Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Why did they wait a thousand years before doing this? And also, if you have this phone, why do you keep using it?

Stupid phones for stupid people?

Why did they wait a thousand years before doing this? And also, if you have this phone, why do you keep using it?

Stupid phones for stupid people?
They recalled it and thought they solved the issue. These are replacement handsets blowing up now.

There are some idiots that plan on keeping it, some still have the pre recall phones.

You can't fix stupid.

This is normal procedure. The phones don't explode as soon as you turn them on, ffs. They did a recall, hoped to have fixed the problem, unfortunately didn't, so now they pulled the sales. Stop being a bag of dicks, Spectre.

But I suppose that's the same as telling rickhamilton to give up penis.

I like to think memers and trolls are giving Samsung a hard time mainly because Samsung like to act so above everyone else (particularly Apple) and make fun of iPhones in their advertising etc. Well guess what, if you totally fuck up like this, people are going to make fun of you in return.

Karma, biatch.

This is normal procedure. The phones don't explode as soon as you turn them on, ffs. They did a recall, hoped to have fixed the problem, unfortunately didn't, so now they pulled the sales.

You need to look into this more.

1. The phones didn't explode as soon as you turned them on, true. Some of them exploded *while turned off* so you didn't even have to wait to turn them on to experience Samsung Flame Master 2016. Several were documented as doing this (went on fire *in the damn box*) and one that was turned off exploded into flames and damaged a commercial aircraft in flight. As of today, the phone is banned from any US air flight because it did so even when turned off.

2. They *still* have been unable to determine why the phones go on fire. The first recall with new batteries from a different vendor was a stab in the dark by Samsung's own admission - they have admitted that they were just guessing it was the battery and hoped that would solve it. It was a shot in the dark.

3. Given the two above items, it's fucking astounding that Samsung *didn't* stop production before now. If you have a product that's emulating a hand grenade and have no idea why, why the fuck would you keep making (and indeed, selling) the damn thing?

4. Not only was their battery bullshit a blind stab at the problem, they also released an even more bullshit patch for the phone that the ongoing crisis has fortunately for Samsung made irrelevant. Patched and new replacement phones were unable to charge the battery beyond a crappy 60% by design. I'm sure that if the fires hadn't continued there would have been a big uproar about that.

5. Finally, Samsung has been documented as screwing customers over this issue. http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13215728/samsung-galaxy-note-7-third-fire-smoke-inhalation

The most disturbing part of this is that Klering?s phone caught fire on Tuesday and Samsung knew about it and didn?t say anything. And actually, it gets worse than that.

Samsung asked Klering if they could take possession of the phone and he said no, though the company did pay to have it X-rayed ? but the damning evidence comes in the form of a text message that Klering inadvertently received from a Samsung representative:

Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it[/]

Samsung was aware that its replacement phones were catching fire five days ago. Another caught fire on Thursday (on an airplane), and then another on Friday in the hands of a 13-year-old girl. That?s three in less than a week, with Samsung giving its customers little more than meaningless platitudes about "[taking] every report seriously" and that "customer safety remains our highest priority as we are investigating the matter."

Except that?s a lie. If customer safety was really the highest priority, we would have seen statements from Samsung telling customers to stop using even their replacement phones after the fire on the Southwest flight on Thursday.

So, yeah. Samsung deserves all the flak it gets over this one. Maybe you should actually look into the circumstances before defending the nearly-lethal screw ups of the most prominent manufacturer of phones running your precious Android.

But I suppose asking you to give up your blind rabid Android fanboyism is like asking the sun to turn itself off or water not to be wet.

I like to think memers and trolls are giving Samsung a hard time mainly because Samsung like to act so above everyone else (particularly Apple) and make fun of iPhones in their advertising etc. Well guess what, if you totally fuck up like this, people are going to make fun of you in return.

Karma, biatch.

There's that, but there's also quite a lot of disbelief and anger over how Samsung has handled - or more to the point, *didn't* handle in a number of cases - the issue. Samsung's initial reaction in US cases *with the replacement phones* can be summed up as 'meh, all phones are dangerous.' Only after press coverage increased and additional consumer backlash began did Samsung start doing what they should - see the above linked article for info.

It should also be mentioned that Samsung's US operations have been plagued with a rash of defective products of late, including top loading clothes washers that explode and sometimes start fires when they do so. Normally this could be considered bad luck, but Samsung's customer service basically was dealing with the issues by giving a big meaty 'fuck you' to the people affected while trying to hide the evidence The government had to step in to get Samsung to recall their exploding washers - video at link: http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/28/news/samsung-cpsc-washing-machine-explosion-reports/

Last edited:
1. The phones didn't explode as soon as you turned them on, true. Some of them exploded *while turned off* so you didn't even have to wait to turn them on to experience Samsung Flame Master 2016. Several were documented as doing this (went on fire *in the damn box*) and one that was turned off exploded into flames and damaged a commercial aircraft in flight. As of today, the phone is banned from any US air flight because it did so even when turned off.

