The "New Toys" Thread

aka, "here's a refurb"?

Not necessarily a bad thing. :) The power button on my 5S crapped out after 11 months and a couple of days. I sent it in and got what essentially was a brand new phone back. I was told everything was new except the logic board.

When it's at the end of it's warranty, that seems acceptable. I had Panasonic try that shit with me on a brand new camera. Took it out of the box, had an issue. Called them with the box still in my lap from opening it, and they said I would get a refurbished unit back after a long phone call about getting it fixed. I ended up just exchanging it at the store since it was so new and let them deal with the issue.

The rule is under 30 days straight swap, anything over that is supposed to be sent away.
Mine died at about 38. The issue is I bought it from a company that I used to work for, albeit a different store in the city and the girl on the till is a friend. I bought the extended cover, but the manager whinged that it had to be sent away. Even though technically I could have cancelled my extended cover, which would have hurt their store targets.

As i'm sure you're aware, I am an idiot.
Which is why I bought 6 of these...

YOKO built-in monochrome Tele-fucking-vision!!! :shock: :-o :-o
It has a front mounted VCR connector. :cool:
Magnifier add-on. :mrgreen:
Weird 'black box'

IMG_20160519_171352.jpg

IMG_20160519_171442.jpg

IMG_20160519_171453.jpg

IMG_20160519_171509.jpg

I sold 5 in 30 minutes to the autoshite lot and I may keep one, as it's the stupidest thing i've ever seen.

What the actual fuck. So many questions.

I assume it receives analogue terrestrial TV signals? Are those even still broadcast in the UK? In Germany, you wouldn't get anything to watch on one of those :) Not that you could see anything in the first place...

Also, "VCR" button? What medium does it record on? Or do you connect an external device to it - in that case, what kind of device, that can be used in a car?

I don't even...

In all fairness, wiring up a reversing camera to one of these might even be doable. In which case it gets a legitimate use :p

Last edited:
*stop car*

*Put into reverse*

iJdkMv.gif

*Give up and use your mirrors.*

Last edited:
I bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre Y900 gaming PC.

ideacenter_y700_still_0003-1500x1000.jpg

4.0 GHz Intel i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD with a 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 graphics card

A 25" LG gaming monitor

24-025-340-TS

and a Canon Pixma printer

28-142-951-01.jpg

as well as a Visco Logic gaming chair (red and black to match the computer) for me to sit upon.

41eqxUDfTDL._SY450_.jpg

I wish I had the skills to build my own pc, but I lack the technical know how and hand-eye coordination to do so. :(

Last edited:
I wish I had the skills to build my own pc, but I lack the technical know how and hand-eye coordination to do so. :(

It sounds like you haven't ever tried, because it's no harder than putting a few lego pieces together.

I bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre Y900 gaming PC.

ideacenter_y700_still_0003-1500x1000.jpg

4.0 GHz Intel i7 6700K, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 256GB SSD with a 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 graphics card

A 25" LG gaming monitor

24-025-340-TS

and a Canon Pixma printer

28-142-951-01.jpg

as well as a Visco Logic gaming chair (red and black to match the computer) for me to sit upon.

41eqxUDfTDL._SY450_.jpg

:( If my uncoordinated ass can do it, you definitely can. It's easy.

The most stressful part of it for me was probably getting the mobo installed but that's because I'm ultra paranoid. It definitely wasn't difficult.

You've also got plenty of build your own PC help here and on the FG IRC (Ice helped me out last minute on a RAM issue I ran into) as well.
It sounds like you haven't ever tried, because it's no harder than putting a few lego pieces together.
Yup!

I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole of prebuilt vs build your own PC as there are plenty of arguments for each, but if skill is the only limitation, you shouldn't worry about it. There's little more to it than operating a screwdriver and fitting some plugs together. The hardest part is working out the tiny plugs for the case buttons and lights and getting the extra cables out of the way. Plus there are a billion online tutorials and videos.

That said, congrats on saving yourself from the wonderful feeling of trying to figure out why your newly built PC won't boot :D

Agreed - there are even guides out there that list every part you should buy along with sources, so you don't even have to know anything about the merits of one component versus a competitor or whether each part will work with each other.

Anyway, bought myself one of these:

41FtBMbvl0L.jpg

It's a Makita 6933FD 3/8" drive impact wrench. Got it in a set with a charger and two batteries for cheeeeeeeep.

The most stressful part of it for me was probably getting the mobo installed but that's because I'm ultra paranoid. It definitely wasn't difficult.

I always stress the most about getting the thermal paste on the CPU just right (not too much and not too little), and the cooler to sit correctly. Even after a decade and countless CPU installations I still worry about that.

Do you polish your heat sink contact area?

Make it shine like a mirror and it will work better.

Do you polish your heat sink contact area?

Make it shine like a mirror and it will work better.

I do, or actually what I do is I clean it, and then rub silver compound into it, which fills the natural pores of the copper. You can literally see the difference with the naked eye.

I always stress the most about getting the thermal paste on the CPU just right (not too much and not too little), and the cooler to sit correctly. Even after a decade and countless CPU installations I still worry about that.
Only not enough thermal paste matters. If you use non-conductive paste you can literally drown the cpu in it and there will be no difference. Not enough, though, and you may get gaps in the layer, which will create a less than optimal connection.
Do you polish your heat sink contact area? Make it shine like a mirror and it will work better.
Only if you have a really really crappy heatsink that's nowhere near flat at the bottom, but today's manufacturing processes make this redundant.

He has:

[video=youtube;rAid5G30-WM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAid5G30-WM[/video]

On a graphics card, though.

EDIT: I should explain that I was exaggerating, actually drowning the CPU in thermal paste may lead to it leaking into the socket, which will not be good, but if you avoid that, "too much" won't hurt the cooling.

Last edited: