You mean the famous Nokia pattern?
Once you go Fin, you never give in :p

Amen. Nokia FTW.

n97-nokia.jpg

Worth Every Penny, Nokia N97

yup, got your v2.0 yet? it's amazing!!!

Amen. Nokia FTW.

yup, got your v2.0 yet? it's amazing!!!

Yes, i have. it's ten times better than the previous firmwares!
But i still have some sync issues with ovi suite. Doesn't copy all of my messages for some reason or other.

Our Mobile Phone Histories

Our Mobile Phone Histories

I made a picture of all the models of mobile phone that I've owned because I wanted to see the progression.
MyMobiles-1.jpg

I started off with an Ericsson A1018s, which I replaced with a Nokia 3315. When I wanted a colour screen and a camera, I got rid of the Nokia and bought a second-hand Motorola C550. I then upgraded from that to a Sony Ericsson K750i. After a while I started using the K750i to browse the net and that made me want a bigger screen, so I upgraded to a Nokia N95. I switched carriers from Vodafone to Telstra to get better coverage and my N95 wasn't programmed to work with the Telstra's mobile "BigPond" webpage, so I bought a cheap Samsung C5220 to use when I wanted to access BigPond for live football scores. Eventually I bought an HTC Desire from Telstra and have been deliriously happy with it ever since.

Last edited:
My phone history can be summed up rather quickly.

Rather old Nokia (similar to the one above), never used it then lost it (wasn't mine anyway). 8 or so years without a Phone, iPhone 4 bought in Septemer '10, still use it.

My first phone was an Ericcson GH197
ericsson-gh197-1.jpg

While this brick was brilliant in areas with bad network coverage due to it's head-warmingly powerful transmitter, it was too big for everyday use, so i traded it for a NEC G9:
necg9gsm.jpg

After that followed a string of mostly unremarkable Nokias, including the original 3110, the "outdoor" 5210 and 5140 (which did not even last a year each) and a return to the brick for factor with the massive original Communicator:
nokia-9000communicator.jpg

After my second "outdoor" Nokia died on me in 2006, i had a series of secondhand phones from friends, including a Motorola RAZR (which keys suddenly stopped working) and a Samsung Slider of some kind.
Not i got a iPhone 3G and am eyeing a switch to an Android phone, most likely the HTC Desire Z (which is the semi-official successor to my girlfriend's G1, which i love).

Last edited:
puhelimet.jpg

First phone I had was Siemens C35i, which UI I did not like at all, and I changed it just after a month of use to Nokia 3310. After year and a half I traded it for Nokia 3410, which I had for one year before trading it to Nokia 6610, which I think was probably the best phone I have ever had. It had to withstand insane amount of battering but still kept working. After few years I got bored of it and bought Nokia 6101, which I broke in less than a year. I bought a cheap Nokia 6021 as a replacement, but got quicly bored of the lack of features, and bought Nokia 6120c. I had it for 3 years, and it was amazing phone. It was also very sturdy. It survived a drop of 10 metres to concrete with no damage expect few scratches. Eventually I got bored of it too, and wanted something with a touch screen. I bought Nokia C7, which I have been using for few months now, and which I'm very pleased with.

Last edited:
As every schoolboy at the time, I started with a cheap Nokia -- 3510 but got mugged and switched to a classic model -- Nokia 7100. At the time phones were getting smaller and shinier, so I ditched it and got a shiny new Samsung D500. Used it literally until the buttons fell off, and bought myself a Sony Ericsson K800, which is still the best phone I've ever had. Sadly, lost it on a beach only to find a Nokia N95 the same night at a bar. I still dread that stupid thing and want to kill it with fire. Used it for almost 3 years though. A few months ago finally got really pissed with the Nokia and got myself another Samsung with Android.

phonehistory.png

Phone 1- Nokia 2100, given to me by my grandmother as a Christmas pressie in 2003. At the time, a pretty good phone with Snake II on it and you could change the case (so I got all gthe tacky Paul Frank cases and a fuscia Hello Kitty one I loved!!!). Only broke once (power button stopped working), and I got it fixed. Used it til about November 2005.

Phone 2- NEC n342i- don't ask. My mum got 2 of them free with her Motorola v3, and free was too much. Tacky piece of crap made for using that stupid i-mode thig only, and I couldn't use that because I was on pre-paid with no data. Glad to get rid of it a year or so later.

Phone 3- Motorola v3x- present from my parents, and also marked my progression from pre-paid to plans (and as such good phones). Alright, but horrible battery life and a glitchy OS (would freeze a ton). Stolen by some lowlife at my work whilst it was in my bag.

