Windows 7 Ultimate M3 Pre-beta Build 6801 SCREENSHOTS :)

XP wasn't really all that until SP1/SP2 either.

That's what I've been telling everyone hating vista. XP was a nobody almost until SP2 when it got the attention it deserved.

but anyway.. i just hope Windows 7 does not repeat history and come out the way XP and Vista did. PLEASE MICROSOFT! Release something for once that is FIXED and OPTIMIZED right out of the box! Service Packs should be reserved for new additional tweaks/features and MINOR fixes.

It seems like they've realised that with windows 7. The kernel is a modified and optimised Vista kernel with mostly usability/ workflow enhancements, addressing a lot of users' beefs with Vista.

Will they sell this one as a "full" OS as well? Or will there be a cheap upgrade from vista?

that looks cool. Hopefully this will be a "windows light" version. Because the Vista is such a pig, I am running XP SP3 currently on my 2nd computer and would like to skip Vista altogether..

Hmm, most of those features are a bit gimmicky but I suppose searching the start menu helps reduce memory usage by not needing to display every program. Taskbar seems cool but media player looks difficult to use. I'll have to give this a go on a spare PC at work when I get back in.

I must be the James May of the computer world. I don't like any of the new "improvements"
I still prefer the traditional, old Windows 95 look.

I must be the James May of the computer world. I don't like any of the new "improvements"
I still prefer the traditional, old Windows 95 look.

Well... this may well and be the Cadillac CTS-V you are looking for LOL (as seen in 12x02)

it's funny seeing all the ppl who skipped vista getting all excited over windows 7. as if they made the right choice holding out all this time or something. vista is not a bad OS... and i'm not digging the new start menu on windows 7 either.

i mean i agree it's better than vista, but in the very same way that vista is better than xp. which is not surprising at all.

Last edited:
I'm planning on upgrading to a new computer in the spring and this new version of Windows just might be worth waiting a little longer for, assuming it doesn't get delayed for too long.

Vista isn't that bad. It has it's share of problems, but in general, it works well, even on my slow rig.

You should post in the 1 Browser per post game thread to be the first to post with Windows 7.

I have Windows 7, but I'm just to lazy to install it to try it.

Just installed it, spent like 2 hours messing around with it and finally chuck Vista back on.

If there's a cheap upgrade I'll be getting it. Currently running Vista on 3 computers so it would be nice if 7 had better performance on the same hardware. As long as it works with a 1 GHz Pentium III and 1 GB RAM I'll be happy.

If there's a cheap upgrade I'll be getting it. Currently running Vista on 3 computers so it would be nice if 7 had better performance on the same hardware. As long as it works with a 1 GHz Pentium III and 1 GB RAM I'll be happy.

Dude, I think it's time for an upgrade. :cool:

Seriously, a PIII sounds painful.