This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eizbaer View Post
    i'm with you on that... i was fairly annoyed when they gave me a 15" laptop at work because i felt it was too big, even if most of the time it sits in its dock in the office.
    Oh, so a Panasonic CF-53 is too big? That's what work provided me with. To be honest, I think it's only because it's the last laptop to provide built in RS232.
    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)
    2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI 6-Speed (February 2018 - Present)

Comment

Originally posted by 93Flareside View Post
      Oh, so a Panasonic CF-53 is too big? That's what work provided me with. To be honest, I think it's only because it's the last laptop to provide built in RS232.
      It's not quite the last: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/la...5404-laptop/pd and http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/la...7404-laptop/pd have RS232

/unashamed latitude fanboy
      "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

Originally posted by rickhamilton620 View Post
        And for the rest of us who like having a decent screen with our laptops, Dell makes this olde relic: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...4&sku=430-3115

/also unashamed Latitude/Precision fanboy

Comment

yeah they gave me a latitude E5540... with the bloody touchscreen whyyyyyy...
          argh. oh well, it works and at least runs rather nicely with lots of RAM and SSD.
          2015 Seat Leon FR TDI

Comment

Originally posted by ZeDestructor View Post
            And for the rest of us who like having a decent screen with our laptops, Dell makes this olde relic:
            http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...4&sku=430-3115

/also unashamed Latitude/Precision fanboy
            Yeah but then you can't get your serial on while on the go!

yeah they gave me a latitude E5540... with the bloody touchscreen whyyyyyy...
            argh. oh well, it works and at least runs rather nicely with lots of RAM and SSD.
            Um...just don't touch the screen?
            Last edited by rickhamilton620; May 13th, 2015, 2:06 PM.
            "The way I see it a car enthusiast is somebody who is enthusiastic and interested about the motor car in all its various shapes and forms from supercars to East German 2-strokes made of cardboard. Everyone else is merely a car elitist IMO." ~ Captain 70's

Get out of my way! I have photocopiers to sell! ~ Perc

"A computer is a Lite-Brite for bad fucking ideas."

FinalGear's Dash-Stroking Whore

Comment

it still comes with a bloody glass cover on the screen, it's the most glare-y and reflective thing ever devised by man!!!
              2015 Seat Leon FR TDI

Comment

Best reason to not get a touchscreen laptop. I like matte screens.
                1986 BMW E23 735i Goodbye...
                1996 BMW E36 328i Touring Executive R.I.P.
                2001 Mercedes-Benz W203 C220 CDI Classic ...Aaaand it's gone
                2003 BMW E46 330dA Touring Lifestyle Edition
                2014 Renault Clio Tce 90 S&S Expression Pack Introduction
                2018 Renault Clio Tce 90 Intens
                Rental roulette: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Comment

This now finalizes my 2015 upgrades for my computer built in 2011.

Changes in specs:

ASUS mobo -> unchanged
                  i5-2500K -> unchanged
                  ArcticCooling Freezer Heatsink+Fan -> unchanged (mounted sideways to exhaust out the back and give back DIMM space that it was blocking)
                  MSI Twin Frozr II Overclocked 560Ti -> EVGA GTX 960 SSC
                  Corsair Dominator 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM -> Crucial ballistix low-profile 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM.
                  Corsair Force 120GB SATA II MLC SSD -> SanDisk Ultra Plus 256GB SATA III SSD

Did a fresh install of Win7 on the new SSD, went fairly smoothly. Still doing the windows updates but that will go on forever I bet. The Win experience index went from 5.9 (because of old SSD) to 7.5 (because of processor). Crystal disk mark reports:

OLD SSD

NEW SSD

BlaRo: i'm a strong independent black woman....WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN

Comment

Good results there, those are nice SSDs for the price.

Your 2500k still stock? Open it up a bit, those things you can usually do 3.6 - 4.0 with nothing more than a multiplier change.
                    2014 Mustang GT - Oxford White
                    Track Pack | 301A | Borla S-Type | Lethal O/R/H | MGW Race-Spec | Eibach Prokit | AED Tuned
                    2015 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 AWD - Wife's DD
                    2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited - DD

Comment

I think I'm gonna do that with my 2500k, have to push the H60 a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeRadden View Post
                        Good results there, those are nice SSDs for the price.

Your 2500k still stock? Open it up a bit, those things you can usually do 3.6 - 4.0 with nothing more than a multiplier change.
                        Yeah the price has severely dropped for SSDs since I first built this machine. Back when I built it, the SATA II (FFS, how did I not see this before) SSD for 120 GB was $220. I got the new SSD for $95.

The CPU is still stock yes, but I could definitely boost it considering I don't have the stock heatsink/fan setup and I just redid the thermal paste not that long ago.

Originally posted by maxtortheone View Post
                        I think I'm gonna do that with my 2500k, have to push the H60 a bit!
                        Do it!
                        BlaRo: i'm a strong independent black woman....WHO DON'T NEED NO MAN

Comment

Do it! 2500ks are forgiving and easy to overclock. Just go bump your multiplier up by 1 until it won't boot, then bump it down 2 and run a stress test, done. My 2600k could do 3.9 on stock voltage.
                          Track Pack | 301A | Borla S-Type | Lethal O/R/H | MGW Race-Spec | Eibach Prokit | AED Tuned

Comment

Well I noticed since I turned the Windows power plan to high performance(in 7 and 8.1) the Turbo mode is always enabled, so it's almost always at 3.7. And in games it hovers at around 51C.

Comment

On an H60? What thermal compound? That's a little high.

Comment

That's in-game. Like, running GTA 5 for half a day.

Comment

it still comes with a bloody glass cover on the screen, it's the most glare-y and reflective thing ever devised by man!!!
                                  The worst bit is that matte touchscreens do exist.. my X220 Tablet for example...

Comment

The worst bit is that matte touchscreens do exist.. my X220 Tablet for example...
                                    Ewwww so then you get nasty fingerprints all over it?

Comment

Originally posted by JakeRadden View Post
                                      Ewwww so then you get nasty fingerprints all over it?
                                      My tablet is a shiny touch screen and gets fingerprints all over it
                                      Octavia
                                      Fabia
                                      Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                                        My tablet is a shiny touch screen and gets fingerprints all over it
                                        I feel like they show up more on a matte screen than a gloss screen for some reason?

Comment

if its a matte touchscreen, i have to assume it has an anti-fingerprint coating.

Of course, matte is a texture, so over time, high traffis areas will start to show signs of glossiness...probably a loooong time, but eventually...
                                          There is no such thing as a stupid question.* *but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Working...
                                          X