Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Fuck yeah, I have a multitouch Windows tablet just waiting for a proper interface.

Hah, i figured you would. I was going to install on ze netbook, but I remembered that the new UI wont function at that low a resolution.

What resolution will it function on. I have a 1024x rugged laptop with a touchscreen, will it work on that?

1024X768 and up. At 1366X768 and higher, you'll be able to use "split screen apps"

The image below is a good example:

7d8815e2-0929-4be0-8588-ef995fe31da5.jpg

I just hope you can fall back to the "classic" interface. Especially on non-tablets. On one hand, managing windows and operating Windows Explorer can be a pain on a touch screen, on the other hand, it is sometimes necessary for heavier multitasking (also I have the keyboard dock so it needs to be able to function as a laptop as well).

Not to mention backwards compatibility.

I just hope you can fall back to the "classic" interface. Especially on non-tablets. On one hand, managing windows and operating Windows Explorer can be a pain on a touch screen, on the other hand, it is sometimes necessary for heavier multitasking (also I have the keyboard dock so it needs to be able to function as a laptop as well).

Not to mention backwards compatibility.

You sure can. If you have a "classic" app pinned to the start screen (or you search for it, or have the desktop tile on the start screen) and you tap it, you'll be brought to the classic desktop. In Windows 8, the classic desktop is an app, with the Start screen being the core experience. The classic desktop isn't even loaded if you don't run it.

Here's some tips and tricks to remember: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20110914/windows-8-101-tips-tricks-for-new-start-experience/

I'll create a Windows 8 thread if there's enough interest.

I really don't like that. That start screen with the app tiles :barf:. And I don't understand why everything must be an app these days. What happened to good old "programs" eh? And the fact that the desktop is an app itself is a total turnoff for me, especially since that launcher replaces the start menu.

I did like that picture password feature though.

I think there's enough interest for a thread (especially after tonight), and I'm a lazy bastard so by all means :p

I really don't like that. That start screen with the app tiles :barf:. And I don't understand why everything must be an app these days. What happened to good old "programs" eh? And the fact that the desktop is an app itself is a total turnoff for me, especially since that launcher replaces the start menu.

I did like that picture password feature though.

Apps are fancy names for programs. Your programs are all there, and if you want you can totally set Windows 8 to work like Windows 7-IE, have Classic Desktop start as soon as Windows 8 is logged into. The app tiles are better than icon's in theory, because they can be live. They're also better "touch targets" for fingers.

I think there's enough interest for a thread (especially after tonight), and I'm a lazy bastard so by all means :p

I'll start it! :)

Last edited:
Hey rick, did you try the running the visualizer by itself? Like, have just iTunes open. I know this may sound stupid but, is your virus scanner running when you're doing this? I know virus programs have to stay on but the scanning is a resource hog.

Hey rick, did you try the running the visualizer by itself? Like, have just iTunes open. I know this may sound stupid but, is your virus scanner running when you're doing this? I know virus programs have to stay on but the scanning is a resource hog.

I'm not the one with the visualizer problem, IIRC it's CrazyRussian :p

Oh, oops....

It's been a long day stuck behind a computer designing brochures...

Asphalt 6 is free on iOS.

Was just at Fry's a couple hours ago to pick up some ESD eqipment. Asked a guy if they have ESD mats. He tells me they don't carry them, only grounding straps. I went to were he told me the grounding straps were, and they had ESD mats!

:hammer:

I also got one of these gadgets as a semi-impulse purchase. I've been looking for some kind of air compressor type thing to replace air cans, my house and PC gets dusty as hell and I'm tired of having to keep buying air cans all the time. Hopefully it will make a good replacement. Will report back once I find out if its good to go.

I also got one of these gadgets as a semi-impulse purchase. I've been looking for some kind of air compressor type thing to replace air cans, my house and PC gets dusty as hell and I'm tired of having to keep buying air cans all the time. Hopefully it will make a good replacement. Will report back once I find out if its good to go.

swiffer-duster-9-28-09-300x225.jpg

/ducks

I'd return it and buy a low-pressure air pump (the sort you'd use to inflate an airbed). Does the same thing for 1/3 the cost. :)

I'd return it and buy a low-pressure air pump (the sort you'd use to inflate an airbed). Does the same thing for 1/3 the cost. :)

I donno about that. I don't think that would really have the pressure to blast the dust out of all the little nooks and crannies inside a PC.

yeah, you can try using that to get the dust out of your CPU heatsink if you want :p I think I'll stick with compressed air myself :p