Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeVeL View Post
    Interesting responses...

I sit directly in front of the left one but I use both of the big monitors nonstop essentially. The laptop screen is mostly for music.

You could fit some more flags in there, you know?

Originally posted by NooDle View Post
    Interesting to read y'all have too many monitors since all I read is 'I mainly use x and not really y'. (...)
    Oi, I switched from three screens to just a single (very big) one!

Comment

Originally posted by CD82 View Post
      Oi, I switched from three [...] to just a single (very big) one!
      Twss [emoji14]
      1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
      1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
      2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
      2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
      2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
      2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
      Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

This monday we moved into a newly renovated floor of our office building.

Today i added the left screen.
        Due to technical restrictions, i am not able to use a third monitor on the zero client.

IT'S OK TO BE TAKEI

Volvo C30 DRIVe
        BMW F700GS

The Law of Inverse Value: The less you contribute to society, the greater the trauma you can sustain with minimal to no physical sequelae.

FG Ringmeet 2014
        FG Ringmeet 2015
        FG Mini-Roadtrip 2015

Comment

My OCD is going nuts at non identical screen sizes

Comment

you would hate my desk then (15" 1024x768 HP f50 from 2003 next to an HP 22xi 22" 1080p IPS screen)

<Ice> Oh, you're the kiddy anime guy.
            "The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
            John F. Kennedy

Comment

You and me both...

My Car(s):
              2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S sedan - 1.8L I4, 4-speed automatic - work commuter (PYC coming soon)
              2012 Ford Focus SE hatchback - 2.0L I4, 5-speed manual - weekend/road trip warrior
              1999 Chevrolet Cavalier sedan - 2.2L I4, 3-speed automatic, crap-ton of rust and not much else (first car) - SOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by gaasc View Post
                you would hate my desk then (15" 1024x768 HP f50 from 2003 next to an HP 22xi 22" 1080p IPS screen)
                The client I'm working with is moving to a new office. They asked me to provide monitor arms for their existing monitors. # of them are these old Sony things that have 2-3" bezels and are as deep as a CRT but have no VESA mount, and all of the executives that have two monitors have a mix-and-match of monitors between 14" 4:3 and 21" 16:9.
                There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

So, what exactly do you do as a ham radio operator?
                  1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                  2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                  1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                  2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                  2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

I was putting together a thing today. If I can stop the interruptions, I might be able to finish it tomorrow.

"I don't care who does the electing, so long as I get to do the nominating" -Boss Tweed

We’ve gone from 'Hope and Change' to 'Hope and Change Your Story.' -Bill Maher

Comment

You'd hate my desk at home then, old 2007 22" 16:10 next to a 25" 16:9. That being said, the setup is hardly ideal but it fits my needs.
                      1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                      1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                      2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                      2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                      2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                      2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                      Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

Here's my current setup at the office:

27" 5k iMac, 27" 1440p Dell and 43" 4k Dell displays, it's quite lovely

Comment

Originally posted by Adunaphel View Post
                          You'd hate my desk at home then, old 2007 22" 16:10 next to a 25" 16:9. That being said, the setup is hardly ideal but it fits my needs.
                          It depends, if the screen sizes vary greatly, I'm fine, but if it's just one inch smaller or larger it looks weird.
                          All of our company migrated from single to dual screens last year, and because I was in the first "wave", I got identical screens.

Second wave got slightly wider second screens, with a completely different bezel. It physically hurts working on those screens, since everything is just not identical in every way

Comment

I got used to my work monitors being different. 19" 1280x1024 4:3 next to a 24" 1080p 16:9. With some tweaking of the vertical position it became natural, it's still sometimes a surprise though when things are dragged over to the left monitor and become much bigger.

Anyway I'm fancying a CPU upgrade from my i5-4690k but don't really fancy a full rebuild to Kabylake and the cost involved. I'm tempted to get a used i7-4790k, here's how the numbers look:

It seems like a bit of a no-brainer, the main improvement will be for gaming and video rendering. What do people think, worth it?

Edit: I should point out that my board is automatically overclocking the i5 to over 4GHz as it is, I should still see it go higher with the i7 shouldn't I? I intend to improve the cooler.
                            Last edited by Matt2000; August 4th, 2017, 5:10 PM.

Comment

Scored a free mid 2014 iMac
                              ScarFace88 - "So you're a dildo?"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt2000 View Post
                                Edit: I should point out that my board is automatically overclocking the i5 to over 4GHz as it is, I should still see it go higher with the i7 shouldn't I? I intend to improve the cooler.
                                Do it if you can. Depending on Silicon Lottery and your cooler you should be able to turbo all day long and get nice thermals. Auto-Overclocking could get it up to 4.6-4.7, again depending on your cooler.

Do keep in mind though that CPUmark is a synthetic benchmark and favors the hyperthreaded core count of the 4790k as well as the increased clock speed. Real-World Gaming performance will be mostly unaffected unless you run very CPU-heavy games (GTA V, Crysis 3), you may get better performance improvements on video editing.

Userbenchmark gives an average of 8% difference between the 4690k and 4790k. on real-life conditions. So not exactly the 30% that the chart you linked says. That's not bad though, you only get 14% difference on average between a 4790k and a 7700k and you have to switch everything on your PC and deal with their shitty (bordering on atrocious) thermals

EDIT: Added more info. Let me know if it helps.
                                Last edited by gaasc; August 4th, 2017, 5:41 PM.

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were."
                                John F. Kennedy

Comment

Last edited by CD82; August 4th, 2017, 5:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CD82 View Post
                                    You could fit some more flags in there, you know?
                                    The big one used to hang outside my old apartment. The mug was a gift. The two small desk flags were basically a parting gift from my old job - they used to be in the old conference room. I'm also in an industry where a whole lot of people have the flag in their official portraits
                                    "Men with guts attack those corners!" - Keiichi Tsuchiya
                                    2006 Acura TL and 1999 Mazda Miata

Comment

Originally posted by gaasc View Post
                                      Do it if you can. Depending on Silicon Lottery and your cooler you should be able to turbo all day long and get nice thermals. Auto-Overclocking could get it up to 4.6-4.7, again depending on your cooler.
                                      I'm waiting for this to hit Amazon:

http://www.deepcool.com/product/cpuc...5/7_6790.shtml

I also like their cases with built-in CPU watercooling, for aesthetics and noise reduction.

Comment

Why does Microsoft prefer I install Office for 32-bit? When I log into office365, when you go to download the office suite, their recommended version is 32-bit. Despite having a 64-bit machine and 64-bit edition of windows 10. It recognizes I have such but still shows that first. I can choose a 64-bit version but, that's besides my point.
                                        1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                                        2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                                        1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                                        2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
                                        2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

I think it's just the default for compatibility reasons. You can run 32-bit in 64-bit but not the other way around.

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Working...
                                          X