Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Micro USB cable to end all cables.

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=627

cpu01c-34right.jpg

cpu01-1.jpg

cpu01-2.jpg

Reversible USB A to reversible USB micro B. Just announced at CES 2016, should be available in about a month. And yes, it comes in Lightning form too.

What if the ports on your machine are close, joined together or have a surround? There's nowhere for the other side of the USB A plug to go.

So, what USB-C should have been, instead of breaking compatibility.
It's not about breaking compatibility, it's about evolving the standard. A 5 pin micro USB cable just can't handle 10 gbps, 100W@20V AND display port at the same time. You need a new cable and new connector for that.

What if the ports on your machine are close, joined together or have a surround? There's nowhere for the other side of the USB A plug to go.
What do you mean? The shape is no different to the old USB type A.

Matt2000: From your post about the resolution mistake I assume that you just plug and play. I'd recommend going through the settings of the TV to lock everything down to your specific use case (quite different than the use case the TV makers thought of when they did the factory settings). So, disable scaling (enable "pixel perfect" / 1:1 scaling mode), enable "PC mode" if there is one (to reduce overhead and ensure minimal latency), disable ALL image "enhancement" filters like super contrast, auto brightness, sharpening, and the like. Finally, calibrate the gamma, brightness and contrast settings just as you would on a regular PC monitor. Relatively simple steps to bring it closer to a dedicated PC monitor experience but bigger.

I've adjusted all of the settings to get the best out of PC mode, it's just that Windows thinks the native resolution is 1920x1080 and I just picked the highest resolution there was instead of stopping to check :D

What do you mean? The shape is no different to the old USB type A.

Sorry, I obviously haven't looked at it close enough, for some reason I thought it was double height or something. :think:

Upgrading to a new PC:

AsusZ170 Deluxe
Intel Core i7-6700
Kingston Technology HyperX FURY 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 Kit of 4
Western Digital Red 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s, Serial ATA III, 1000 GB
Samsung 500GB 850 EVO
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2, 750W

Now, can this setup run a 4k monitor on 60Hz (on on-board graphics)? Or would I need a graphics card? And does Photoshop need a graphics card to run the best that it can, or will the on-board do its job?

You should be fine, though I'm pretty sure it would be way better with a dedicated GPU. You can pick up a 4GB 380 for around 200? nowadays.

I would rather invest now in a good 4K monitor, and then later on in a dedicated graphics card if it comes to that. Cause I dont game anymore, I use it mostly for photo editing and office/multimedia stuff.

Could you recoment something from nVidia? 950, 960?

I would rather invest now in a good 4K monitor, and then later on in a dedicated graphics card if it comes to that. Cause I dont game anymore, I use it mostly for photo editing and office/multimedia stuff.

Could you recoment something from nVidia? 950, 960?

Worth noting unless you have Photoshop CC running it on a 4k monitor is a royal pain because the interface does not scale and everything is *tiny*.

Worth noting unless you have Photoshop CC running it on a 4k monitor is a royal pain because the interface does not scale and everything is *tiny*.

Is there a setting to turn that on in CC? Mine is still tiny despite having windows set to 150%. :dunno:

Is there a setting to turn that on in CC? Mine is still tiny despite having windows set to 150%. :dunno:

I think it's under experimental options in the preferences, or it was last time I went looking for a fix for my CS6 and didn't find anything else

I think it's under experimental options in the preferences, or it was last time I went looking for a fix for my CS6 and didn't find anything else

Arses, I use 14.2 and it isn't in there. Oh well, maybe time for me to get the Photography CC pack and CC 2015 instead of the totally legitimate version I use now.

My daughter has a 2005 Mazda 5 with a Ford 1.8 engine. It has recently decided to drop/burn (not sure) oil at an alarming rate (mor than 2 litres per week - low milage too). Anyone got any ideas?

Yeah, haven't considered that till you said it . . . Now I'm questioning the 4k monitor upgrade . . .

But I just found this too :

So I've been watching videos of laser cleaning and it's bloody impressive. This video is demonstrating what is claimed to be a 20W unit:

Now looking at specs of these machines most specify a 1064nm laser, which can be bought in diode form:

http://www.bonanzamarket.co.uk/listings/C-mount-Package-1000mW-1W-1064nm-Infrared-IR-Laser-Lazer-Diode-LD-for-DPSS-Green/279252997?gpid=18283950120&gpkwd=&goog_pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA_MK0BRDQsf_bsZS-_OIBEiQADPf--g7tEWpEXee0R-Uh36KK64H2hjZj0OG2tFE7H2u5pYUaAv4l8P8HAQ

Any reason why one of those diodes shouldn't work at 5% of the power? Sure it'll be slow but I think it's worth investing the time if it works.

Yeah, haven't considered that till you said it . . . Now I'm questioning the 4k monitor upgrade . . .

But I just found this too :

Did not work for me, as soon as I add that registry entry I get an error that the system cannot find the specified file any time I try to open Photoshop. Seems from the comments that lots of others have the same issue, even after trying other suggestions in the comments.

For reference, here's the tiny 4K UI:

Still usable if you're sitting close and can see the icons, but not friendly to use regardless.

It's a photo of Debbie Harry, from Blondie, taken by the group's guitarist Christ Stein sometime in the 70s I believe.