Windows + 360 Controller

Lol no the ps3 controller is a turd sorry :( My mum's bring back a dualshock 3 from the states for me so we'll see how that fairs (it's less than half the price in the US)

It's leaps and bounds better. I accidentally killed the battery on my DS3 (left it on for quite a while) and didn't feel like playing wired while it charged, so I swapped and used the original controller for the very first time (I bought a DS3 at the same time I bought my PS3).

It's a load of junk compared to the DS3. The DS3 is might heavier (nice) and feels better built (texture, etc.). The sticks also feel better (less grinding or something).

So, the PS3 and 360 controllers work with windows? And with any game?

Just the 360 controllers sadly. The PS3 ones are bluetooth (which is a problem for a PC obviously), plus I don't think anyone has written drivers.

But since MS does both Windows and the 360, they have written drivers.

Depends on the game. GT5P is like this (and it drives me nuts), but in GTA4, R2/L2 are the throttle and brake and I love them.

Yeah, but the R2/L2 on the PS3 doesn't compare to the 360 triggers.

Yeah, but the R2/L2 on the PS3 doesn't compare to the 360 triggers.
You may have me there. I can't remember how they felt the few times I've used the 360 controllers, I just know the shape was a little awkward compared to the PS2's (and now PS3's).

Just the 360 controllers sadly. The PS3 ones are bluetooth (which is a problem for a PC obviously), plus I don't think anyone has written drivers.

But since MS does both Windows and the 360, they have written drivers.

There are drivers for the ps3 controller floating around, just plug it in to your computer with a USB cable (damn that cable sony gives you is short though)

I've heard that the PS3 controller works on windows, but not as good as it should, though I haven't personally tried it.

There are drivers for the ps3 controller floating around, just plug it in to your computer with a USB cable (damn that cable sony gives you is short though)

I've heard that the PS3 controller works on windows, but not as good as it should, though I haven't personally tried it.

You guys get +rep!

I Googled, found some, and they work wonderfully. Sadly, at least GRID, detects L2/R2 as buttons rather than axis (i.e. on/off) so I ended up using up/down on the right stick for throttle, but it's still entirely badass.

You guys saved me $42! :D

Nice! Analog sticks work fine?

The ps3 controller I find works better for old school games (jazz jackrabbit etc) than the 360 controller which works better for newer games.

Best of both worlds

My dual shock 3 and drakes fortune will be here wednesday (combined price less than the cost of drakes fortune locally)

Okay, L2/R2 being treated as buttons instead of axis is driving me nuts. Just tired it in TDU and it's the same thing as GRID.

I may end up buying a 360 controller afterall 'cause using the right stick for throttle/brake is annoying. :(

Yeah, you won't have that problem with the 360 controller.

If you don't like it for some reason, I'll buy it off you. I could always use an extra one :)

It'll probably feel a bit weird after being so used to PS controllers, but once you get used to it, it feels really nice.

I use my 360 controller on my PC (wireless one) and it's great, apart from the triggers appearing as a single axis, and the directional buttons appear as a HAT switch, so they don't really work with many games. Great for Worms 4 though. :D

I played on GT5 Prologue in Currys yesterday on the PS3, I'm very disappointed that the L2 and R2 buttons aren't triggers on that game, really spoils it because the buttons and the right analogue stick are rubbish for throttle and brake. Even saying that, I walked the race on the game. Not bad for my first play on it. :)

It gets a full charge in 5-10 minutes and you can still play when you have it plugged in. ;)

What I meant with "controller quitting" is, the battery is completely dead...
But somebody else mentioned, that thats not the case, so I stand corrected...

The trigger buttons works as one single axle so you can't use them to accelerate and brake at the same time, which shouldn't be necessary but is kinda annoying. But other than that, it's a brilliant gamepad!

I use my 360 controller on my PC (wireless one) and it's great, apart from the triggers appearing as a single axis

That isn't true if the game is designed correctly.

For isntance, here's a screenshot I just took of me playing DiRT with my 360 controller on PC. As you can see, I am applying fiull brake and full throttle simultaneously (the white half circles around the tachometer represent the amount of throttle and brake being applied, in this case the white is full)

http://img256.imageshack.**/img256/8657/16225345fd3.jpg

I haven't tried it yet with GRID, but I'll give it a shot now :)

Last edited:
Yep, just tested GRID and it allows you to apply both throttle and brake at the same time as well, as you can see from this screenshot (notice the full white bars on both edges of the tach)

http://img187.imageshack.**/img187/236/58553346lx7.jpg

Ah good, that means it's not the drivers but rather the game not liking an axis going in two ways at once.

Hopefully TDU will be smart. :D

It does appear as a single axis, much like a set of pedals, but most games do detect it as a pair. It has caused some problems for me though.