The "New Toys" Thread

Now I want a burrito.

Oh man, I wish. 10,000 Homewreckers from Moe's.

Got myself a Cowon S9 32gb media player recently.

I love the extremely long battery life of it and the fully customizable interface allows for some really nice designs. Also it probably supports the most fileformats out of any media player atm.

Unfortunately because the OS is based on flash 7 it can be a bit sluggish at times but maybe Cowon will release updated firmware with a more modern flash later on.

The amoled display is really nice as well, the blacks are incredibly black and the colors crisp and sharp.
If you want better pictures of the device then just google it.

Attachments

• DSCF0334.JPG
    DSCF0334.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF0343.JPG
    DSCF0343.JPG
    224.9 KB · Views: 58
My old (ancient 1.2ghz celeron) PC took a course in crashing and went directly to the top er, bottom of the class. So I built meself a new one.

ASUS MB with AMD 790GX on board graphics and 7.1 audio
AMD Phenom X3 @ 2.5 GHZ
4 GB DDRII ram
1 TB Hitachi hard drive(more to be added)
500 watt OCZ power supply that has a huge 135 mm fan
The case is an older Antec Lanboy that I had tucked away
and windows 7

new-pc-2-5-ghz-phenom-x3-1966.jpg

This will be my Home Theater PC (HTPC) and web surfer. The MB/graphics were choose because I can intergrate them with a video card later on and can be hooked to anything now(HDMI, VGA, DVI).

If you want that HTPC to be silent I would buy a better heatsink with a larger fan. Otherwise that thing will run at max rpm the whole time.
I would also undervolt that back case fan, to achieve total silence.

I see this a lot, and I don't get the obsession with "total silence." My PC is literally 1 foot from my face and I NEVER hear it over a video/game that is playing, and if I'm not playing a video, the fans aren't exactly going crazy.

With the case side on, you can barely hear it over the background noise after it is warmed up. Plus both the intake and exhaust fans have a filter that cut down the noise while cleaning the air. And the computer is in a different room than my entertainment system so it would have to be pretty loud for it to be heard.

Pretty expensive day here:

Samsung 40" LCD TV:
10134111.jpg

LG 5.1 system:
10124497.jpg

I'm having some trouble setting everything up with our PS3 though.

At first we wired the TV's Audio out to the 5.1 via a TOSLink cable and configured the TV to use the Audio out as default speakers, but then the PS3 doesn't seem to be able to use the 5.1 capabilities, it gets stuck in stereo... which kind of sucks...
Then we wired the TOSLink from the PS3 to the 5.1 and we now can use the 5.1 capabilities (which rocks by the way :-D) but then the PS3 is acting kind of weird, the sound works fine but the sound effects from the PS3 user interface seem to have disappeared...

20091213180620.jpg

Finally, a decent portable HD.

Do you find the additional third side button gets in the way, or is it a bonus to have? I've been using the G5/MX518 button layout for so long, it seems like it'd be a bit weird to switch to the three side buttons, or do you get used to it really fast?
Got used to really fast, and you can always rebind.

Also the G500 and G9 use SetPoint 5.x (it can run side by side with 4.x). It's a lot better and is currently using 1.2MB of RAM (if I'm looking at the right process).

https://pic.armedcats.net/v/vi/viper007bond/2010/02/17/setpoint5.png

Does 5.x allow full button mapping ala uberoptions?

Pretty expensive day here:

Samsung 40" LCD TV

LG 5.1 system

I'm having some trouble setting everything up with our PS3 though.

At first we wired the TV's Audio out to the 5.1 via a TOSLink cable and configured the TV to use the Audio out as default speakers, but then the PS3 doesn't seem to be able to use the 5.1 capabilities, it gets stuck in stereo... which kind of sucks...
Then we wired the TOSLink from the PS3 to the 5.1 and we now can use the 5.1 capabilities (which rocks by the way :-D) but then the PS3 is acting kind of weird, the sound works fine but the sound effects from the PS3 user interface seem to have disappeared...

I had a similar problem using the optical audio cable into my Panasonic unit. You can solve the problem by tweaking the settings in the audio menu, i.e. try disabling 5.1 Dolby and enabling another. That's what worked for me.

I had a similar problem using the optical audio cable into my Panasonic unit. You can solve the problem by tweaking the settings in the audio menu, i.e. try disabling 5.1 Dolby and enabling another. That's what worked for me.

Ok, I guess I have to fiddle with the settings then :-D

I bought the Adobe Creative Suite 4 Design Premium from school for $20.00 ... and here's all whats in it and now on my computer;

Acrobat Distiller 9
Acrobat 9 Pro
Bridge CS4
Device Central CS4
Dreamweaver CS4
Drive CS4
ExtendScript Toolkit CS4
Extension Manager CS4
Fireworks CS4
Flash CS4 Professional
Illustrator CS4
InDesign CS4
LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2
Media Encoder CS4
Photoshop CS4
Pixel Bender Toolkit

Lots of new toys/tools to learn :cool:

Does 5.x allow full button mapping ala uberoptions?
Every action you can think of including key binding for the programs that don't understand 10 button mice (for example, a button could do control + shift + S). You can even rebind the DPI increase/decrease buttons!

Logitech doesn't seem to want me to have 5.x. This is annoying.