Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

It is not that it is impossible to find one, it the fact that you need to when you take an older phone to them for a repair and they swap the screw. It is a dick move.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2011/01/dont-sacrifice-security-mobile-devices

Don't Sacrifice Security on Mobile Devices
Technical Analysis by Chris Palmer

Increasingly powerful mobile phones are making Internet access and use more convenient than ever. However, the security of mobile operating systems is not as mature or as strong as that of workstation and server operating systems. Platforms like Windows and Ubuntu receive security scrutiny, and regular and frequent updates to resolve security problems. The open source/free software communities and Microsoft are more or less open about security problems and fixes. (For example, here is Ubuntu?s security notices page and Microsoft?s excellent Security Response Center blog.)

By contrast, mobile systems lag far behind the established industry standard for open disclosure about problems and regular patch distribution. For example, Google has never made an announcement to its android-security-announce mailing list, although of course they have released many patches to resolve many security problems, just like any OS vendor. But Android open source releases are made only occasionally and contain security fixes unmarked, in among many other fixes and enhancements.

This is odd for Google; their Chromium OS is a first-class open source project with regular and consistent source updates and a rewards program for friendly hackers who report vulnerabilities.

However, Google?s distribution of Android for ?Google Experience Devices? such as the Nexus One is the best commercial distribution and gets updates the most often (rare as they are). Carriers and OEMs like HTC, Verizon, and others tend to release ?customized? versions of Android with new features added, and sometimes with standard features removed. Users may or may not want the new features and the new features may or may not be secure. Their distributions are sometimes based on old and known-vulnerable versions of Android, and they tend to publish updates rarely ? or never. As a result, the ecosystem of Android devices is out of date, fragmented, and unnecessarily vulnerable to known attacks. This situation is bad for everyone: users, carriers, OEMs, application developers, and Google.

Android is hardly the only mobile security offender. Apple tends to ship patches for terrible bugs very late. For example, iOS 4.2 (shipped in early December 2010) contains fixes for remotely exploitable flaws such as this FreeType bug that were several months old at the time of patch release. To ship important patches so late is below the standard set by Microsoft and Ubuntu, who are usually (though not always) much more timely. (For example, Ubuntu shipped a patch for CVE-2010-2805 in mid-August, more than three months before Apple.)

However, consumers can mitigate their risks by exerting market pressure, and may still have the best chance of doing so with Android phones. Last July, EFF won a rulemaking from the Copyright Office stating that jailbreaking mobile devices is not a violation of the DMCA. Thus, at least for now, it is not a violation of the DMCA to jailbreak your mobile device to install third-party patches or even entire third-party software distributions such as CyanogenMod. (Note: the rulemaking did not affect any other legal barriers, such as your terms of service.) Android?s open source nature makes CyanogenMod possible; don?t expect to see a third-party fork of iOS any time soon.

Enterprise customers, who usually demand at least some security features and response and who crave a competitor to Blackberry, may also create a new market niche for a more secure mobile OS.

Open source, combined with Android?s superior security design, makes Android a very strong mobile platform going forward, in spite of current problems.

Although there is no guarantee that third-party distributors will be more responsive to security problems, and nor is there any guarantee that they will not introduce new security problems, they do have an opportunity to perform better than Apple and Google have so far and to take market share.

Mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, and their associated operating systems, will increase in power and gradually cannibalize the laptop market (just as laptops gradually cannibalized the desktop workstation market). Bluetooth and docking stations will give mobile devices the capability for sustained daily work, while sacrificing none of the mobility. Users should not have to sacrifice what little security they have in the move to mobile platforms. EFF urges users to exert some market discipline on mobile device vendors, and encourages developers to hack on third-party Android distributions. Mobile platforms are the future of computing. Let's vote with our wallets and tell mobile vendors why we care about security.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I briefly worked at Google on Android framework security, worked for Google as a contractor with iSEC Partners, and was offered a job by 3LM.

I really want a new phone, but want better support than that.

Last edited:
Do any of you guys sometimes have this urge to sell and replace all your tech at once? Just for the fun of having something different?

Do any of you guys sometimes have this urge to sell and replace all your tech at once? Just for the fun of having something different?
Heavens, no! If I did that, I'd be busy for weeks trying to figure out how everything works.

Always. I want new things always.

Always. I want new things always.

Same, I want a iMac (even though I have no use for one) a new phone, a new laptop (even though my 4.5 year old one works fine) :p It's all a part of being a techie i guess.

I have that sort of screwdriver in 3 sizes. :lol:

So I got into an slight disagreement today about technology in the bedroom. My friend thinks that it should be allowed and it's fine as it can help with going to sleep, however I've always thought that technology is a distraction in the bedroom, both from sleeping and "other things." It's pretty hard to change a human habit of several thousand years of only being able to sleep in total darkness and silence.

There's a few articles here and here laying out some reasonable arguments on how technology affects your sleep and bedroom. I've tried to make a personal rule to keep as much technology out of the bedroom as possible, or at least tech that is up to a certain level of complexity (ie. laptops, TVs, etc.), unless it's a specific device that does only one thing and does it well (ie. Kindle for books). I'm still on the fence about the smartphone, on one hand it's a handy (and much more versatile) replacement for your alarm clock, on the other it's pretty much a mini-computer by itself that can also lead to tons of distraction (altho it can also be a handy e-reader as well).

So what's your opinion?

Last edited:
So I got into an slight disagreement today about technology in the bedroom. My friend thinks that it should be allowed and it's fine as it can help with going to sleep, however I've always thought that technology is a distraction in the bedroom, both from sleeping and "other things." It's pretty hard to change a human habit of several thousand years of only being able to sleep in total darkness and silence.

There's a few articles here and here laying out some reasonable arguments on how technology affects your sleep and bedroom. I've tried to make a personal rule to keep as much technology out of the bedroom as possible, or at least tech that is up to a certain level of complexity (ie. laptops, TVs, etc.), unless it's a specific device that does only one thing and does it well (ie. Kindle for books). I'm still on the fence about the smartphone, on one hand it's a handy (and much more versatile) replacement for your alarm clock, on the other it's pretty much a mini-computer by itself that can also lead to tons of distraction (altho it can also be a handy e-reader as well).

So what's your opinion?

For the past 8 years, I've mostly lived in places where my bedroom was at the same time my work area - 5 years in a boarding school, and almost 3 years in a small flat of my own now. For most of this time, I've used a mobile phone as my alarm clock, thus always having it next to me, and my computer has never been further than 4 or 5 meters from my bed. In my flat, I have a small nettop running 24/7 as a homeserver, and even it doesn't disturb my sleep.

In fact, there is only one thing that I can't possibly sleep in one room with, and that's ticking clocks. Everything else is fine.

The first article makes a good point though, about using light-emitting displays (basically everything with a screen except for eInk-based ebook readers) before sleep. But it's not like you can't do it at all. Important thing is to know to adjust screen brightness to match the surroundings, and especially when reading from a screen, to keep it as dimmed as possible while still being comfortable. Also, inverting the color scheme is useful in many cases, too - I read a lot before sleep using my smartphone as a reader, and having it display text in white on black background is much more comfortable, putting less stress on the eyes (and in the case of an AMOLED screen, conserving the battery as well).

Well I have never slept well so tech doesn't seem to have any more effect on me than without it. :lol:
What does bother me is:
-things with bright lights indicating they are plugged in, my tv has one, my video game consoles do, the clock on my cable box is bright enough to light up the immediate area around it, but if it's a dull light (ex: my WD external) it doesn't bother me as much. It seems to be a "Can I see this out of the corner of my eye and have it distract me" sort of thing. Probably the worst is my laptop on sleep because it PULSES. Movement + bright light = lots of distraction to me, so I throw like a sock over the light or something before I go to bed.
-things that make inconsistent noises. This is less likely to be electronic things and more likely to be like, my window shade rattling. If it is consistent like a fan it's fine, I sleep with a fan/ac on to drown out various house creeks for that reason, so a not active electronic won't keep me up in that sense as the loudest thing with them is usually another fan.

Oh, the articles that say a kindle will let you sleep and an ipad won't is bullshit. It's all about how active your brain is. If you are reading a book you enjoy it doesn't matter if it is on a laptop or made of paper because you will be kept up by the story. I have not slept because I wanted to finish a book plenty of times in my life and they were ALL real books made of paper.

On that note, the number one thing that will keep me up? Stress. Anything from "did I turn off the downstairs light" to "I need to make an emergency doctor appointment tomorrow, and take the car to the shop, do I know where I need to be tomorrow morning? Is that paper due today or thursday?" is worse than any possible electronic thing that could ever be invented. Lack of sleep in modern times is not due to more toys, it's due to more STRESS.

I usually use paper so I can still tell if the light is on, it's just not bright and distracting that way. There is a piece of semitransparant fabric over the cable box clock so I can see the time even if the lights are on but my laptop gets tossed around too much so tape would just come off so I just use whatever is handy.

I just found out that my Zune dock's remote can also control video playback on my Xbox. Kinda pointless but yet pretty cool. If nothing else it saves me the trouble of turning on the Xbox controller just to pause or fast forward a video. I was kinda freaked out when I discovered this new ability because at first I thought my Xbox was going crazy and flipping thru menus on its own when I was sorting through music on the Zune. :?

woot, fixed my MX1000's sporadic middle click, damn thing was getting on my nerves as i couldnt count on it in any game, so i opened it up, careful not to ruin the nice teflon pads on it, and cleaned it out thoroughly with a powerful air blower and a cloth, now works fine \o/

Why does the Windows update feel the need to fuck with my settings? Also Logitech setpoint is quite possibly the work of the devil himself.

Last edited:
Why does the Windows update feel the need to fuck with my settings? Also Logitech setpoint is quite possibly the work of the devil himself.

You are right on that. Windows update: What I hate is that it doesn't seem to let me shut down without installing the updates it's ready to install. I'm in a hurry, damnit! I just want to shut you down so I can unplug you and put you away! My lunch is over! I need to get back to work...what?! 1 of 3 updates? Oh, ffs!

The USB thing on the Uverse box does nothing (unless they updated it on newer boxes) other than charge what you plug into it.. And I don't see why pluging another router into the Uverse router wouldn't work.

I'm in need for a reliable and simple program/plug-in for recording internet radio streams in Windows Media Player/Winamp.

Anyone have an idea?