Random awesome technology: Boat lifts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random awesome technology: Boat lifts

Screw boat locks. Just use a canal inclined plane or a boat lift!

http://englishrussia.com/?p=1676

There's this awesome on in Scotland too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel

Belguim (tallest in the world at 79 feet):

France:

My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
    There is no replacement for displacement.
    - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
    ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.
    - Motor Trend on the 2006 Dodge Viper Coupe, November 2005

Just, wtf.
    Originally posted by matt2000
    Mmmm huge arse is best.

Comment

From 1899: Germany

Comment

Originally posted by L2D View Post
        Just, wtf.
        I can't help it -- the mechanical engineer in me is fascinated by this kinda stuff. So crazy and awesome.
        My Cars: 2008 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible (summer weekend car), 2001 Ford Mustang GT coupe (winter car & grocery getter)
        - Wolfgang Bernhard, then Chief Operating Officer, Chrysler Group talking about the Dodge Viper SRT-10
        ... I ask Herb Helbig, vehicle synthesis manager for SRT and a member of the original Team Viper development group since day one, if they'd ever thought of adding traction control. "It comes with two," he says, pointing at my feet. "Learn to use them." Got it.

Comment

In the words of Clarkson, I want one in my life!
          "Power corrupts. Lack of power corrupts absolutely."
          -Redliner, ironically

Comment

It is awesome, but I was going to say the same as DanRoM, it's not new. A village near to me had this from 1900 to 1911:

And they're hoping to bring it back (they have been for the last I-don't-know-how-many years though, so not going to get my hopes up).

Comment

Originally posted by Viper007Bond View Post

^i heard that one doesn't use more electricity than a refridgerator. since both sides of the scale weigh as much, it takes little to no power to turn it over

another one in belgium

hellend vlak van Ronquieres

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
                ^i heard that one doesn't use more electricity than a refridgerator. since both sides of the scale weigh as much, it takes little to no power to turn it over
                From the wiki page Viper linked to:

"These caissons always weigh the same whether or not they are carrying their combined capacity of 600 tonnes (590 LT; 660 ST) of floating canal barges as, according to Archimedes' principleelectric motors, which consume just 1.5 kilowatt-hours (5.4 MJ) of energy in four minutes, roughly the same as boiling eight kettles of water."

Comment

Originally posted by matt2000 View Post
                  From the wiki page Viper linked to:

"These caissons always weigh the same whether or not they are carrying their combined capacity of 600 tonnes (590 LT; 660 ST) of floating canal barges as, according to Archimedes' principle, floating objects displace their own weight in water, so when the boat enters, the amount of water leaving the caisson weighs exactly the same as the boat.electric motors, which consume just 1.5 kilowatt-hours (5.4 MJ) of energy in four minutes, roughly the same as boiling eight kettles of water."

can't be that easy...caus the water level in the rivers won't be the same all the time, and the lower the level, the less water will enter the lift...there has to be some monitoring system that adds/spills water to balance them

Comment

Panama Canal?

Comment

Originally posted by matt2000 View Post
                      it's not new
                      I didn't say it was.

Comment

They're extremely ugly

Comment

There's this awesome on in Scotland too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkirk_Wheel

I saw this on the Discovery Channel once. Effing gobsmacked.
                          "Real life is heartbreak and despair, kid!
                          Sometimes you get to the end of the rainbow,
                          and the leprechauns went and booby-trapped it!"

Comment

finally there is a reason for me to visit scotland

Comment

can't be that easy...caus the water level in the rivers won't be the same all the time, and the lower the level, the less water will enter the lift...there has to be some monitoring system that adds/spills water to balance them
                              Sure, but a water pump is a simple matter, trivial when compared to building the thing. Pumping water isn't a hard thing, so actually yes, it basically would be that simple.
                              My car is Greener than your car.

LegendZ live forever.

Comment

I didn't say it was.

Comment

Originally posted by ladora View Post
                                  I saw this on the Discovery Channel once. Effing gobsmacked.
                                  Been to it in person - it's an impressive feat of engineering (and you can see it from ages away). Going on it is hella cool too (there are 'tour' boats every hour or so).

What makes it particularly cool is that it links the two canals between the two biggest cities in Scotland. If you wanted to enjoy life in the slow lane, you could go from one to the other city by boat, which boggles me.
                                  ...I'm meant to put something here?

Comment

Originally posted by teeb View Post
                                    Been to it in person - it's an impressive feat of engineering (and you can see it from ages away). Going on it is hella cool too (there are 'tour' boats every hour or so).

What makes it particularly cool is that it links the two canals between the two biggest cities in Scotland. If you wanted to enjoy life in the slow lane, you could go from one to the other city by boat, which boggles me.
                                    Seen it a few times but never been on it before.

Comment

Both ends will be connected onto rivers via weirs, so the height will remain pretty much bang on constant.

Comment

Here's another gif of that Scottish one,

Shop Finalgear * Finalgear folding@home * Track your Euro bills

Comment

Working...
                                        X