Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Step 1: don't buy graphics cards based on how much memory they have.
Step 2: buy a 4870 if you can find one for 100?, a 4850 if you can't.

Step 3: Do that ^

Once you have 512 MB of memory, the actual power of the graphics card matters way more than the amount of vram.

EDIT: Fedora's up and running again, 2.5 GB of updates to download then I will attack ndiswrapper :p

Thank you for the advice, I can't find a 4870 for anywhere near ?100 so I'll settle for a 4850 :) should be a whole lot better then my curent 2400 :p

4850 is a great card for the money. I couldn't resist when I found a $155 1GB 4890 though :p

Just make sure you have a half-decent power supply and a motherboard with PCI-e if that wasn't obvious.

Speaking of GPUs, ATI's new 5800 series will be awesome.

4850 is a great card for the money. I couldn't resist when I found a $155 1GB 4890 though :p

Just make sure you have a half-decent power supply and a motherboard with PCI-e if that wasn't obvious.

Where the hell did you find that deal?

Bleh tbh it doesn't make sense for me to get a 4890 as I already have a 4870 512MB... I just need to dig up a second one and crossfire them.

Combination of newegg sale, coupon code, and MIR. Found it on http://www.techdeals.net/, turned out to be a pretty useful site.

And a note to anyone buying on newegg: search google for coupon codes, I also got 10% off the motherboard in the same purchase!

In other news, Linux is fully functioning again, now to image the drive and try another method of installing ATI drivers that hopefully won't bork the whole thing.

I hate Flash.

Its the worst.

How did something so shitty get so popular?

It needs to die.

I hate Flash.

Its the worst.

How did something so shitty get so popular?

It needs to die.

On a similar note, I hate adobe's pdf reader, why does it need to take up 203mb? I just want to view and maybe print the damn things, nothing more. Although the firefox plugin is nice.

I do wish "Print to PDF" was a standard Windows feature...I've had a few tools to do that, but they were buggy.

Once I found Foxit I abandoned Adobe Reader and never looked back.

As far as flash, I completely agree from an end-user standpoint, but there really aren't any better alternatives. From a programming standpoint, it's a neat combination of drawing and coding that works out pretty well.

EDIT: Best way to back up a hard drive? I want to try installing the ATI drivers from the repository this time (rather than downloading from ATI's website), but since everything crashed and burned last time, I would like to be able to revert it just in case. Bear in mind that I am currently booting from this drive, if that matters (it has GRUB on it), so I would need to be able to keep that intact.

Last edited:
Pfft. My dad was flicking breakers while installing new outlets in the dining room and kitchen. Of course, no matter how many times he has to flick breakers without knowing what he's doing he'll never bother to label them properly so.... yeah, he turned off the power to the desktop and corrupted the master boot record. Windows sucks. Whatevs, it's always an easy fix (meaning, yes, it's not the first time I've had a fuxed MBR, though it was the first time on Vista, and the Vista repair tools are retarded and force you to run a stupid auto thing that may or may not do something and doesn't actually tell you if it did anything, just tells you to restart and if windows still doesn't start then it didn't fix it - oh wow, real helpful)

Pfft. My dad was flicking breakers while installing new outlets in the dining room and kitchen. Of course, no matter how many times he has to flick breakers without knowing what he's doing he'll never bother to label them properly so.... yeah, he turned off the power to the desktop and corrupted the master boot record. Windows sucks......

i suggest UPS to your pc, it has enough of umph for delicate "hibernate" or shutdown.

i have 2 in my home, 1 for mom's pc with 20min batterytime, 1 for my "home server" with 50 min batterytime with modem, router, my laptop (i need different cable for my home use so my laptop could be shielded from bad electricity :D .

EDIT: Best way to back up a hard drive? I want to try installing the ATI drivers from the repository this time (rather than downloading from ATI's website), but since everything crashed and burned last time, I would like to be able to revert it just in case. Bear in mind that I am currently booting from this drive, if that matters (it has GRUB on it), so I would need to be able to keep that intact.

Copy the partition to an external HDD using Gparted. It'll preserve the UUID and everything, so if things go south, you can just copy it back to where it was.

i suggest UPS to your pc, it has enough of umph for delicate "hibernate" or shutdown.

Yeah, I love mine. It lasts up to 4+ hours and fits inside of my computer. It's great! :D

Hmmmmm, Core i7 920 upgrade for my PC is down to only 535 eur.... I am getting REALLY tempted.

If I were you, I'd get the new i7 860. Same price, more power. In fact, I am probably going to get it as a part of a new PC assembly in about two weeks.

I think that, looking at the purposes of said machine (little bit of gaming, lots of testing with multiple VMs), that I'd rate a triple channel memory controller and a faster system bus over a few more mhzs.