Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Physical media is the only way to get the best available quality when it comes to video. I buy BR then rip at full quality to enjoy over the network.

EDIT: but to be honest, it's not like I actually obsess over every visual detail, but I figure if something is worth owning, it's worth owning the best version(within reason, I suppose). I feel like I've begun to ramble and even contradict myself.

I should stick to not posting. That's suits me better.

Last edited:
Yeah. You can also rely on the physical media to pick up on multi-speaker set ups better.

Physical media is the only way to get the best available quality when it comes to video. I buy BR then rip at full quality to enjoy over the network.

EDIT: but to be honest, it's not like I actually obsess over every visual detail, but I figure if something is worth owning, it's worth owning the best version(within reason, I suppose). I feel like I've begun to ramble and even contradict myself.

I should stick to not posting. That's suits me better.
No argument there but it's still something you need to keep somewhere (space is at a bit of a premium) but also streaming is one of those "good enough" that I am just not that bothered. Not to mention that I rarely rewatch stuff so I am OK with not "owning" something.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. You can also rely on the physical media to pick up on multi-speaker set ups better.

I haven't had an issue so far.

4k gaming is not standard. I know 2 people that game in 4k. Most still use 1080 to 1440.

It is standard. Meaning it is a standardized incremental (multiplication) resolution, supported by all operating systems and the graphics APIs & drivers, and developed against by AAA game developers so that it pretty much always works.

You probably meant to say it's not popular for gaming. That is accurate but doesn't matter at all for LP's question which was is the panel worth getting.

For that question prizrak's' answer is accurate so it depends on the use case, panel size and/or viewing distance and budget. So without more information there is no good answer.

Now for the opinion part of my post:

4K-UHD starts to matter at about 50" @ 2m viewing distance. Further/smaller than that I'd say 1440p might be good enough. 1080p is such a garbage resolution that the panel has to be very far and/or very small for it to not look like garbage by today's standards. In my living room, I have a 40" 1080p panel at a 3m viewing distance and it looks somewhat reasonable. Similarly, for work I use 1080p panels (22" and 24") and there's no getting away from the fact that the resolution is garbage for that size panels; muddy and aliased in almost every use case.

Having said that, the trouble with television panels specifically is that no one makes anything in between (i.e. 1440p). So either you get a 4K-UHD capable television or you're stuck with 1080p which really limits the use cases and viewing distances available using that panel.

Btw, the PS4 Pro doesn't always render native 4K-UHD. It uses dynamic resolution rendering and sometimes so-called "checkerboard" rendering which is more like 1920x2160 pixels. I can definitely tell when comparing it to native 2160p coming from a PC. The PS4 Pro looks high fidelity but still comparatively muddy. But it gets away with it because people generally speaking don't use consoles from a viewing distance where they get the full benefit from native 2160p.

When it comes to PC gaming at 4K, everything depends on game, but with NV Pascal (starting at GTX 1060) / AMD Vega based GPUs you can already render some games at some low-ish settings at 2160p anywhere between 30-45 fps (i.e. console tier refresh rate). With a GTX 1080 you're approaching more sustainable 45fps at medium-ish settings in most games, and with a 1080ti more like 60fps at medium-high settings in most games. (But in my opinion the card needs to be a liquid cooled one in this use case as it's always screaming at full power.)

Last edited:
With a GTX 1080 you're approaching more sustainable 45fps at medium-ish settings in most games, and with a 1080ti more like 60fps at medium-high settings in most games. (But in my opinion the card needs to be a liquid cooled one in this use case as it's always screaming at full power.)

Not always the case, since getting my Strix 1080ti I've been running Forza Horizon 3 on ultra at 4k and Prey on high with both getting 60fps without the card getting very hot. This is with a 40" TV at 0.5 to 1m

Yup, that's why I said depends on the game... Haven't played Forza personally but Prey is ridiculously easy to run. Not surprising, considering the graphical fidelity of that game is pretty lame.

I was making an untargeted blanket statement about expected framerates across "most games" so I had to take into account people might play Mass Effect Andromeda, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Assassin's Creed Unity, etc... Those are some recent games I found particularly tough to run at 4k ultra on my system (SLI Strix 1080ti's @ 2.0ghz). So the experience on one card would be disappointing, to say the least.

Good thing I don't want to play a lot of the AAA shite that's out there then. Apologies for such poor choice in games...

Whelp, glad I only went with them for the case.

I just ordered 4 fans. As long as they work, they should last almost forever. In theory at least.

Good thing I don't want to play a lot of the AAA shite that's out there then. Apologies for such poor choice in games...

You should be sorry! :tease:

My suggestion: the money for 4k is better spent on this:

https://www.oculus.com/rift/

:p

I have heard 2 of 3 major reviewers suggest waiting a year or so. Apparently, the new stuff is coming.

Pimax 4K is the headset I'm tempted by. Functionality wise I'm happy with the DK2 but I'm just tired of the low resolution, the Pimax has a wonderful display but doesn't have positional tracking. Bolting on a TrackIR would get around this problem and it's still about the same price as the Rift.

Vive v 2.0 is definitely coming. I've *heard* that the Oculus solution will be a new unit all together, and made cheaper.

Does he get sick in games where you stand still? No one who has tried mine has experienced that yet.

loose_unit got one a few days ago and now can't return it because it was opened, but it's making him sick within 5 minutes. Yay.

Damn that's a shame, clearly the only fair thing to do it auction it off at the Ringmeet. I would've thought that with all his experience driving wallowy BMWs he would be immune to motion sickness.

I've had the chance to use the one a friend owns a few times, most recently with his budget (?1k is minimum apparently) motion rig in Assetto Corsa and it really is an incredible combination. Glasses and Rift, however, not such a great combo.

Glasses and Rift, however, not such a great combo.

Loosen the side straps, place the headset on your face over the glasses, then pull the headband over your head and tighten the straps. There may be something I'm missing here as it is a common complaint with the Oculus but not something I was ever really bothered by.

Does he get sick in games where you stand still? No one who has tried mine has experienced that yet.
Just staying still, there's far too much instability in the Rift's sensors. He stands still, the image bobs up and down. I'm sure he could paint you a much clearer picture.

Just staying still, there's far too much instability in the Rift's sensors. He stands still, the image bobs up and down. I'm sure he could paint you a much clearer picture.

Interference. Proof that he's a prototype cyborg, he just doesn't know it. A defective one going by the list of mishaps to his name. :lol:

Loosen the side straps, place the headset on your face over the glasses, then pull the headband over your head and tighten the straps. There may be something I'm missing here as it is a common complaint with the Oculus but not something I was ever really bothered by.

Yeah that works, I'm just lazy and find that annoying compared to the DK2 which I can just put on normally or just about use without glasses if I swap the lenses. I suspect the same can be done with the newer one but it wasn't mine to fiddle with.