Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Cryptopygia;n3544977 said:
If you're looking for/don't mind buying an Nvidia card, both EVGA and Nvidia themselves sell cards directly from their websites, either at MSRP, or right about what they would normally sell for.

It's just buying them when they're still in stock is still an issue.

Stock is indeed very much the issue. I caved and picked up an sealed BNIB EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid from a randome guy last night for 1040 USD shipped. Once I remove shipping, it drops down to about 980.. which is only 80 above EVGA's current MSRP (900... pre-mining boom that particular card was 850) that's not been in stock for the past weeks. I'll pay 80 over MSRP. I refuse to pay 500+ over MSRP that every proper shop is selling em at.

According to what AnandTech has been told, the stocks are super-tight right now because there's just not enough VRAM to make the cards, which really, really sucks :(

Just after a general opinion here. I got myself the GoPro dual charger so I can stop forgetting to charge the batteries and have it powered from a USB power supply. I intend to have that USB power supply running permanently and so will have the charger running permanently. Am I likely to damage the batteries doing this?

I know lithium-ion batteries these days handle constant trickle charge fine but it's rare that they're on permanently.

I don't know this for sure, but I'd assume GoPro would be using good batteries with proper charge protection circuitry built in to prevent damage.

I would hope so yeah and likely we would know about by now if they didn't, considering how many professionals use them. I'm sure I'm just powering the internal circuitry and the green LED.

That link is staying blue. Why are you asking about identity theft in a computer-y tech thread?

that's a guy who went around the internet, and collected all hacked info that's around
you can enter your email, and check if it was was present in any of the datasets he managed to collect

Last edited:
Nearly a fortnight after my move to iOS, iTunes and Apple Music I'm loving it. Contrary to what everyone around me said I haven't been frustrated with restrictions and have enjoyed stuff generally just working. It's the little things, for example when I like a song in iTunes it goes to a playlist of liked songs and I can change the order of those. I couldn't do that with Google Play Music and it annoyed the hell out of me when I liked a new song from an artist.

I'm getting on well with iCloud too. I understand it's still pretty new but the photo sync service is so far working very well for me. I like having lots of photos on my phone so I'm paying the tiny 79p a month for 50GB storage, which has worked out well with the 256GB iPhone so far. The service is a little slow at downloading new stuff to the PC but in general use it's fine, by the time I actually want the photo or video it'll be there and if I want it sooner I can just get it from the iCloud website. From what I'm reading it'll only get better, the only thing it lacks at the moment is a web interface for music playing but I suspect that isn't far away.

I heard that caseless keyboards are the in thing now so I took the top cover off my (now quite old) BlackWidow Ultimate:

Okay so it needed cleaning anyway, I just haven't put the top back on yet. :D

After 13 or so years of Mac usage, I've decided to move back to PCs. App wise I'm set, except I don't know what password manager and photo manager to use. For the former I'd like something that will auto-fill passwords/debit card/address for me. For the latter something just for basic editing and touch up. Any suggestions?

Keepass 2 for the password manager.

Keepass is good, I use Lastpass too which has worked well.

Coming up to two months since I got my iPhone X and I have realised that, strangely, my Moto 360 G2 Android Wear watch has been more reliable with this than it ever was with my Z5 Premium. Bonkers, innit? :dunno:

Out of the box it lacks those features, but with plugins you can have a variety of those features, depending on your needs. :)

Which is exactly why I use Keepass 2. Open source, verified by multiple parties state-of-the-art AES encryption of the password file with a stupid long master key allows me to store it on multiple cloud providers for sync without much worrying.

Last edited:
I ended up with KeePass, even though the Firefox plugin won't work with quantum. I miss Apple's Keychain, but all the software like it on Windows have subscriptions and require cloud based storage. Screw that.

After a bit of dicking around with refind, I installed a big nvme on my power house Z77 2500k and everything thus far is working (I say this as I copy over my itunes and photos folders).

Windows Photos needs some improvement in regards to facial recognition:

:drums: