Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

I mean, it could be, but while 1GB was standard, two was an option.

The "2" in the Memory section has a suspicious border around it and seems to be a bit misaligned. Not 100% sure due to photo quality.

aoFAtRH.png

Pretty much what I was thinking.

I've been having some glitches even since I upgraded my desktop at work to Windows 10. I finally found some time and motivation to try to update some drivers, at which point the Dell site told me that they aren't developing drivers for my ~3 year old Optiplex anymore. So why the fuck are you peddling the update then if you don't want to actually support it? Don't tell me Microsoft are the ones peddling the update, because I bought the computer from Dell.

There were plenty of updates available anyway, and it beats me why these can't just install automatically through Windows Update. That's what it's there for, isn't it?

Either way, I was reminded, again, why I think Apple stuff is worth the price. My oldest Mac is five years old now and it runs the newest versions of everything with no issues. Been switched on since the day I unboxed it, zero issues so far. Only thing I've ever had to do was add more RAM.

Thanks for allowing me to rant. I'll go hide now while you'll tell me why I'm wrong and why Apple sucks. :p

Last edited:
Unless you have a iPhone 4s from 2011, for which there is a class action suit due to how poorly the newest OS makes the phones run.

Is there anything that the US doesn't have a class action suit for?

Unless you have a iPhone 4s from 2011, for which there is a class action suit due to how poorly the newest OS makes the phones run.

Mindboggling. The alternative was probably not being able to install the update at all. Would that have been preferable?

The whole update, or just security updates? The problem really is that these tech companies that make OS abandon it far to soon. That is part of the whole throw the old out to buy the newest version though.

It's a 5 year old cell phone, who cares? As long as it does the phone things, why would you need the latest and greatest phone os?

In their eyes it did interfere with their otherwise-functional phones. An update was released touting performance improvements, and didn't mention potential issues with versions older than iPhone5, which caused their phones to perform worse than before the update, and that Apple doesn't have a clear path to downgrade/restore to a previous version. I guess they would equate it to BMW telling folks to come in for an infotainment update, didn't tell owners of certain models that it wasn't "meant" for them, but allowed for the update anyway, which then made the whole system slower, buggy, and sometimes non-responsive.

.Apple today was hit with a class action lawsuit seeking over $5 million in damages for deceptive trade practices and false advertising, as noted by AppleInsider). Plaintiff Chaim Lerman says he and other iPhone 4s owners became unable to use their devices after upgrading to iOS 9 as the update "significantly slowed down" their iPhones and "interfered with the normal usage of their phones."

Apple's advertising, the plaintiffs allege, does not mention the potential of slowed performance for iPhone 4s users, instead focusing on performance improvements. The lawsuit points towards Apple's iOS 9 website, which says the update brings "faster performance, improved security, convenient updates, and longer battery life." The plaintiffs argue that Apple must have known about the iPhone 4s' slower performance from internal testing or other means and did not warn users about potential headaches in their advertising.

Last edited:
I've been having some glitches even since I upgraded my desktop at work to Windows 10. I finally found some time and motivation to try to update some drivers, at which point the Dell site told me that they aren't developing drivers for my ~3 year old Optiplex anymore. So why the fuck are you peddling the update then if you don't want to actually support it? Don't tell me Microsoft are the ones peddling the update, because I bought the computer from Dell.

There were plenty of updates available anyway, and it beats me why these can't just install automatically through Windows Update. That's what it's there for, isn't it?

Either way, I was reminded, again, why I think Apple stuff is worth the price. My oldest Mac is five years old now and it runs the newest versions of everything with no issues. Been switched on since the day I unboxed it, zero issues so far. Only thing I've ever had to do was add more RAM.

Thanks for allowing me to rant. I'll go hide now while you'll tell me why I'm wrong and why Apple sucks. :p
Actually...Microsoft is pushing the update, not the PC OEM.

