Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

vQGzIDD.jpg

I loved that tutorial. EDIT: I also loved the Mac OS tutorial, this one was System 7's but I know it was in 8 (maybe 9?) as well:

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I got an A to C with my HTC 10, but that's still annoying as it was the only type C cable in the house. I ended up ordering a pack of Aukey cables to keep around the house and in the car.

https://www.amazon.de/umflochtenes-Ladekabel-inklusive-MacBook-Chromebook/dp/B01C416TKW
Good idea, I ordered the simple ones (I don't need sleeved USB cables...). Currently you get 5 Euros discount if you order them, and with the 30 day Prime trial shipping is for free as well so I paid 6,99 Euros for the three cables including shipping...

I'm also intrigued by Zen, even though I have no real need or intention(and certainly not the money) to upgrade my system anytime soon.

If my computer was still alive, I would not be building a new system either. But I am also flexible enough to be able to wait too.

Speaking of new processor options:

Cheap (optional 4G) connected PC's with battery life that lasts for dayyyysss? sign me up.

So are Huawei phones any good nowadays? Considering either a y6 or a p8 lite for the mrs.

Mind you it doesn't need to be a powerhouse, some browsing, facebook and mails is all she does with her phone

I don't really understand the price gap between these 2 ? Unless nfc is expensive?

The last large Nexus was a Huawei. There are some people who had it. I heard good things about it, although it was rather flimsy.

I have the P9 and I quite liked it. And it got better after the Nougat update with EMUI 5, which arrived quite quickly especially compared with my ex Sony Z3c that took ages until it got the Marshmallow update(around 6-7months).
If you want Nougat, these are the Huawei phones confirmed to received it: Mate 8 and P9 getting the update first, followed by the P9 Plus, P9 lite, nova, and nova Plus

It varies. Stay away from things with a Mediatek processor and accept the fact that update support will be somewhat spotty, and you should be fine.

Do updates on Nexus/Pixel phones depend on your carrier, like most other Android devices?

Only if it was bought from a carrier. If it's bought unlocked straight from google, they handle the updates.

All three of my drives are visible by software and utilities like Samsung Magician, but they aren't listed in the "Local disks" section of the "This PC" list.

Zuh?

Windows 10 64-bit
Samsung 850 Evo 512GB
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB
Western Digital Black 7200rpm 6TB

The OS is on the Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME drive, and is visible everywhere.

Last edited:
Have you tried swapping the port that the SSDs are plugged into?

Actually, I came back here to edit. I see in the MB manual that because I'm using this specific SSD (It's a PCIe, not SATA) in this specific M.2 slot, certain SATA ports are unavailable. I'll come back with my findings...

See, manuals are good for something.

Apparently not. I double-checked it again. Since my 2nd M.2 slot is empty, all 6 PCIe ports should be available. And even if this were an SATA M.2 drive, the ones I was using should have worked.

Last edited:
Well, I feel like a dummy. I haven't formatted a fresh drive in years. Only reformatted. I thought they still needed to be visible drives in Windows before I could use Windows to format them. Turns out I was wrong on that.

Moving forward!

Added up the things needed to get my D630 working decently again as a beater/car repair PC (the X220 I bought is wayyy too nice for this greasy shit + I use it at school now so it needs to not look embarrassing):

Xh9fzGw.png

At minimum, the keyboard and battery would need replacing, but the screen is also super dim...i'd be working outside so that's kinda a requirement as well.

Going to research alternatives, it may be worth looking for something smaller and cheaper around that price point or less.