattened to black only.

On a happier note, I have played around with the Discovery design and put it on sale in my store, in two varieties:

Just the Discovery logo:

fig,grass_green,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg

Or with the slogan that MWF came up with:

fig,grass_green,mens,ffffff.u1.jpg

Reactions: MWF
Tried a dark Purple and white, instead of Green and white? Especially the engine. ...

You lost me for a second there. I've disabled a lot of the dark colours for this design because the design is just lost. I haven't played around with colours on the engine components design but once it's on RB I'll check before putting it on sale. :)

A sneak preview of the progress on the Anglia that Andeh suggested. :)

Edit: Removed before anyone else gets hold of it. Next time you'll see it is when it's done and on RB. :D

Last edited: