Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I know it's not really fair to blame all video card problems on chipset manufactures, but I have had far more trouble with ATI video cards than Nvidia.

i think that's been discussed in here somewhere, but i'm not going to search for it! :p i've never had any trouble with either amd/ati or nvidia, except my nvidia frying itself in the laptop (but that was common with the 8600M series).

tough break jake, any idea what changed recently? you did have those two 6970s playing nice with each other for a rather long time, so them not getting along now is a bit weird :S

I'm fairly sure this was down to some combination of Crossfire and drivers. From my experience, my friends with SLI have had pretty much exactly the same issues I have had with Crossfire. (one friend with SLI 460s, one with SLI 560TIs.)
Yeah dual cards can be strange. I got a friend with an Alienware laptop with SLI cards, for one his Aero would NOT start on Win7 until I reinstalled the driver for two it had to calibrate SLI or something because otherwise his whites were all neon yellow...

i think that's been discussed in here somewhere, but i'm not going to search for it! :p i've never had any trouble with either amd/ati or nvidia, except my nvidia frying itself in the laptop (but that was common with the 8600M series).

tough break jake, any idea what changed recently? you did have those two 6970s playing nice with each other for a rather long time, so them not getting along now is a bit weird :S

That was when Shawn(I think) was adamant about never buying another Nvidia product again because he had bought one of the ones that had the solder flow problem several years back.

They've been playing nice for awhile, although I did have irregular bluescreens (ATI driver related) that I fixed with a beta version of Catalyst. I just updated to the newest Catalyst (1/25), and I'm going to put the second 6970 back in tomorrow.

Yeah dual cards can be strange. I got a friend with an Alienware laptop with SLI cards, for one his Aero would NOT start on Win7 until I reinstalled the driver for two it had to calibrate SLI or something because otherwise his whites were all neon yellow...

There are so many hillarious little problems I have that I cannot ever recommend dual cards to ANYONE. So much fiddling with settings, trying to fix problems, beta/hacked drivers, etc. It's exactly the same way with Eyefinity. Dealing with both Eyefinity and Crossfire is infuriating at times.

That was when Shawn(I think) was adamant about never buying another Nvidia product again because he had bought one of the ones that had the solder flow problem several years back.

You may be referring to me. I am adamant about never buying another Nvidia product again because I bought a 9800GTX, which was touted as a worthy successor to a 8800GTX, and was in fact the same card w/ a die shrink. I dumped it and bought a 4870 and have never looked back. Previously I had a GeForce4, 6800, and 7900GTKO.

Yeah, I just took out my dual cards. Part of the problem was SLI- I didn't get any blue screens, but I also had problems with the Motherboard and the cards... They were too old for the motherboard I guess and it didn't like that. I put in a single 550Ti FPB and it's working much better than the 2x 260s ever did so I have no complaints. It was just odd and annoying. None of the drivers would resolve the problem of the computer locking up after a couple of hours of gameplay, especially on fullscreen. Now I can play the games I wanted to again like Killing Floor so it works out. Still though, very odd.

Running my dual GTX560Tis have been a complete pain in the ass since I've gotten them. I've seriously considered just replacing them with a single card many times, and most recently have started looking at the Radeon 7970s. But of course, common sense prevailed and I figured I would just deal with the great amount of problems that I encounter.

I have now joined the multi-monitor crowd. I haven't even taken advantage of it yet, and I can already see it's advantages...

So 7950 is out, and it's pretty sweet. Except for the price, which is silly and higher than the 7970 sells for. I want Kepler.

You can make them yourself! Clicky

You got me all excited then, I even managed to push the horrible thoughts of precision soldering out of my mind.

I'd like one too, although I have no clue what I'd do with it.

Ok, this laptop needs to be put out the pasture. 4 years of constantly being used, rare time for being off has taken it's toll. Wireless is flaking out, headphone jack is dying, case is cracking, battery lasts an hour, optical drive is failing, I've been through 3 hard drives... Time to say good bye. But not yet! I will probably get a new one after vacation in June. After all the auto repair gets done...

I have a random question. Why is the act of deleting files much faster than say, reading or writing file? Is it because said files don't have to travel over the slower bus to a different location versus, deleting the files happens inside the drive?

I have a random question. Why is the act of deleting files much faster than say, reading or writing file? Is it because said files don't have to travel over the slower bus to a different location versus, deleting the files happens inside the drive?

the files are not overwritten with all zeros, only their entries in the table that holds the "contents of your harddrive" gets erased...

... or something along those lines anyway! :?

that's why restoring deleted files with the proper program is actually fairly easy :dunno:

Because often times they're not actually touched, the file system is just told to ignore them. This is how a 'quick format' works, and is why it's not very effective for hiding data from people who know what they are doing.

I think.

Because often times they're not actually touched, the file system is just told to ignore them. This is how a 'quick format' works, and is why it's not very effective for hiding data from people who know what they are doing.

I think.
You and eizbaer are correct, normal file deletion process on magnetic media is declare space used by the files as free so there is no actual deletion going on. AFAIK flash media requires a deletion before the space is actually empty, this usually doesn't take place right away but rather is taken care off by the TRIM function in the background (otherwise you'd be sitting there waiting for the operation to finish).

I think.

Except once the space is marked 'free' the next write could overwrite it.