Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

And if you can do NVME (either M.2 or PCIe), it's even a bigger speed jump (both roughly 5x) than going from typical 7200 SATA to SSD SATA! Meaning SATA SSD is 5x faster than HDD, and MVME is 5x faster than SATA SSD

You effectively go from (read) 100 to 500 to 2500. :)

It's a conspiracy! Also dual boot is for losers and traitors, full Linux + Win VM if you need it. Oh and put an SSD all up in that bitch, they are cheap enough and so much flipping faster it ain't even funny

After testing the waters with my netbook I tried out Lubuntu on my extremely low spec Windows tablet.... unfortunately it looks like there is a hole in AMD graphics drivers right around the 6000 series. Official closed-source drivers are only available for older operating systems, the new open-source drivers are for newer hardware, and I was able to find a project for hardware acceleration that only works on older hardware. So it's an awkward situation where even though Linux runs much more smoothly than Windows, I have no hardware video acceleration to do one of the main things I would actually want to use the tablet for, watching videos (it does not have enough processing power to play back youtube videos without it).

Touch screen support is pretty minimal too, it does work but would require some heavy customization to get an acceptably functional on screen keyboard and the ability to hold for right click. Multitouch does not seem to work at all.

After testing the waters with my netbook I tried out Lubuntu on my extremely low spec Windows tablet.... unfortunately it looks like there is a hole in AMD graphics drivers right around the 6000 series. Official closed-source drivers are only available for older operating systems, the new open-source drivers are for newer hardware, and I was able to find a project for hardware acceleration that only works on older hardware. So it's an awkward situation where even though Linux runs much more smoothly than Windows, I have no hardware video acceleration to do one of the main things I would actually want to use the tablet for, watching videos (it does not have enough processing power to play back youtube videos without it).

Touch screen support is pretty minimal too, it does work but would require some heavy customization to get an acceptably functional on screen keyboard and the ability to hold for right click. Multitouch does not seem to work at all.

Well that just sux man, this kind of shit is one of the reasons I prefer Apple, still have a native CLI but don't have to worry about this driver crap.

You could also have a useless iMac because Apple refuses to fix the drivers.

You could also have a useless iMac because Apple refuses to fix the drivers.

I don't follow? You might have one that is out of support so you won't have latest software on it but they will always work in w/e configuration they were shipped in.

I had an iMac early 2008 model. Back then it had weird graphical errors that equated to "apple won't update the drivers so, you're stuck with the random wake from sleep to flashing rainbow of colors or total freezing. This was an iMac that I bought with Leopard installed and a year and a half later this issue came up. That answer is where google lead me. Since it was only a monumental issue, I didn't bother fixing it or replacing it. I was also getting out the apple realm as my job to make videos wound down. I put Windows 7 on it and never had a graphical issue. :blink:

I had an iMac early 2008 model. Back then it had weird graphical errors that equated to "apple won't update the drivers so, you're stuck with the random wake from sleep to flashing rainbow of colors or total freezing. This was an iMac that I bought with Leopard installed and a year and a half later this issue came up. That answer is where google lead me. Since it was only a monumental issue, I didn't bother fixing it or replacing it. I was also getting out the apple realm as my job to make videos wound down. I put Windows 7 on it and never had a graphical issue. :blink:

That's just flipping weird.... Also hilarious that Windows worked better.

Yeah, I also had a iMac G5 iSight before it and went through 3 logic boards... I personally didn't have the best of luck. I only got the intel iMac from bitching after that many logic board replacements.

Well that just sux man, this kind of shit is one of the reasons I prefer Apple, still have a native CLI but don't have to worry about this driver crap.

I actually managed to get a hardware accelerated video player working, somehow. It still doesn't work in browsers. So I can download a Youtube video and then watch it :lol:

This tablet has extremely odd hardware, it's an AMD APU but before they were branded as such, so the graphics are seen as a Radeon HD 6250 and take generic HD 6000 series drivers.

That was actually the run of defective nVidia 8800 GPUs that Apple got stuck with. The problem was only masked on Windows - the driver change reduced performance in order to try to hide the issue but if you made the GPU work hard the graphic errors would appear there too. Apple's UI at the time caused a higher base load than most Windows systems so it wouldn't matter if Apple changed the driver, you'd still get errors. I had the same problems with 8800s on both Macs and PCs I was supporting at the time.

No, this iMac had the ATI x2400.

No, this iMac had the ATI x2400.

Dunno about that, then. Didn't have any problems with those, had lots of problems with the 8800 and heard people blaming Apple's driver implementation of that when the 8800 was the real problem.

I thought it was found that they had poor solder joints much like the iBook 600-900mhz G3's

I thought it was found that they had poor solder joints much like the iBook 600-900mhz G3's

I think that was a different nVidia card. nVidia's shipped a bunch of bad GPUs over the years.

Anyway, I googled as well as checked my records - I found just one Early 08 iMac with an ATI GPU that was showing video problems and applying this firmware fix resolved it along with updating to 10.6.8. https://support.apple.com/kb/dl938?locale=en_US

Not that it would help you now... :p

I actually managed to get a hardware accelerated video player working, somehow. It still doesn't work in browsers. So I can download a Youtube video and then watch it :lol:

This tablet has extremely odd hardware, it's an AMD APU but before they were branded as such, so the graphics are seen as a Radeon HD 6250 and take generic HD 6000 series drivers.

Zombie tablet lives! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Dunno about that, then. Didn't have any problems with those, had lots of problems with the 8800 and heard people blaming Apple's driver implementation of that when the 8800 was the real problem.

Apple seems to have random GPU problems from time to time. My MBP is the one where the ATI GPU would go kaput and take the integrated one with it. Apple actually replaced the board out of warranty for me because they got sued for it.

I think that was a different nVidia card. nVidia's shipped a bunch of bad GPUs over the years.

Anyway, I googled as well as checked my records - I found just one Early 08 iMac with an ATI GPU that was showing video problems and applying this firmware fix resolved it along with updating to 10.6.8. https://support.apple.com/kb/dl938?locale=en_US

Not that it would help you now... :p

Funny enough, I still have that iMac in the corner collecting dust. It felt criminal to get rid of the machine since it has 6GB of memory in it and can still handle the internet, unlike my dual processor PowerMac G4. :D

Now I just need to find somebody with a copy of Snow Leopard. I'd love to get a Universal (PowerPC and Intel) copy of iLife that nobody wants anymore...

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "design flaw".

Years ago researches were able to sniff keystrokes by listening to the EM signals put out by keyboards. Would you call that a design flaw too?

It's merely a fact that our devices are capable of more than we normal humans can think of.

It just takes someone to figure it out and (ab)use it.

And then the manufacturers will patch it.

Is a battery case worth 99 bucks over the alternative of having a battery in your pocket connected via a lightning cable?

For me, I'd have to have a need for the extended battery more than once a week.

It would also depend on how much of a boost would this battery case provide. If i wouldn't end a heavy-use days with 30%+ left, then no.

Also, does the battery case take away the ability to wirelessly charge? I've been using a wireless charger at work, and love it.