This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr_Q View Post
    Well, the results are finally in and I can now say that the estimated life left in my SSD is 1 month and 14 days. It's due to die on the 5th of April, as you can imagine I'm not best pleased with this news .
    Since yesterday your average erase count has gone up by 27. That's alarming. On average, every flash cell was erased and overwritten 27 times.
    Couple of explanations possible: Some weird software is moving a lot of data. The controller is panicing. The drive really is a lemon and has gone haywire.

If you really can not find any weird software, as a last-hope attempt you could backup all your data off the SSD, connect it to some system as a non-OS drive, and update its firmware. If there are some controller/drive panic oddities, this might fix them.

After looking at the writes I noticed that the Firefox roaming profile was making quite a few (not excessive though) so I moved it onto another drive. I'm currently monitoring all activity and to my untrained eyes there is nothing unusual occurring.
    That won't be the (main) problem, my Firefox profile also rests on the SSD.

To get a read on potentially weird software, open up the task manager process list. Display all processes. Add the column for I/O-Bytes written.
    After ten days of uptime the most writing process (malware scanner) has clocked up 38GB for me. Obviously, this will only work if the malicious process stays active for long enough to show up near the top.
    Octavia
    Fabia
    Beetle

Comment

Should I be worried about my SSD after the SSDLife returns a 29% health status? It seems that I'm much worse off than most, with less reads and writes than most people.
      http://online.hddlife.com/ssdlife/ac...8aeb6d529c75e1
      Director of Engineering
      Solential Energy

Comment

Originally posted by burnsy View Post
        Should I be worried about my SSD after the SSDLife returns a 29% health status? It seems that I'm much worse off than most, with less reads and writes than most people.
        http://online.hddlife.com/ssdlife/ac...8aeb6d529c75e1
        Your seemingly low write amount needs to be seen in the perspective of only 32GB space. As a result, every flash cell needs to do twice the work compared to a 64GB drive.

The real issue with your life is the erase count. Your worst cells already are 50% over their designed life of 10000 erases, at least according to the SMART data. On average your cells are 71% through their 10000 erases, hence 29% life left.
        Octavia
        Fabia
        Beetle

Comment

Originally posted by Sevs753 View Post
          I didnt do the hibernation or the page file tips. I actually use hibernation often and I've run into that "out of memory" error too many times on machines to disable the page file.
          Hibernation basically writes your ram contents to the file every time you use it.. so if you have 8GB of ram, it has to write most of that to the file. Try using sleep mode instead of hibernate.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiky View Post
            Hibernation basically writes your ram contents to the file every time you use it.. so if you have 8GB of ram, it has to write most of that to the file. Try using sleep mode instead of hibernate.
            Isn't there a way to move hiberfil.sys to another partition (one not on the SSD)? That would probably solve the problem right away. Hibernation is too nice a feature to give up on completely after using it for a while

'01 A6 2.4 (2007-2011) | '10 C200K T (2011-2016) | '10 A5 3.0 TDI (2017) | '08 MX5 2.0 (2017-?) | '18? Model 3 (?)

Everything is air-droppable at least once.

Comment

Pretty much, it's just the health that's gone down by another 1%. I've had my page file on another drive for the majority of the life of this PC, I did have it briefly on my SSD from time to time but not for too long (as far as I'm aware).
              Buy a proper SSD the next time, tsk tsk.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiky View Post
                It does, but that won't really matter. Over a projected life of five years you'd have to hibernate 5.5 times per day to get to 10000 overwrites for the cells that store the hiberfil.sys.
                Five years is a long time for a performance-oriented user's OS drive, and 5.5 times per day also is a lot if your laptop is configured properly. Making it hibernate for every 5min break would obviously go over 5.5 times per day quickly.

leviathan: I don't think so. There are some intricate limitations to Windows' boot process that stop you from moving it - I doubt they've fixed them by now.
                Last edited by narf; February 20th, 2011, 5:38 PM.
                Octavia
                Fabia
                Beetle

Comment

WDTV Live Plus HD (for mum+dad)

DLink DWA-125 to go with it

FTP Update: https://forums.finalgear.com/ftp-thr...welcome-61327/

Comment

Excellent choice in player. There's nothing that thing can't play. The remote is ghastly, though. Logitech Harmony ftw!

