Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

That's what I love about Android. You can monitor, alert about and restrict mobile use however you want.

Screenshot_20160730-151900.png

Screenshot_20160730-151917.png

And the play store gives you control over updating in several ways.

Blanket:

Screenshot_20160730-151801.png

Per-app:

Screenshot_20160730-151705.png

Force:

Screenshot_20160730-152101.png

No decisions made for you.

What if I don't care and would rather it just be taken care of so I don't have to worry about it?

Well, then you don't get to complain if it goes wrong. You put trust into it, you got screwed, your own fault.

Also you just leave the default settings alone, just like with anything else.

Anyone have a suggestion for a phone case? This is for my new S7. It will be mostly carried in a bag, but on occasion, it will get put in a pocket.

What if I don't care and would rather it just be taken care of so I don't have to worry about it?
That's why you use a iPhone. The tradeoffs, like not being able to download a large app over cellular if you need it right away, are worth dealing with for you.

I have the Spigen Neo Hybrid on my S7...it's what I've had on my last 3 phones, and on my GF's phone. Even the Chinese knock-offs can be OK. Love it.

The tradeoffs, like not being able to download a large app over cellular if you need it right away, are worth dealing with for you.

That bit me in the ass, hard. Just another reason I'm so glad not to have to use it for actual work anymore.

Thanks for the case suggestions. New tough armor case is on the way.

I respect your decision to be wrong.

Oh believe me, I was just answering his question, I wasn't saying I want or like that.

It's a huge barrier against switching to the iPhone for me.

That's why you use a iPhone. The tradeoffs, like not being able to download a large app over cellular if you need it right away, are worth dealing with for you.

So far, I've been within range of Wi-Fi for that to not be a problem. There's always a coffee shop or McDonalds nearby.

That said, I've not had good luck finding a working IDE/ATA to USB box. I have a stack of old drives that I want to go through and pull off data should I need to before I recycle them. I'm very tempted to just get a PowerMac G4 since it flips down so easily to change drives quickly. Good idea or Bad idea? None of them have USB 2.0 so data transfer will be slow but that's ok since I could start copying files and leave it over night.

So far, I've been within range of Wi-Fi for that to not be a problem. There's always a coffee shop or McDonalds nearby.

That said, I've not had good luck finding a working IDE/ATA to USB box. I have a stack of old drives that I want to go through and pull off data should I need to before I recycle them. I'm very tempted to just get a PowerMac G4 since it flips down so easily to change drives quickly. Good idea or Bad idea? None of them have USB 2.0 so data transfer will be slow but that's ok since I could start copying files and leave it over night.

When I worked in university IT, we used something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Serial-ATA-USB-Converter-Adapter/dp/B006597TYK to migrate faculty data from one drive to another in certain circumstances. I'm sure my current gig has something like it but I've never had to use it.

In any case, the adapter works great.

Some ultrawide monitors are already at 300 Euros at amazon. Anyone got a recommendation for a good, but relatively cheap widescreen monitor?

Last edited:
Whoops! Sorry, Rick!