The "New Toys" Thread

This was pretty interesting:

I was the same as him. In other words, decade+ of everyone else around me saying too much is bad. I guess that's coming from boxed cooler mounts in the 90s - early 00s, where I assume the heatsink wouldn't mount correctly if there was too much thermal compound, and the thermal compound itself turned into an insulator, instead of escaping the space between the heatsink and the cpu core. (I still remember the mounts of the boxed Socket A heatsink, which actually felt unreliable even when installed correctly.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I was wondering whether I should post that video as well. Just like everywhere else, advances have been made in the past 10 years and methods change with them. Just because something was the norm a decade ago, doesn't mean it still applies today.

samsung_mz_v5p256bw_256gb_950_pro_m_2_1187806.jpg

To replace the 2.5" SATA SSD in my gaming rig. The old one will replace the slow HDD in my new laptop.

samsung_mz_v5p256bw_256gb_950_pro_m_2_1187806.jpg

To replace the 2.5" SATA SSD in my gaming rig. The old one will replace the slow HDD in my new laptop.

But what does the slow hdd replace?????

Have you actually ever tried that?

Funnily enough, yes... put enough paste that it dribbled down the sides a little bit last time I had my loop out.

And then there's the pile of 2nd-hand laptops I've cleanup up over the years. At least 3 of em served 3 years of abuse in a mine or other place with fine red soil and they were fine with more paste than CPU silicon on the package.

I want one of those but they are surprisingly expensive, at least considering the few things I can think of I want to do with it...

You can probably get away cheaper with a corded 230V version. Or with an off-brand one. Dremel makes many 230V tools because (I'm guessing) it's the type of tool you typically use at a workbench in a shop. I don't, so I needed mine to be cordless. I also can't be bothered with crappy powertools, so I went for the most powerful one by a (well, by the) reputable manufacturer. I didn't get all the bits and bobs in the picture, though. It's a slightly different kit than mine.

Speaking of hating weak powertools... my 18V brushless Makita made spaghetti out of a brand new 32mm Chinesium? wood drill today. The entire kit with 7 drills in a nice box cost something like 7 euros. Supermarket impulse buy. The next one I buy will be five times that, ish.

Last edited:
If you don't need cordless and/or want actual power behind a rotary tool (like if you're going to be doing all the work at a bench) skip the Dremels and get a good flexshaft from Foredom or similar. They've been used in the jewelry (and other small manufacturing) industry for decades. They're much more powerful and give better control, and you can use just about any of the bits and tips you already have. Dremel looks like a Fisher Price toy in comparison.

I got the cheapest dremel that had variable speed. It came with cutting discs but nothing to mount them to. Not really sure the thought process with that was...

I've gone and built another drone:

o3ck0OQl.jpg

This one is different though, because it's indoor-sized :)

uw4rpM7l.jpg

Small and maneuverable enough to fly at home, in the office, and generally wherever. Tons of fun!