Phone 4- Nokia 6085- 2007-ish. cheap replacement for my stolen Motorola. Ok, but couldn't live up to the v3x. Bit on par with the NEC. Connector for the earuds was crap too- couldn't listen to music in class as it would randomly fail and my music would be blared out of its tinny little speakers.

Phone 5- Sony Ericsson w810i. Another Christmas present- 2008. Ok, similar dodgy connector for headphones problem. Also had a loose battery, so if I even sightly tapped it against something the phone would die.

Phone 6- Sony Ericsson w595- plan phone, got it in January 2009. Ok, but nothing special. Shit battery life, and same dodgy connector and loose battery problems.

Phone 7/8- iPhone 3GS 16GB. I started the iPhone revolution in my family (I have lost count of the amount of iPhones in my extended family now!) when I begged for one as my 18th birthday present in 2009. Love the damn thing to bits. Listed as phone 7 and 8 as technicaly the one I have now isn't the one I was given as my present- that one had to be replaced due to a failing home button. But I still love it, and he replacement is going great guns so far (touch wood). May be replaced next month, depending on the deal I can get for a new phone vs a BYO plan. I am getting accustomed to buying the phone outright, because apple customer service beats the service providers any day. But if I can get a really good iPhone 4 deal/other phone (probably a blackbery of some sort), I will (and just go back to an iPod touch to keep all my apps on).

Nokia 5110
Panasonic Something or other
Sony CMD-J5
Ericsson T39
Ericsson Outdoor/waterproof thing
Nokia 8210
Nokia 6310i
Motorola V70
SonyEricsson T610
Samsung D600
Samsung E900
Samsung U700
Apple iPhone 2G
LG Cookie
HTC Desire

So a pretty long list actually.

Last edited:
Siemens M35

Same as the C35 but in a spalsh proof/dust proof/shock resistant case:

tumblr_l1704k3cye1qa6emmo1_400.jpg

This phone didnt actually last that long, the battery keeled over and even a replacement battery after that didnt really do much for it.

Next (and I can't believe I've remembered this) was a Samsung X600. This was an awesome phone, with its swivelling camera and LED ring flash. You could also make the button in the middle flash all kinds of colours.

samsung_sgh-x600_add_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure there were other phones inbetween and after those two but to be honest I can't remember at all. The next phone I got was my first contract phone. The sony K800i. This was a bloody good phone, great screen, digital FM radio, Awesome 3.2MP camera and really long battery life. It was just a nice phone, never had any problems with it.

sonyericsson-k800-00.jpg

Then I switched from Orange to O2 and decided to get a new phone. I lent this one to my brother who promptly broke it by charging it with the wrong charger and for my troubles I got to chose between 2 phones from O2: The Nokia 6500 or 6500 Slide. I went with the Slide

nokia_6500_slide.jpg

Why oh why did I feel the need to swap from the sony? I think I actually took a downgrade (well I did go from ?35pm to ?20pm)! Anyway this Nokia was my first Nokia and now my last Nokia. What a pile of shit this phone was. The OS looked old and clunky and in operation it was exactly that.... clunky. The screen was worse than the sony, the camera was shockingly bad, the media capabilities were worse, build quality was pretty awful (ill fitting panels, scrapes up the keyboard from the slider)... the only things that were good were the battery (for a while) and the call quality. Eventually this phone started doing wierd things, the memory card would mount and dismount (in the OS) over and over again 100's of times a day and this would fuck everything up. It made the phone slow to respond, made cycling through menus horrible and for some reason it would stop the phone linking names to phone numbers so when I went to view messages I had little idea who was who as it was all just a pile of +44 numbers.

So I had to remove the memory card, which fixed the stuttering but didnt fix the forgetting names problem.

The next phone doesnt count really as I got it for nothing. My brother chose this phone as an upgrade, but It never got mailed to him. After 3 further requests for the company to mail him his phone he eventually found out that the guy in the post room downstairs (living in university halls) had actually recieved them, but never bothered to tell anyone. So he had three Nokia 5800 Xpress Musics from Orange!!! He thought he could sell them and gave one to me, but Orange had, assuming they'd be stolen, black listed the phones IMEI number so they wouldnt work.

Nokia-5800-XpressMusic-2.jpg

So I never got to use it as a phone, but I did use it as a means to watch Iplayer in bed. The build Quality was a bit naff and the plastic, resistive touch screen was clumsy. Again the OS was just awful when you considered all the Samsung, LG and Iphone OS's of the time. My girl friend had this phone for a while as well, an unwanted upgrade from her dads phone contract. The phone was replaced at least twice because of the screens whacking out completely, making the phone unusable. Same thing happened to my brothers. On the whole my family and friends experience of nokia phones has been dismal.

