Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I was going to give them credit for putting lots of ports in, but if they hadn't covered the ports on the machine itself over by the design of their dock then they wouldn't be needed...

As I'm highly suspicious of Apple I'd say they've done that to make the dock seem better value for money. We use Dell Latitude docks at work that have 4 USB ports while still allowing the 3 on the laptop to be used.
New Latitude dock is a complete and utter piece of shit and should be destroyed along with the manufacturer. You gotta keep in mind that Apple doesn't actually make a dockable computer like other manufacturers, as in with a proprietary port on the bottom, so any dock that wants to be a drop in (like above) basically has to obscure the side ports, because thats where power is. Sure you COULD make a cut out for the side ports but it's somewhat unnecessary when there are 8 on the back.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the stand up dock thing is silly and weird. I can see a case if you need the space but I'd much rather use a traditional docking station.
Why? With a laptop completely flat down you have no usable space where the laptop is (unless you get some sort of stand that laptop can slide under/into). Also traditional docking stations tend to be dual use, they are both a port replicator (as in you still use laptop's built in screen/kbd/mouse and plug in some externals) and a receptacle that turns your laptop into a desktop. The stand up dock is really meant only for the latter, it looks cleaner and in case of the older style MBs it actually works very well since all the ports are on one side.*

*For those who don't know the Air and the new retina display Macs put ports on both sides since they have no optical drive.

New Latitude dock is a complete and utter piece of shit and should be destroyed along with the manufacturer. You gotta keep in mind that Apple doesn't actually make a dockable computer like other manufacturers, as in with a proprietary port on the bottom, so any dock that wants to be a drop in (like above) basically has to obscure the side ports, because thats where power is. Sure you COULD make a cut out for the side ports but it's somewhat unnecessary when there are 8 on the back.

- - - Updated - - -

Why? With a laptop completely flat down you have no usable space where the laptop is (unless you get some sort of stand that laptop can slide under/into). Also traditional docking stations tend to be dual use, they are both a port replicator (as in you still use laptop's built in screen/kbd/mouse and plug in some externals) and a receptacle that turns your laptop into a desktop. The stand up dock is really meant only for the latter, it looks cleaner and in case of the older style MBs it actually works very well since all the ports are on one side.*

*For those who don't know the Air and the new retina display Macs put ports on both sides since they have no optical drive.

I'd wan't to be able to use the laptop's display, can't do that with a stand up dock.

I'd wan't to be able to use the laptop's display, can't do that with a stand up dock.
To each their own but I honestly don't see the point in using laptop's internal display if you are going to dock it, you can get much better displays that the laptop would drive. Not to mention better keyboards/mice.

Yesterday went over to my friend's house for some car and networking work, car work was for my car networking was for his house. He has an old FiOS router the one that only has 802.11b/g radio and his garage is made out of cinder blocks so wi-fi in the garage is basically non-existant. That is not ideal given that he just recently purchased a wireless speaker AND we have a legitimate need to actually look stuff up when working on cars. So we made a hole in his wall (it was fun) and ran the cable out to the garage (it's nice to have a 1,000 foot spool on hand) to plug in a small WAP. Even better was that I actually made the cables correctly first time around (usually I make at least one mistake). So now we get to enjoy wonders of modern technology while working on cars, w00t!

Last edited:
The idea is to use the laptop display in combination with the docked display for dual monitors. That's how I have always used a dock.

Agreed. When I first started, I used the laptop as my 2nd screen, but my 24" single monitor on a fully-adjustable arm was actually more comfortable to use on it's own than the 2nd, smaller, oddly positioned display on the laptop.

Anyone use a Logitech Harmony remote? I really like the 650.

Anyone use a Logitech Harmony remote? I really like the 650.

They are pretty awesome. I recently replaced my older one (don't remember the model) with it because the USB port came off on the older one so I couldn't program it again. Then again it lasted 4-5 years and was a refurb when I bought it. I actually have a more basic model as well for my other TV (doesn't have programmable activity buttons).

I want a 4770k... but I have literally no use for it whatsoever.

I want a 4770k... but I have literally no use for it whatsoever.

That shouldn't stop you, you need to take up 3D modelling purely for the rendering.

Excuse me for being behind the times but I found out today that the real, genuine, proper Thermaltake Level 10 case exists and can be bought. Up until now I had only seen the GT on sale and thought that the original was just a concept. I want one, I really want one. It's such a nice bit of design and engineering.

However, it's ?900. I certainly can't justify it and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to afford it any time soon.

That shouldn't stop you, you need to take up 3D modelling purely for the rendering.

Excuse me for being behind the times but I found out today that the real, genuine, proper Thermaltake Level 10 case exists and can be bought. Up until now I had only seen the GT on sale and thought that the original was just a concept. I want one, I really want one. It's such a nice bit of design and engineering.

However, it's ?900. I certainly can't justify it and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to afford it any time soon.

... My 3960 would crush the 4770 for rendering.

Well if you already have a higher powered CPU then you would indeed have no use for it and I don't see any reason why you would want it...

More money than sense?

Jake, you're 21, you own a very new car and, you live on your own? You're not telling us everything.

I could have moved out at 21 and been in the same situation but my parents are letting me stay until I finish school (online classes), so I can put money towards that instead of rent. I paid for my car myself and owe no money on it :dunno:

Flareside, pleeeeeeeeeassee... he got a 2yr old (or if US modelyear probably 3yr old) Ford Fusion V6. That thing has probably a marketvalue of around 500 bucks :D

^eh, true. And, the bigger factor is, lower cost living. Why do I live where I do? Oh right... Job. :|

Random question: why does it take roughly 10 minutes from telling a windows xp desktop to bring up the "Stand By Shut Down Restart" window?

^eh, true. And, the bigger factor is, lower cost living. Why do I live where I do? Oh right... Job. :|

Random question: why does it take roughly 10 minutes from telling a windows xp desktop to bring up the "Stand By Shut Down Restart" window?

The computer you're doing it on sucks. It pops up near instantly on my families shitty XPS 400 desktop with only 1 GB of ram.

The computer you're doing it on sucks. It pops up near instantly on my families shitty XPS 400 desktop with only 1 GB of ram.

It's a Lenovo Thinkcentre M52. Core 2 duo with 2GB of memory. I got rid of all the trial and crapware as those were calling other hang ups. There's three other machines at the office all bought at the same time, only this one does it. Everything else is snappy.