The "New Toys" Thread

Same thing for you, huge erase count and massive write amount compared to the total read amount suggest things like defragmentation.

I realized that i forgot to make sure that was disabled when i installed the SSD. It's disabled now so hopefully that'll make my SSD last longer. I actually did most of the suggestions on this page. Its a page on a website for the dell mini 10 but its about windows 7 and SSD's so the suggestions will work fine for me. [Link]

This tool interprets C7 differently from HD Tune - maybe it is not really an error counter for this specific disk? the OCZ tool would probably help.

On the life percentage, it's calculated by 1 - (average erase count / maximum PE count). For some reason you have a high erase count compared to the overall life.
I have a suspicion. Check whether automatic defragmentation is turned off. If it is on, turn it off.

I was absolutely paranoid about defragging when I bought my SSD so made sure it was disabled. Indilinx is now reporting something even worse.

Not all hints on that Dell page are good hints.

For example, disabling the pagefile. Either you have enough RAM, then your pagefile as maintained by windows will be small and will see few writes - no harm done by leaving it small but enabled. Or you don't have enough RAM, then disabling the pagefile may leave you one day with a nasty error poopup saying "Sorry, no memory free, kthxbye".

Q: The indilinx picture reports the same data, no?

Last edited:
I didnt do the hibernation or the page file tips. I actually use hibernation often and I've run into that "out of memory" error too many times on machines to disable the page file.

Not all hints on that Dell page are good hints.

For example, disabling the pagefile. Either you have enough RAM, then your pagefile as maintained by windows will be small and will see few writes - no harm done by leaving it small but enabled. Or you don't have enough RAM, then disabling the pagefile may leave you one day with a nasty error poopup saying "Sorry, no memory free, kthxbye".

Q: The indilinx picture reports the same data, no?

Pretty much, it's just the health that's gone down by another 1%. I've had my page file on another drive for the majority of the life of this PC, I did have it briefly on my SSD from time to time but not for too long (as far as I'm aware).

Well, the percentage point just rolled over. 5600/10000 rounded down just make it to 0.56 :)

More scary is your minimum erase count of 3500ish. That means there is no cell on your SSD that was erased less than 3600 times. To me this strongly suggests really bad use of the drive, if not by defragmentation then by some other means of constantly moving and overwriting data.
The high amount of written data (over 3TB) supports this.

Does Vista Basic have the same controls to benefit SSDs that Windows 7 has? I ask, because I would like to replace the HD in this netbook, but it's only got vista.

Well, the percentage point just rolled over. 5600/10000 rounded down just make it to 0.56 :)

More scary is your minimum erase count of 3500ish. That means there is no cell on your SSD that was erased less than 3600 times. To me this strongly suggests really bad use of the drive, if not by defragmentation then by some other means of constantly moving and overwriting data.
The high amount of written data (over 3TB) supports this.

I've got absolutely no clue what could be causing such a large amount of writes. Whatever it was, I'd like to know so I can attempt to stop the damage.

If you really have only written 286GB to the drive in 2.5 months of operation... WTH is the drive doing all day? :tease:

Does Vista Basic have the same controls to benefit SSDs that Windows 7 has? I ask, because I would like to replace the HD in this netbook, but it's only got vista.

The key thing would be if your specific version supports TRIM or not.

I've got absolutely no clue what could be causing such a large amount of writes. Whatever it was, I'd like to know so I can attempt to stop the damage.

If your average erase count keeps increasing (+8 between your SSD Life and Indilinx posts) you should monitor disk activity.

Apparently you can't read the SMART data of a drive when it's in RAID. :(

Apparently you can't read the SMART data of a drive when it's in RAID. :(

i have the same problem in normal hd's.
even the hardware raid-controller can't read anything :p
+ i'm envious about your fashion accessorie viper.

Well, the results are finally in and I can now say that the estimated life left in my SSD is 1 month and 14 days. It's due to die on the 5th of April, as you can imagine I'm not best pleased with this news <_<.

After looking at the writes I noticed that the Firefox roaming profile was making quite a few (not excessive though) so I moved it onto another drive. I'm currently monitoring all activity and to my untrained eyes there is nothing unusual occurring.

HV154K_1ZoomA1001001A08J21A93641A53345.jpg

To replace my Apple ones. Incredible to think that a pair of $10 earphones sound way better than the ones that came with my Shuffle.

The Apple earphones are complete crap. It's really painful to watch people use so much money on an MP3 player and then use earphones that bad.

You can just get other earphones in white.. Then people can still see that you've got an iPod.. :p

Well, the results are finally in and I can now say that the estimated life left in my SSD is 1 month and 14 days. It's due to die on the 5th of April, as you can imagine I'm not best pleased with this news <_<.

Since yesterday your average erase count has gone up by 27. That's alarming. On average, every flash cell was erased and overwritten 27 times.
Couple of explanations possible: Some weird software is moving a lot of data. The controller is panicing. The drive really is a lemon and has gone haywire.

If you really can not find any weird software, as a last-hope attempt you could backup all your data off the SSD, connect it to some system as a non-OS drive, and update its firmware. If there are some controller/drive panic oddities, this might fix them.

After looking at the writes I noticed that the Firefox roaming profile was making quite a few (not excessive though) so I moved it onto another drive. I'm currently monitoring all activity and to my untrained eyes there is nothing unusual occurring.

That won't be the (main) problem, my Firefox profile also rests on the SSD.

To get a read on potentially weird software, open up the task manager process list. Display all processes. Add the column for I/O-Bytes written.
After ten days of uptime the most writing process (malware scanner) has clocked up 38GB for me. Obviously, this will only work if the malicious process stays active for long enough to show up near the top.

Should I be worried about my SSD after the SSDLife returns a 29% health status? It seems that I'm much worse off than most, with less reads and writes than most people.
http://online.hddlife.com/ssdlife/acf7fe996a556228638aeb6d529c75e1

Your seemingly low write amount needs to be seen in the perspective of only 32GB space. As a result, every flash cell needs to do twice the work compared to a 64GB drive.

The real issue with your life is the erase count. Your worst cells already are 50% over their designed life of 10000 erases, at least according to the SMART data. On average your cells are 71% through their 10000 erases, hence 29% life left.

I didnt do the hibernation or the page file tips. I actually use hibernation often and I've run into that "out of memory" error too many times on machines to disable the page file.
Hibernation basically writes your ram contents to the file every time you use it.. so if you have 8GB of ram, it has to write most of that to the file. Try using sleep mode instead of hibernate.

Hibernation basically writes your ram contents to the file every time you use it.. so if you have 8GB of ram, it has to write most of that to the file. Try using sleep mode instead of hibernate.

Isn't there a way to move hiberfil.sys to another partition (one not on the SSD)? That would probably solve the problem right away. Hibernation is too nice a feature to give up on completely after using it for a while :)