Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

To my knowledge all 4K TVs out now are either 60Hz or 120Hz. Anything else is some weird interpolated pseudo-higher rate.

Oh, I should also note your cabling may be an issue to. HDMI 2.0 doesn't do 4K over 60Hz, and I believe you need dual displayport cables to do 120Hz 4k signals on the current standards, so you need to make sure your videocard and whatever panel you end up going with can actually handle that.

Thanks, will have to look in to it. I've never had an issue with 60Hz (or 59Hz to be more accurate) so that would save a lot of hassle. I certainly don't want to go below that.

The only one i know atm that goes higher then 60Hz is the Acer Predator X34 that can get 90+ Hz.

Cons:
- 21:9
- curved
- 34"
- Price

FTFY :p

I actually have the vertical space to use a 16:9, it would fill the entire space but that's just more awesome. :D

My Rasp Zero, is going to be used for retropie and I think Kodi.
Now, when I pirate films on my PC I always use peerblock (whether this is a way to plant spyware and turn my PC into a secret bitcoin farm is irrelevant) I stream TV shows on my PC. Without peerblock.

I'm not paying for a VPN, but I'll be fine just movie streaming on Kodi right? In theory anyway.

I've had a 34" 21:9 for about a year or so now and don't think I could have any other kind of monitor.

What is the best way to build a multi-system emulator with a very streamlined user experience? Like...something you can navigate and change systems and load ROMs within by using the controller...something that acts like one of those multi-game arcade systems...

I've been just using emulators on my laptop, but there's always that experience disconnect when I have to go to a windows desktop and navigate through the file systems to load ROMS with a mouse or something...

Primarily looking for NES, GB, SNES, Genesis and Maaaybe N64. I mean...should I just get a WiiU?

It's called a frontend.
Hyperspin and MaLa are a couple that, while primarily designed for MAME cabinets, are pretty good for handling console emulators as well.

WiiU is fantastic for emulation, but it runs through the Wii. Which are ten a penny.

It's called a frontend.
Hyperspin and MaLa are a couple that, while primarily designed for MAME cabinets, are pretty good for handling console emulators as well.

Another angle of attack might be something like Joy2Key, so you could use the controller to navigate windows. Set up a folder with shortcuts to emulators or ROMs associated with emulators.

Pi arriving tomorrow. ?14 with adaptors and case.
16gb micro sd ?5
WiFi dongle ?7.50
Wireless keyboard ?8.33

Hub old one which may work, adaptor old phone one. I could have bought a gaming rig for the same price of this ?4 thing.

I'm still completely puzzled at what a Pi is and why I would want one.
Don't all modern TVs have some sort of streaming app?
Couldn't you just get a chromecast and do the same thing?

=> genuinely doesn't know
=> still has his 2004 CRT tv because it won't break

Don't all modern TVs have some sort of streaming app?
Couldn't you just get a chromecast and do the same thing?

=> genuinely doesn't know
=> still has his 2004 CRT tv because it won't break

I have a chromecast and it gets used for Netflix/Youtube.
I wanted a simple emulation machine (WiiU is annoying to use) This should run everything upto 16bit, 32 bit is a bit slow. All joypads work with it. (WiiU is proprietary)

I'm also gonna throw Kodi on there too for streaming questionable movies, it runs fine at 1080p.
p.s. I want this because it runs at something stupid, I think its 0.5-0.7 watts /140ma Which I believe is about ?3 a year to run 24/7 365. :blink:

If this runs fine, I can throw it behind the TV. It's silent and I can just use my phone as a remote. (Kodi/XBMC/whatever its called this week) People use Pi's for pretty much everything, from making robots to home automation etc.

How are those cons? I want all of that.

Cute that you want all those things. But Matt specificly asked for an 40" TV/Flat - screen solution. I just listed the cons compared to that :rolleyes:

You can do lots and lots of things with a Pi that doesn't involve hooking it up to a TV, you know.

I've got one that sends me an e-mail if the temperature in the boiler at work drops below X degrees.

Got a Project Fi invite less than 24 hours after requesting it. I'm hoping to be able to drop my $145 AT&T bill (Family plan with my parents. They would move onto their own family plan)

Got a Project Fi invite less than 24 hours after requesting it. I'm hoping to be able to drop my $145 AT&T bill (Family plan with my parents. They would move onto their own family plan)

I've been thinking about Fi, Ting, et'al.

On one hand, right now I pay 55 bucks a month (including taxes and fees) for 10 GB of data and unlimited US/international texting and minutes with Cricket (AT&T). Tethering is technically not allowed but works fine for me.

On the other hand, I'm positive that I don't use more than maybe 2 or 3 GB tops per billing cycle.

I ran the Project Fi calculator and it comes out as a wash - 40 compared to 55 but then you compare fees. Plus I'd have to buy a new phone....

What about Ting?

Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I'd like to buy a letter...

Pat, I'd like to solve it: "Tingle"