Windows + 360 Controller

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
I'm trying to figure out if I should get GRID for my PC (1080p, max settings, no AA) or my PS3 (720p, whatever settings). The really nice thing about the PS3 is the variable throttle -- something lacking from the keyboard (not a big fan of wheels even though I have one).

So it was suggested to me that I get a 360 controller for me PC by Kip or someone here. However, I have some questions. Well, one question really: does it work with all/most games? I don't wanna invest in a 360 controller if it won't even work with most of my racing games.

Anyone have experience with this?

Just plug it in with the play & charge cable.
It installs itself.

I'm using a 360 controller as a universal gamepad on my pc. I'm not entierly happy with it when it comes to racing though. The trigger buttons works as one single axle so you can't use them to accelerate and brake at the same time, which shouldn't be necessary but is kinda annoying. But other than that, it's a brilliant gamepad!

I've had a 360 controller on my PC for well over a year now. It has been great on all the Prince of Persia games, Test Drive Unlimited, the Need For Speed games since Most Wanted, although there was a big problem with lag on ProStreet, but that's partially due to my rig, CMR: Dirt, Race Driver games, Splinter Cell, and more.

With a lot of newer games, especially those that are available on the 360, the controls are automatically mapped to what they are on the 360. The wired controller's wire is pretty long and they released the wireless drivers a while ago.

I'd definitely recommend it. :thumbsup:

I'm using a 360 controller as a universal gamepad on my pc. I'm not entierly happy with it when it comes to racing though. The trigger buttons works as one single axle so you can't use them to accelerate and brake at the same time, which shouldn't be necessary but is kinda annoying. But other than that, it's a brilliant gamepad!
Ooof, that sucks, but I hope it's just the game(s).

I think I'm gonna get the wired one. I've been spoiled by my PS3 (sorry 360 fanboys, the PS3 has ya beat with it's controller setup) and I don't wanna deal with batteries or paying an arm and a leg more for a charger as well as a receiver. Built in battery + charging via USB = win. ^_^

Meh, whenever the battery thats built in quits, your controller is dead, and the 360 folk buys another set of AAs (recharchables, do the charging yourself) for 5 Euros and off you go. Or I'll use some 10 cent / piece batteries that lasted 50 hours of GTA IV. The 360 controller feels more natural to me anyway...

Back to the topic:
AFAIK: If a game is 360 controller compliant, it will get the throttle/brake as separate axis! If its not such a game, it won't unless you use Vista, or a Wired controller with xbcd360 drivers (afaik, they don't work on the Wireless one :-( )

Otherwise the controller is great, and I hope the alternate drivers will someday support the Wireless one..

Meh, whenever the battery thats built in quits, your controller is dead, and the 360 folk buys another set of AAs (recharchables, do the charging yourself) for 5 Euros and off you go. Or I'll use some 10 cent / piece batteries that lasted 50 hours of GTA IV. The 360 controller feels more natural to me anyway...

Back to the topic:
AFAIK: If a game is 360 controller compliant, it will get the throttle/brake as separate axis! If its not such a game, it won't unless you use Vista, or a Wired controller with xbcd360 drivers (afaik, they don't work on the Wireless one :-( )

Otherwise the controller is great, and I hope the alternate drivers will someday support the Wireless one..
I remember something on IGN saying Sony going to sell the batteries or they can be sent in and replaced. I don't know how expensive they would be though.

I recommened it to you in the GRID thread, and I recommend it again here. The 360 controller rocks, specifically for racing games.

I would go for the wired one. Less hassle and cheaper.

I've been spoiled by my PS3 (sorry 360 fanboys, the PS3 has ya beat with it's controller setup)

I'm not a 360 fanboy, and I think you're talking about the wireless setup, but in terms of the actual controller, I disagree. The analog pressure sensitive triggers on the 360 are much better for racing games than what the PS3 controllers offer. The 360 controller is easier to control the exact amount of throttle/brake you want.

Back to the topic:
AFAIK: If a game is 360 controller compliant, it will get the throttle/brake as separate axis!

Yes, this is correct.

Certain games such as DiRT/GRID are designed specifically for the 360 controller, so they allow you to do things you can't do with other controllers, such as control the menu. Before I bought my 360 controller, I was just using some other gamepad, and I was so annoyed that I had to switch to my keyboard every time the race was over.

Last edited:
Bought mine when I realized I couldn't play Test Drive Unlimited too well with the keyboard. Got a Wired one: just Plug & Play. And wirless isn't that necessary, only if you really want to play far from your monitor.

I'm not a 360 fanboy, and I think you're talking about the wireless setup, but in terms of the actual controller, I disagree. The analog pressure sensitive triggers on the 360 are much better for racing games than what the PS3 controllers offer. The 360 controller is easier to control the exact amount of throttle/brake you want.

I'm another one who disagrees with you and agrees with Viper. I certainly feel the 360's controller is weirdly shaped/sized. It just doesn't feel right in my hands, whereas the PS3's does. And I've always said that I find the analogue sticks on the 360 to be in the wrong place. Its just too awkward for me, because it feels like I can't have proper control with the left analogue stick, but with the PS3's I can. I feel (for me at least) that the phrase 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is perfect for the Playstation's controller. People have mocked it for never changing in design since the start, but I believe its because they got it right first time.

Yeah, I think the PS3 feels good in the hands, but it sucks that it uses buttons for throttle/braking instead of the nice analog triggers on the 360. Even the L2/R2 on the PS3 is nowhere near as good as the triggers on the 360 controller, IMO. That is the only advantage of the 360 controller. And also that it works so well with Windows.

Last edited:
Ooof, that sucks, but I hope it's just the game(s).

I think I'm gonna get the wired one. I've been spoiled by my PS3 (sorry 360 fanboys, the PS3 has ya beat with it's controller setup) and I don't wanna deal with batteries or paying an arm and a leg more for a charger as well as a receiver. Built in battery + charging via USB = win. ^_^

Lol no the ps3 controller is a turd sorry :( My mum's bring back a dualshock 3 from the states for me so we'll see how that fairs (it's less than half the price in the US)

Also I hate playing shooters on PS3, the 360's offset analog sticks make it much easier imo.

Meh, whenever the battery thats built in quits, your controller is dead

It gets a full charge in 5-10 minutes and you can still play when you have it plugged in. ;)

So, the PS3 and 360 controllers work with windows? And with any game?

correct, it shows up as a gamepad

I finished tie fighter with mine

It gets a full charge in 5-10 minutes and you can still play when you have it plugged in. ;)

You obviously own a different ps3 controller to me, it takes ages on mine (also wth sony why doesn't the controller turn off watching a movie)

Yeah, I think the PS3 feels good in the hands, but it sucks that it uses buttons for throttle/braking instead of the nice analog triggers on the 360. Even the L2/R2 on the PS3 is nowhere near as good as the triggers on the 360 controller, IMO. That is the only advantage of the 360 controller. And also that it works so well with Windows.

Depends on the game. GT5P is like this (and it drives me nuts), but in GTA4, R2/L2 are the throttle and brake and I love them.

I think he's talking about when the battery fails completely (no longer holds a charge), after long term use (like a couple years or whatever).

But then like you said, you'll at least be able to play with it plugged in at all times.

I think he's talking about when the battery fails completely (no longer holds a charge), after long term use (like a couple years or whatever).

But then like you said, you'll at least be able to play with it plugged in at all times.

as you can with the 360 with the play and charge cable..