Next up... possibly the best device I have ever purchased. Genuinely amazing and useful bit of kit. It is of course the iPhone 3GS

apple-iphone-3g-s.jpg

Never have I owned such a good device. Its got its problems like naff battery life, iffy call quality, but as a tool its amazing. Emails any where any time, my music any time, the web, youtube, games, videos, information, tools like calculators, converters, reference, documents, maps, gps, flickr, youtube, iplayer etc etc ... all at the finger tips (providing you have 3G or WiFi... damn you O2!!!). It and the phones and OS's its now spawned (Android, WebOS etc) surely have to be one of the best inventions in the mobile phone arena ever. I could live without the other phones, I could live without the Smart phone... but I'd rather not.

iPhone 4 next for me, though I am second guessing it because I am a bit bored of iOS.

This is a very amusing thread to read. Different phones and preferences for each one. Getting nostalgic here :cry:

Here's mine:

(photos courtesy of GSMarena)

Phone 1: Nokia 3210
no3210_00.jpg

- First phone ever. Got it in 8th grade when it first came out. The fad before was changing the casing from different colors to airbrushed designs. I also replaced the LED backlight..3 times! neon green, bright blue, then brilliant white. Had fun customizing this as a kid. Lol.

Phone 2: Nokia 6310i
no6310i_00.jpg

- One of the best phones I've owned. One of the first phones with bluetooth as well so even if i had this for 3 years enduring every drop and abuse, I could still keep up with the newer colored phones. :p

Phone 3: Nokia 8910
no8910.gif

- one word. Sexy.

Phone 4: Motorola RAZR V3
mov3_00.jpg

- Until today I think this is the prettiest phone ever made. bought it when it was new for USD900++. Worth every cent.

Phone 5: Motorola RAZR V3i
motorola_v3i_00.jpg

- had to sell my V3 to help my gf buy a new phone because it was stolen. By this time, the V3 has dropped considerably in price. I actually regret getting the V3 when i couldve gotten the 8800 and it hasn't depreciated as much as the V3.

Phone 6: Motorola RAZR V3x
motorola_v1150_00.jpg

- Still going with the RAZR love, I had to get the V3x as well. 2MP camera back then was the bomb!

Phone 7: Nokia N73 + 2gb mem
nokia-n73-00.jpg

- My first nokia in a long time. AND IT SUCKED!!! slow as crap and hung like hell. I was kinda glad it got stolen. hahaha

Phone 8: Nokia 8800
nokia-8800-00.jpg

- Finally bought my dream phone 4 years after it came out. It has been left behind by technology but you can't argue with a timeless classic. I bought it used and it broke down after a year. The parts and cost to fix it was the cost of a brand new nokia. Nevermind. It's like buying a ferrari. Nice to have, nice to own, but a b*tch when it's blown.

Phone 9: LG KM900 8gb
lg-km900-arena-001.jpg

- Reading reviews all over the web about how good this phone is. I was FOOLED into buying it. It sucks! hung all the time, no app support, super slow, etc etc etc. It also depreciated faster than any phone out there. after less than a year, I sold it at 1/3 it's price and got this:

Phone 10: Nokia E71 (black w/ 8gb microSD)
nokia-e71x.jpg

- Bought this used. I had the option of getting the newer E72 but I was cash strapped and had to settle for this. next to the 6310i, this is the best phone I have ever had in terms of usability, durability, battery life, etc etc etc. I still have it now and I love it to bits.

Phone 11: Samsung I900 Omnia 16gb White
samsung-i900-00.jpg

- Another GSM arena reviewed phone saying it was awesome. It's NOT. The phone is very hard, interface is clunky, and a hassle to type messages. It was also unresponsive and frustrating. My brother gave this to me since I needed a 2nd phone for my 2 sim cards and he already had a 3GS and an Iphone4.

Phone 12: Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000 16gb (w/ 16gb microSD + froyo 2.2.1 on Darky's V9.1 ROM)
samsung-galaxy-s-00.jpg

- Best decision I have ever made (was choosing this vs. the iphone4). Replaced my Omnia with this and never looked back since. The Omnia is now rotting on my table. The stock Samsung ROM sucks big time, hence the need to install a custom ROM like darky's V9.1 ultimate edition. No lag, 2-3day batt life, super smooth scrolling and response, and unlimited customization. Beat that Apple!!!!

- planning to get a 32gb Class 10 microSD as the Class 4 i have now is barely sufficient.

Dream phone:
Nokia 8800 Carbon Arte
nokia-8800-carbon-arte-1.jpg

- absolutely impractical but being a car nut, having a CF phone is simply mad!

Hope you enjoyed my little history lesson :)

Last edited: