800 DPI vs. 2000 DPI Laser Mouse

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I've been considering getting a Logitech laser mouse. They make 3:

MX1000

Wireless, 800 DPI, back/foward buttons for the Internet, no on the fly DPI changing, but long battery life supposedly. I've tried this mouse and I really like it.

G5

Wired, 2000 DPI, on the fly changing, weight adjustment, but only one side button (my HUGE problem with it).

G7

Wireless, 2000 DPI, on the fly changing, battery switching, but again only one side button! :(

Now the G5 and G7 are pretty much out the window as I REALLY want side buttons. So, that leaves the MX1000.

So my question is, is there really a noticable difference between 800 DPI and 2000 DPI? Now mind you I'm currently using a Intellimouse 4 optical, so anything is going to be an improvement. Not to mention I can always adjust for the lower DPI with a higher sensitivity or whatever.

And I'm asking as the MX1000 is on sale at Newegg for only 42 BUCKS through the end of the month (that's more than $20 off store retail!).

Can't say i've ever really noticed. Don't go by facts and figures. When it comes to things like mice, all that matters is you like it. its clear the buttons are a biggre issue to you than the dpi.

My brother has the MX1000. It seems to be a really good mouse. Only thing is the wheel, which is a bit too loose for me, but that may just be this particular mouse.

The MX1000 shuts itself down very quickly so i think the batteries will go long time. I've got an MX900 (?) and those batteries recently died after 2 years. Avarage time to recharge was approx 5 days or so.

About the 800 vs 2000: this forum thread
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=32160
that forum thread said:
I have the g7 and it is light years ahead of my old mx700. No wireless lag at all and the accuracy is amazing. For you smart guys saying that a mouse won't make you any better you probably aren't very serious gamers. 2000 DPI opposed to say 800 makes a huge difference, it's no the same as merely turning up the in-game or windows sensativity.

viper my advice to you is that you should go with the mx1000 mouse, it really glides and i have no problems photoshopping small tedious areas etc, its more than adequate in my opinion

mind you, if you are a eye twichingly serious gamer then the mx518 is a real good choice, see what the budget allows

Yes, I'm a huge gamer and I'm looking for a primary gaming mouse that can also do double duty for when surfing/coding. The G5/7 can seem to do the first, but not really the 2nd.

And wow, the MX518 is only $30.

I do like that it'd wired (less weight) and the high DPI, but what about the optical? Is laser all hype or is it really that much better than optical?

If it's just hype, then the MX518 it is! :)

fareway said:
and yes you do notice the difference, people who don't need to set the right DPI

You notice it when using that mouse because it doesn't change the sensitivity of the game correspondingly. So moving the mouse over the same distance on the table would make the cursor move more or less.
So yes, you notice in that case, but for all the wrong reasons when comparing it to DPI mouse vs mouse.

I have the MX1000 and has been using it for about few months. I love it. At first though, it sucked for First person shooters because there was some sort of signal lag with it. I have tried the G5/g7, those are definitely gaming mouses but not an every day mouse like the mx1000.

I really can't tell you exactly what to you, just know that I have one and that i love it.

I use the MX518...it's perfect. 1600dpi is more then enough for me. I play BF2 at 800dpi most the time, but being able to drop it to 400 when sniping, it's great :D. I thought of the MX1000..but the price was just a little more then I wanted to spend, the MX518 is perfect for the value.

Used a G5 and didn't like that there wasn't a forward button on the side of the mouse. And I just couldn't figure out what weight I wanted.

Well see, my dilema now is that the MX1000 is only $10 more than the MX518 now. :(

(It's between these two mice at this point.)

oh yea speaking of hte batteries, OMG I love how ithere's a indicator on the mouse. and it's so convenient to just drop the mouse into the cradle and have it completely charged overnight.

And I love wireless desktops. I can go on my bed andw atch BSG on my bed with the 20" ws dell lcd.

Ooh, forgot what i would go for.

I'd go for the G5, its the replacement for the mx518 so a tad newer. And I like the idea of being able to add and take away weights.

The G7 is the replacement for the mx1000, a wireless mouse. I have a wireless mouse, but to be honest its caused me a few minor practical problems. Like dropping it, and sometimes forgetting to recharge the batteries. Also wireless mice are a bit heavier. So if you like to pick up the mouse while playing games that can be a bit harder.
But still it might be hard to resist this:
28613_4_1.jpg

<3

Kip_6666 said:

"I want to know eveything about that" What is that mouse?

Anyway, yes you DO notice a diffrence from 800 to 2000dpi. For example, you move the mouse an inch in the real world in 800 the mouse moves from one side of the screen to about 20% more inward towards what ever. With 2000dpi that same movement will make the pointer move clear accross the screen. I know thrilling its'ent it? Anway, that's not the point. The point is, in CS / BF / CoD / UT you can use the 2000dpi to fly 180 when you have to and shoot that guy that's attemping to creep up on you in the head. B/c not only will you rotate faster in 2000dpi you will also have better accuracy. That's enough of me butchering the english language for this post.

Dygear: Looks like a G7 with some weird (but sweet!) color scheme.

Kip_6666 said:
Ooh, forgot what i would go for.

I'd go for the G5, its the replacement for the mx518 so a tad newer. And I like the idea of being able to add and take away weights.

The G7 is the replacement for the mx1000, a wireless mouse. I have a wireless mouse, but to be honest its caused me a few minor practical problems. Like dropping it, and sometimes forgetting to recharge the batteries. Also wireless mice are a bit heavier. So if you like to pick up the mouse while playing games that can be a bit harder.
The lack of two side buttons makes me refuse to buy either G mouse. :?

my wired mx510
is fine

old but has tons of customizable buttons

2 on the side (copy/paste)

2 on top (fast scroll)

a wheel

and another on top...currently set to close the app

I'd go for the mx518. I have an mx510 and it rocks. I'm sure the 518 is even better. I don't care for wireless, so I would avoid the 1000. Also, I tried the 1000 out at Office Max and it seems too bulky, especially compared to the 510 or 518.

what are those two side buttons that you're tlaking about viper? the forward/back browser buttons? if so, these are marvelous!