Does it make this an ideal situation? Of course not, but given the OEM model Microsoft let themselves get into (and is trying to disrupt with Surface) its unfortunately a thing that has to happen.

Have you checked device manager to see what drivers are needed - you can get them from the component maker for the most part.

Have you tried installing Windows 8 drivers? Windows 7 drivers should also work.

Actually...Microsoft is pushing the update, not the PC OEM.

Does it make this an ideal situation? Of course not, but given the OEM model Microsoft let themselves get into (and is trying to disrupt with Surface) its unfortunately a thing that has to happen.

Have you checked device manager to see what drivers are needed - you can get them from the component maker for the most part.

Have you tried installing Windows 8 drivers? Windows 7 drivers should also work.

My point is that I (well, my employer) paid for a product and I shouldn't have to care about any of these things. It's not like I built and configured it myself.

If Microsoft gets to push an update regardless if the OEM has plans to support it or not, the system is flawed.

Last edited:
Thats why the oem's have sites to say if your PC is supported or not, that you visit prior upgrading.

I won't do that since I have zero experience with Macs, but my 10 year old Dell has performed flawlessly....I don't think I've ever gotten a blue screen or anything, aside from once when my hd died...

Since Ive gotten Win7 it has been ridiculously stable, so maybe Win10 is the root of the problem?

Thats why the oem's have sites to say if your PC is supported or not, that you visit prior upgrading.

If my PC isn't supported, don't offer nag me to upgrade. It really is as simple as that. I should under no circumstances have to manually check if my PC supports an upgrade that's being offered with huge dialog boxes over and over again.

If the OEM's don't have systems in place to handle that, then the OEM's needs to get a grip.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't do that since I have zero experience with Macs, but my 10 year old Dell has performed flawlessly....I don't think I've ever gotten a blue screen or anything, aside from once when my hd died...

Since Ive gotten Win7 it has been ridiculously stable, so maybe Win10 is the root of the problem?

That's not the point.

We have about ten Dell desktops at our small business and they've all been reliable, on the OS they shipped with. My beef is with the Win10 upgrade they're forcing down the throats of billions of PC users, apparently regardless if there's official driver support or not. I really expected better of them, I guess.

If my PC isn't supported, don't offer nag me to upgrade. It really is as simple as that. I should under no circumstances have to manually check if my PC supports an upgrade that's being offered with huge dialog boxes over and over again.

If the OEM's don't have systems in place to handle that, then the OEM's needs to get a grip.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not the point.

We have about ten Dell desktops at our small business and they've all been reliable, on the OS they shipped with. My beef is with the Win10 upgrade they're forcing down the throats of billions of PC users, apparently regardless if there's official driver support or not. I really expected better of them, I guess.

The weird part is, the upgrade tool is supposed to automatically check for any incompatibility and make it difficult (if not impossible) to upgrade if major stuff won't work without you being aware.

It wouldn't let me upgrade my ancient D630 for the longest time because of this.

You can still roll back to windows 7 with your data untouched. You have 30 days before Windows 10 assumes things are OK and deletes the rollback data.

For what it's worth, my Windows 10 experience has been fine, and several users have told me they've upgraded at home with absolutely no problem.

As for OEM's blocking windows updates... Samsung tried that (turning off Windows Update and forcing users to use Samsung Update), got caught by the power user/enthusiast community and MS quickly called them to the carpet.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some sort of clause in the agreement with OEM's that prevents outright blocking of Windows Update, at least without user consent.

Yes, I guess I wouldn't exactly be happy if I had bought a PC and found out that some OEM-installed malarky is blocking important Microsoft features.

But I still find it baffling that a prebuilt computer gets updates that doesn't actually have hardware support.

I have a pc that has the nag, but it can't update because the nag states that the gpu doesn't meet min requirements.
So it could just check the pc and not the drivers.

Win10 upgrade thingy can be ignored if you're stubborn enough :)

Gah... was so excited about the NZXT Hue+ for some subtle ambient lighting, but...

:(

Last edited: