Question* HardDrive Hook up through USB

kenezzite

Well I have this two HardDrives from my older pc, and I was wondering if I can somehow hook them up to my laptop through USB. Is it Possible?
If it is, what kind of cables do I need? please help

One is a one year old harddrive, 40GB, the other one is 20GB. Can't remember the name of the brand.

Yeah, internal laptop HDs are smaller IIRC. As Andrew911tt said, you'll need an external enclosure for USB/firewire.

For normal HDD's you need a 3.5" external enclosure, for laptop drives I think you need a 2.5" external enclosure.

jasonchiu said:
dont u just buy a cheap IDE to USB cable and plug it in ur HD and put it in a case?
And spend a bunch of money when he could just spend $20-$30 for a enclosure?

o right well the enclosures are dirt cheap here so i was'nt thinkin about that.

what is the alturnative?

Oh, I'm sorry, I misread you saying that he should buy a cheap HD and not a cable. :|

And this is for his laptop, not a desktop. ;)

I think if I can find a cheap enclosure i'm going to get that. It's just I don't want to through away those HD's I have, if I can use them for storage.

kenezzite said:
I think if I can find a cheap enclosure i'm going to get that. It's just I don't want to through away those HD's I have, if I can use them for storage.
If you are looking at enclosures, try to find one that has a cooling fan. I have an aluminum USB2.0\FireWire enclosure that has an 80mm cooling fan and I can leave it running 24\7 with no heating problems at all. It obvsiouly cost a bit more than a plastic enclosure, but I would highly recommend looking for one with a fan.