Final Gear around the world care package
                    discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                      It does, but that won't really matter. Over a projected life of five years you'd have to hibernate 5.5 times per day to get to 10000 overwrites for the cells that store the hiberfil.sys.
                      Five years is a long time for a performance-oriented user's OS drive, and 5.5 times per day also is a lot if your laptop is configured properly. Making it hibernate for every 5min break would obviously go over 5.5 times per day quickly.
                      Well, now SSDLife is saying that my SSD will die by Nov 15th. I'm probably going to contact OCZ this summer if it keeps degrading like it is.
                      2013 Subaru BRZ. #Handling
                      2004 GMC Yukon. #TowRig and #Daily

Comment

Originally posted by IceBone View Post
                        Excellent choice in player. There's nothing that thing can't play. The remote is ghastly, though. Logitech Harmony ftw!
                        PCH > *

I only got this because it was reasonable and parent-friendly UI, the remote is perfect for them too.
                        FTP Update: https://forums.finalgear.com/ftp-thr...welcome-61327/

Comment

I already have a tire plug kit for the bike, when I saw this little compressor that plugs into my existing battery tender dongle I couldn't pass it up.

No trees were killed in the transmission of this message;
                          but a stupendous number of photons and electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

PCH is a lot more expensive. At least here. And it doesn't perform any better than the WD TV.

Final Gear around the world care package
                            discussion | photos | spreadsheet | map

Comment

Well, the results are finally in and I can now say that the estimated life left in my SSD is 1 month and 14 days. It's due to die on the 5th of April, as you can imagine I'm not best pleased with this news .

After looking at the writes I noticed that the Firefox roaming profile was making quite a few (not excessive though) so I moved it onto another drive. I'm currently monitoring all activity and to my untrained eyes there is nothing unusual occurring.
                              This is why I didn't buy an SSD.
                              2014 Mustang GT - Oxford White
                              Track Pack | 301A | Borla S-Type | Lethal O/R/H | MGW Race-Spec | Eibach Prokit | AED Tuned
                              2015 Ford Edge SEL 2.0 AWD - Wife's DD
                              2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.0T Limited - DD

Comment

Originally posted by JakeRadden View Post
                                This is why I didn't buy an SSD.
                                Or atleast not one with a sandforce controller.

Mathematics is to physics as masturbation is to sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fussion View Post
                                  Or atleast not one with a sandforce controller.
                                  His drive is not a Sandforce drive? As far as I can remember, first-generation Agility drives use an Indilinx controller.

Also, my Sandforce drive holds up nicely.
                                  Octavia
                                  Fabia
                                  Beetle

Comment

Panasonic 46" Full HD plasma. Bit of a step up from my old 68cm Teac CRT. Fuck yeah.

Bloody steal at this price, too. Infact, I bought another for my parents.

Comment

I don't know what you guys are doing to your SSDs... Mine has 2025GB hostwrites on it so far, after 11 months with it. All the tools say its 2,7 percent worn. Which correlates with the total data that can theoretically be written. 74GB * 10000. Intel G2-80GB here...
                                      Is your alignment off or something?

[18:11] MXM: it means buba is better than you now
                                      [18:12] sam-l: In what way?
                                      [18:12] Slycer: longer penis

Comment

Bitches don't know bout my dual screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Topgearfanatic View Post
                                          Bitches don't know bout my dual screens.
                                          Great monitor. I have an older version (H213H) and i love it.
                                          2013 Subaru BRZ. #Handling
                                          2004 GMC Yukon. #TowRig and #Daily

Comment

Working...
                                          X