AFAIK, there is no nationwide ban (read FAA) on the phone, but the FAA did make some recommendations:

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=86665
In response to an October 10, 2016 statement from the Consumer Product Safety Commission, and following a recent decision by Samsung to suspend global sales and exchanges of all Galaxy Note7 devices, the Federal Aviation Administration urges passengers onboard aircraft to power down, and not use, charge, or stow in checked baggage, any Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices, including recalled and replacement devices.
For more information, please read the Safety Alert for Operators, ?Air Transport Restrictions for Recalled Lithium Batteries and Lithium Battery Powered Devices? issued Sept. 16, 2016.

So it's not banned, but it they recommend to turn it off, not charge it, and not put it in checked luggage. This is exactly what I experienced on an Air Canada flight out of DFW in late September.

Same with Delta:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/advisories/samsung-note.html

And United Airlines:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx

Last edited:

AFAIK, there is no nationwide ban (read FAA) on the phone, but the FAA did make some recommendations:

https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=86665

So it's not banned, but it they recommend to turn it off, not charge it, and not put it in checked luggage. This is exactly what I experienced on an Air Canada flight out of DFW in late September.

Same with Delta:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/advisories/samsung-note.html

And United Airlines:

https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx

The ban was issued today as part of the CPSC recall: http://m.androidcentral.com/cpsc-is...call-23-new-fires-involving-replacement-notes

As of today, no Note 7s of any kind can be on a US flight, whether on or off, checked or carry on.

Last edited:
While I agree that Samsung has screwed the pooch on this one, I find it funny that you, an Apple fanboy, feel it is necessary to deride Ice for being an opposing fanboy.

While I agree that Samsung has screwed the pooch on this one, I find it funny that you, an Apple fanboy, feel it is necessary to deride Ice for being an opposing fanboy.

The difference is that I am not a blind rabid fanboy. Not really much of a fanboy, come to that. The computer on my desk isn't an Apple product, I don't have any Apple stickers on my car, I don't recommend Apple products to my clients automatically. I objectively evaluate products based on my clients' or my own needs and get what serves their needs best. Apple products often do that (when it comes to phones and tablets) but not always.

In fact, I'm such an Apple fanboy that on my way now to install a Dell server (that I recommended) on a network populated by Lenovos and Dells (that I recommended) all running Windows (that I recommended -even though I personally hate it) at a client. Thing is, I will evaluate all reasonable offerings, whereas Ice only ever seems to spew blind Android evangelism.

I would remind you that until recently I got paid to run field comparison tests of Android and other phones against iPhones for year after year by handing test phones out to users in the field. By the impartial stats, the iPhones kept winning. Should I recommend those, or should I recommend the other entrants who sometimes failed miserably?

Last edited:

Specially considering that Ice is a known Samsung hater.

But I stand corrected on the flying ban.

I wasn't being a fanboy of anything, as a matter of fact, I dislike Samsung almost as much as I do Apple. But there's procedures that take time and this was one of them. But please, let's hear more on the subject from the resident expert on all things. :)

Anyone here using this: https://www.asus.com/au/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS_Transformer_Book_T100HA/

I'm thinking of picking up something like this....just want something not too expensive, lightweight and with good battery life to take on trips with me. Wont be gaming or anything like that; just browsing the web, writing a few documents, etc.

I find that most of the laptops with removable tablet screens don't balance well. When the screen is opened past 90 degrees on your lap, they want to tip backwards. They also don't open quite as easily as one with a heavier base and lighter screen. Unless you know you'll use the tablet mode, my own recommendation would be to stick with a "traditional" laptop. Had a Surface Pro 3, pro 4, Surface Book, and various iPads with different keyboards...and I like using laptops better...but my phone is large enough (Note 5) that I just don't crave a tablet.

Last edited:
For some reason the convertibles tend to be cheaper....

Not even a month in, and it looks like my new graphics card has died...

You can get it RMAd at least. What was it?

XFX Radeon RX480 8GB. I've already tried using another cable I had lying around, reseating the card, and putting it in another slot in case it was a motherboard issue. The only thing I haven't tried is sticking it in another computer and seeing if it works there, and that's because I don't have one I can use. It looks like it's receiving power (at least if the blue LED on it is any indication). I've already submitted a ticket, since it's looking like I'll need to replace it. And at least I still have onboard graphics, so the computer isn't completely unusable...

Today I helped my 15yo nephew build his first PC. mATX, i3 6100, 8GB of DDR4 ram, GTX 760, 120GB SSD & 2TB HDD. Only took 2 hours and everything worked like a charm. I was actually surprised by that considering I didn't touch a thing and just tutored him through the process while also explaining a lot of PCMR stuff.

It was quite a budget build with a used graphics card, no modular PSU and cheapest case we could find (the thing is flimsier than my diet plan), but he's happy with it and how well it went together.

Just one thing, whatever you do, never go for a box cooler. We've already ordered a Be Quiet! BK002 to replace it. Holy hell, the whine...